Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I absolutely would pay for an "internal SD slot". I'd been trying to figure out ways to create one myself off of the external USB port (ha!), and this sounds like it would be much much nicer.

Throw in a tilt sensor and I will worship you forever.
The tilt sensor is possible but I do not think enough people would want it. Also it does not have anything to do with the SD card adapter, This could be added later.

Thanks

Originally Posted by dan View Post
Craves1 is it possible to add another sdhc card slot to n800? Also could you add IR and tilt to n800? I'm just waiting for n900. Would it be possible to add sim card? I use pay as you go sim card where ever I travel. I don't care about cost. Send me pm. Thanks
Sim cards are not possible due to FCC and many other factors. I wish but I did look at some of the 3G USB cards with this Idea and decided that my cell was enough given the cost of doing this

Thanks

For anyone still wondering what the tablet would look like with the memory adapter installed, this is the cover from the MUGEN extended battery with the adapter installed.
Name:  Extended cover with adapter.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  27.1 KB
As you can see there are no wires shown on the outside of the tablet. The final cover will be thinner than this. I am using this cover to test until I have my cover. This Tablet have the first run prototype boards installed in it, with a 16GB SD card installed. I am using this for testing this week and so far no issues at all.[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_2039.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  40.2 KB[/ATTACH]

I am making a version for people with the extended battery. The inside supports would have to be removed but this is simple
Attached Images

Nice work. It looks great!

Your N810 conversion is close to what I'm looking for except for the 2gb internal card. I really need two full size sdhc cards. Is that possible? I carry enormous amounts of audio/video for work. A third card would even be better. The extended battery would take of extra juice for the extra sdhc slot or modifying the internal card or both(I always carry an extra battery or two when I travel).
Can anything be done about the terrible camera? The community is starting to make some really interesting software to remotely control the camera.
If you add IR and tilt the community will make the software trust me. These guys live and breathe this stuff. Can you imagine Nxx acting like full remotes for all home/auto electronics. The Irreco guys would go crazy same for MythTV group. Tilt brings in whole new possiblities(look at what the fruit guys are doing). They would probably jump ship. Rob did good business with these guys with his USB OTG conversion. Which brings me to a tv/hdmi port? Is that possible?

As far as phone, I had been toying with finding a very thin phone and attaching to back with custom housing so I would have a phone on one side and N800 on other. I have a very slim motorola that is would easily fit where N800 removable back plate sits and it would make the N800 evenly thick across the back because of the hump in the back. Not the greatest idea but it would combine the two. Your 3g USB is a better idea. What would that cost to do?
I'm sold I just want to know my options. Even if the N900 comes with 2 full sdhc slots, better camera, etc... I will still have you modify it. Nokia will never add the stuff we modders want and need. keep up the good work.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
First off, great works looks awesome can't wait to see the final result! I know a lot of the 810 people are very unhappy with the current memory card situation so this a neat solution that solves it quite easily.

Watch out there Dan, you and your wild dreams! ;o) I'm not going to get into details (and thus hijack the original thread here), but some of Dan's points:
2nd fullsize card = doubt it, from my understanding the internal flash chip is soldered to the circuit and while there have been some "joking" discussions of how one might go about changing it out, it's definately not something that you'd ever be able to do without a rediculously stead hand and expert soldering skills (and even then...).
3rd card? = Even less likely than the previous point due to hardware restrictions. More controller pins/etc would have be on the chips... so USB or BT is really the only place to go beyond what's natively there.
Camera will change in the next version of the tablet (one hopes), but again changing it out right now would require the soldering skills again, along with another camera that's hardware compatible and physically similiarly sized... along with software, etc for it.
IR and Tilt = Don't have a nice solution for the N810 (damn that micro USB slot), but my solution for the N800 literally just walked in the door... so keep an eye out for an announce soon!
TV = there was some experimentation with USB to VGA/tv out, but the hardware just doesn't seem ready; a lot of people have been talking about this as a feature of the next tablet...

lol well, I guess that's one way to get a phone on the tablet! Reminds me of the old "camera phone" joke about duck taping a camera to the back of your cell... might make repacing batteries a bit of a pain though ;-)

Thanks,
-Rob

To add 3G capabilities (but not necessarily voice!), an ExpressCard is the obvious way to go. Typically a USB interface (which we've got) and constrained to a fairly convenient form factor.

Some models do support voice, but I'm not sure how well they'd work out.

Rob great to have you back.
Did you ever look at the Easy Debian work? The apps that can now be used on N800 is staggering. Can't wait for QT to start adding to the mix.
Back to discussion at hand.
I'm just throwing ideas out to you engineering wunderkind. The new high speed sdhc cards have made it possible with dual booting to have multiple apps running at same time. If we have more hardware choices the guys here will find unique ways of using it. Your OTG adapter really opened up the Nxx platform to mouses and keyboard and later Nokia adapted it into the software.
Looking forward to your IR and Tilt especially since I now have rotation on my N800. My GPS will also benefit from that.
I wonder, can the extra battery be put in the N800?
Craves1 can you do that? I'm sure a lot of N800 owners would jump at that.
At the end of the day hardware modders like the two of you will make quite a bit offering add-ons that Nokia will most likely not do on their own at first due mainly to market forces.

Kooll dude if this is possible then my all problems would be completed ..

please show me exactly how is it possible..

Thankz for sharing such a great stuff..

=======================
rishabh02

Massachusetts Treatment Centers

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Craves1, Couple of questions..
1. If I buy the adapter with your battery cover, is it possible to later on get the Mugen battery and move the guts from your battery cover to theirs? Or should I just buy the Mugen battery now and order the guts separately?

2. Will both the one that works with the Mugen be available at the same time as the one with your battery cover?

3. What are the odds that I might be able to obtain one (either of them) before the end of October? Going to be traveling abroad and your SD adapter is perfect for long plane/train/car rides to have plenty of media handy.

Thanks

Originally Posted by scanman717 View Post
Craves1, Couple of questions..
1. If I buy the adapter with your battery cover, is it possible to later on get the Mugen battery and move the guts from your battery cover to theirs? Or should I just buy the Mugen battery now and order the guts separately?

2. Will both the one that works with the Mugen be available at the same time as the one with your battery cover?

3. What are the odds that I might be able to obtain one (either of them) before the end of October? Going to be traveling abroad and your SD adapter is perfect for long plane/train/car rides to have plenty of media handy.

Thanks
scanman717

1 Yes you can use the Mugen battery cover with the adapter that was not designed for that cover. If you want to buy the Mugen cover to be safe that is up to you. The Mugen battery will not fit in my cover. There will be a big Holiday the First of October where the cover is being manufactured.

2. They will be available at the same time. It should be sometime before the end of September or first of October.

3. The odds are good you should be able to take it on your trip. You shoud be able to get on before the end of September or first of October providing the cover is correct.

Thanks

Tags
16gb on n810, 32g n810, memory upgards for n810, memory upgrade n810