Poll: Do your N900 have Dead or Stuck pixel?
Poll Options
Do your N900 have Dead or Stuck pixel?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Well "dead" means black. I only got a white one so that means "stuck". On the web, flashing the opposite color and sending a strong input to the screen is claimed to be a solution.
So maybe on the next fw update some more juice will be sent to the screen to shake those pixels up.

Even if you have a dark pixel it might be stuck on black; actual dead pixels are something very rare these days.
A dead pixel is a full pixel, that is all 3 sub-pixels, that doesn't work - be it always on or always off (depends on the screen's default state, there are screens which doesn't block the light by default). There is a further classification of dead pixels by dead sub-pixels - when one or more of the sub-pixels doesn't work properly (so it appears to show a light of some color / doesn't show some color). Stuck pixels refer to the later problem in most cases, but those are curable by rapid screen flashing - if a sub-pixel is really dead, there is no utility that can fix it, if it's stuck it would fix itself within a dozen of minutes, so if screen flashing videos / utilities doesn't fix it in 10-20 minutes, it's safe to assume that it's not stuck but dead indeed.

However, sometime it's not the screen that is faulty, but the software - for example there might be a problem with framebuffer rendering some of the pixels badly or screen driver might acting up - in that case a firmware update might be a viable solution. Framebuffer problems are easily diagnosed by taking a screenshot on the device - if the screenshot have dead/weird pixels, it's safe to assume that the screen is working properly but the software is acting up. It's a bit more complicated if the screen driver makes the problem, tho... Either way, if that is a problem, a firmware update might be able to fix it.

Actual dead pixels/sub-pixels are as common as they were couple of years ago, actually they are even more common these days as miniaturization poses further manufacturing difficulties - they are just not as visible as they were when you had 800x600 resolution on a 17" screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
ok seriously what i have is a white one occasionally on certain backgrounds and it moves if i touch the screen..

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
My N900 is going back now, i have enough
I put a drop of water on my invisible shield where the pixel is to magnify it, and i saw that it is a lot more than one The pixels are more then two or three in the same row, it looks like -. Hopefully i get a new device ....... in a few weeks

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Magel282 View Post
Can someone else please take some pictures of their suspect pixels as I'd love to compare them.
I'd love to but my camera is not good enough, it just comes out as a big blur.

I will ask again, how can I printscreen on the n900?

There is a key combination shortcut I believe, see manual and then there's the very handy load-applet that you can install; it's very useful in my opinion.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
I will ask again, how can I printscreen on the n900?
Ctrl + Shift + P

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Ctrl + Shift + P
Thanks very much but what do I do then? How do I paste it? What program do I need to paste into?

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
you can also take a snap of your screen if you oress on the battery- then press the camera then you have 20 secs to press the camera shoot button- the file will be in images..

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
you can also take a snap of your screen if you oress on the battery- then press the camera then you have 20 secs to press the camera shoot button- the file will be in images..
Thanks, printscreens were found in the images folder like you said. I transfered these over to my PC and I can confirm, the white pixels are NOT present on the screenshots. Does this mean software cannot fix this? It's a hardware issue?

Anyone contacted Nokia UK recently? They still haven't gotten back to me.

Last edited by gohan2091; 2010-01-04 at 07:05.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovakia/Bratislava
ok guys, I have managed to create small python script that will endlessly switch between black, red, green, blue and white.
here is the script:
Code:
import sys, pygame, random, time
pygame.init()

size = width, height = 800, 480
speed = [2, 2]
colors = [ [255,255,255], [0,0,0], [255,0,0], [0,255,0], [0,0,255] ]
screen = pygame.display.set_mode(size)
pygame.display.toggle_fullscreen()
pygame.mouse.set_visible(0);
while 1:
    for event in pygame.event.get():
        if event.type == pygame.QUIT: sys.exit()
    time.sleep(0.001)
    screen.fill(colors[random.randint(0,3)])
    pygame.display.flip()
just one thing I miss - how to disable screensaver?
or there might be someone who will optimize the script, as this is my first python app(I prefer other langs)

Tags
stop the pixel genocide!!, who is murdering pixels??