Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Ok, after reboot worked.
Sorry to bother, but didn't go thru the whole (10 pages long) thread looking for the answer before...

OK, so what exactly was the problem, and how did you fix it?

I am thinking it sounds like what I have seen on some cards. It just fails, and until you reboot and run again it will continue to fail. It has something to do with the repartitioning. Some card handle it fine it seems, and some it seems need to be rebooted in order to be useable after a repartition.

Glad to hear you eventually had success.

I updated original post

IF YOU COMPLETE THE INSTALL AND THE CLONE WONT BOOT, OR IF THE INSTALL FAILS. BOOT/REBOOT BACK TO FLASH AND RUN IT A SECOND TIME (LET IT UPDATE) THIS SHOULD FIX IT. SOME CARDS SEEM TO NEED TO BE REBOOTED BEFORE BEING USEFULL AFTER PARTITIONING

If you look at the log output below you can see what is happening. Even though the script called it to reread the partition table, apparently it read the old one, and it did not create the needed devices we just created (/dev/mmcblk1pX) Rebooting and allowing the system to reread the card, it now will have the devices when it boots. Its possible that just removing the card, and then re-inserting it may work also, but I have not tested.

LOG OUTPUT
mke2fs 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
Could not stat /dev/mmcblk1p2 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
mkswap: can't open '/dev/mmcblk1p3': No such file or directory
swapon: can't stat '/dev/mmcblk1p3': No such file or directory

mkdir: cannot create directory '/device': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory '/flash': File exists
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk1p2 on /device failed
ERROR
SD CARD IS IN USE - SAVE DEB TO FLASH AND RE-RUN
ERROR
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I did not fix it actually.
I ran it, it failed, rebooted, "updated" it and this time it worked.
And yes, it HAS to do with repartitioning. And dunno if you CAN do something about it.
The very same issue appears if I repartition a card in the tablet from a Linux machine via USB. The tablet coninues to see the old partition map.

About your test I am sorry I can't try it. Just finished re-configuring almost everything.
The 'real' problem is if one wants to clone the FS to the internal 2Gb card of the N810.

Did you try a "sync" after the re-partitioning in your scripts ?

Last edited by anidel; 2008-05-15 at 14:29.

I did not fix it actually.
I ran it, it failed, rebooted, "updated" it and this time it worked.
And yes, it HAS to do with repartitioning. And dunno if you CAN do something about it.
The very same issue appears if I repartition a card in the tablet from a Linux machine via USB. The tablet coninues to see the old partition map.

About your test I am sorry I can't try it. Just finished re-configuring almost everything.
The 'real' problem is if one wants to clone the FS to the internal 2Gb card of the N810.

Did you try a "sync" after the re-partitioning in your scripts ?

The original script install-tools.deb worked fine on the internal 810. But I did have to reboot and re-run. I do call it to reread, it just must not be working on some cards.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

is it possible use firesystem with EXT3

I know EXT2/EXT3 just like fat32/ntfs

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
The original script install-tools.deb worked fine on the internal 810. But I did have to reboot and re-run. I do call it to reread, it just must not be working on some cards.
Yes... the issue is the "reboot" part.

Yes... the issue is the "reboot" part.
While it may be an "issue" it is a very minor one, I think? As you said, even doing this manually you would have to reboot.

And I am pretty sure using this is way faster that doing it manually, even for me.

I dont see any way, I can fix this. OK OK, I dont see anyway, I am going to fix that.

I could create a two deb process with a reboot between them, but I am lazy and this is working good

Originally Posted by haoside View Post
I know EXT2/EXT3 just like fat32/ntfs

I would have to change some scripting, but its possible to do. But I honestly am not sure you would want to do this?

I have not looked into the performance implications on using ext3 over ext2 on such a low power device. Its possible performance could be hurt by using ext3?

I am sure Fanoush or someone will jump in here clarify this?

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
While it may be an "issue" it is a very minor one, I think? As you said, even doing this manually you would have to reboot.
Yes, absolutely. I know it's a minor one

And I am pretty sure using this is way faster that doing it manually, even for me.

I dont see any way, I can fix this. OK OK, I dont see anyway, I am going to fix that.

I could create a two deb process with a reboot between them, but I am lazy and this is working good
It's not worth it
Spend you time in better ways.

Thanks!

OK, I did not use this .deb (I wanted some things rather more complicated; I'll post what all I did do later...), but I have a suggestion: If you open the cover for whichever SD you're working with, ITOS will refrain from trying to mount it. But the device remains accessible, so I think this should work well with the .deb. I think this might eliminate some of the reboot needs around here... Comments, PB?

(And if I was anyone considering using this trick, I would definitely wait for further input; I think what I just said makes sense, and it seemed to work, but you really should wait for someone who knows the stuff to at least say they don't think it'll break things...)

Tags
deprecated