Ah, the joys of dealing with proprietary garbage.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
anyone who as been buying Nokia over the years should know by now they do things like this, to give ppl excuses why they want to/should upgrade there device.
Its a practice what is getting old and needs to change now competitors are offering such new things on existing hardware.
I hope MeeGo becomes mainstream enough across all the different targets so we no longer have to rely on hardware manufacturers.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-09-30 at 16:03.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Unlike a real desktop computer, Flash on those deal with a desktop variant of the browser that works in a generic x86 environment that's dictated by those browsers. They deal directly with Microsoft for ActiveX/Internet Explorer, Google for Google Chrome, Mozilla for Firefox. So in essence, they'd have to deal directly with Nokia for MicroB.

How would they deal with them if Nokia isn't supporting it any more?

I think you fail to see that.
Alright then, how about Flash 10.1 for Firefox or Opera on my N900? Fine with me...

edit: typo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Alright then, how about Flash 10.1 for Firefox or Opera on my N900? Fine with me...

edit: typo
You ask me as if I'm Adobe. I just can get their side of this... want it on a non-computer, such as the N900; you ask the manufacturer of that non-computer. Whereas on your desktop or laptop computer... you just go download it.

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
You ask me as if I'm Adobe. I just can get their side of this... want it on a non-computer, such as the N900; you ask the manufacturer of that non-computer. Whereas on your desktop or laptop computer or android phone... you just go download it.
ftfy!

Two choices as I see it:

a) flash is tied to the platform (windows, macos, linux, android) and everyone can get it.. that is good

b) flash is tied to the vendor and platform. Other devices from other vendors may not have flash unless they deal with Adobe. Devices with flash won't receive updates unless the licensed vendor makes an effort... Ultimate fail

Adobe Air for Dell, Adobe Shockwave for Asus.. Adobe Flash for Nokia.... All these products sound crazy..

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
You ask me as if I'm Adobe. I just can get their side of this... want it on a non-computer, such as the N900; you ask the manufacturer of that non-computer. Whereas on your desktop or laptop computer... you just go download it.
Nokia says: Ask Adobe!

Adobe says: Ask Nokia!

It should simply work, together with a plugin for browser. Preferably you'd want something like a 'plugin container' to run the process jailed and independent from the browser like latest Chrome and latest Firefox do.

The only aspect is that some Flash versions might be optimized for specific ARM processors, and UI. Good software is programmed like that. It is recompiled and ported easily.

Optimized -> get a version which works on a similar platform (ie. OMAP3). Has anyone tried this? Isn't this how people got Flash on iPhone working?

UI -> sucks, live with it, boils down to either capacitive/finger or stylus/resistive. Not a big issue with Flash given you're using it from browser and it only has so many options (play, pause, stop).

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Unlike a real desktop computer, Flash on those deal with a desktop variant of the browser that works in a generic x86 environment that's dictated by those browsers.
Those browsers don't dictate the environment. The platforms the browsers run on do. Most browsers support a common plugin API, allowing plugin writers to write the code for interacting with the browser once, and compiling once for the platform.

They deal directly with Microsoft for ActiveX/Internet Explorer, Google for Google Chrome, Mozilla for Firefox. So in essence, they'd have to deal directly with Nokia for MicroB.
Does Adobe deal directly with Red Hat,, Canonical, Novell, Debian, Mandriva, Gentoo, Arch etc.? In some cases they might, but there are many users running Flash on platforms Adobe doesn't deal with directly.

MicroB is based on Mozilla, so it should have the NSPlugin API. Just a straight port of the Linux x86 codebase to arm should work, of course architecture-specific optimisations would need more work (but, apparently, Adobe doesn't do much optimisation except for Windows).

But, they have done this work already, so I don't see why you think Nokia can prevent them from compiling a new release with the free development environment Nokia provides for free, to anyone who wants to develop for Maemo/N900.

How would they deal with them if Nokia isn't supporting it any more?

I think you fail to see that.
Just like every other developer has developed/ported applications. They don't. I think you fail to see that there is no obstacle to Adobe providing Flash 10.1 to Maemo users via e.g. extras non-free or the Ovi store.

No support from the vendor, the flash player will not come out. That's why Flash doesn't support older, non-supported versions of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
But, they "support" almost every Linux distribution, due to the fact that they provide binaries for Linux to end users directly.

They still claim to support Firefox 2.0 on Windows 2000.

Nokia paid for Skype. Skype is free.
? Flash is just as free as Skype, neither of which are anywhere near as free as the Maemo platform.

There is nothing preventing Adobe from shipping Flash 10.1 for Maemo. However, all distribution of Adobe Flash is subject to their distribution terms. Even if Nokia has binaries of Flash 10.1 for arm, they may not necessarily be able to distribute them at the moment. Nokia most likely does not have any source code for Flash, if they do, there are most likely very strict licensing terms on the distribution of binaries based on that code.

Adobe's licensing terms are quite anal, even for re-distribution of binaries that individuals can download from their website.

You would have though, if they were trying to provide a rich platform across all internet-capable devices, and Nokia was preventing them from doing so on Ovi or extras, that they might provide generic armel linux binaries (like some other proprietary vendors do - no I haven't yet tried this on Maemo).

Nokia may be able to provide more motivation to Adobe to provide Flash 10.1, but they can't force them to do so, and I doubt that they can prevent them from doing so.

(This will be my only post in this thread, it largely seems to be a waste of time, but some of the misconceptions really needed to be addressed).

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I escalated this issue as far/high as possible through a friend who is the manager of a local Nokia Servicepoint. The answer we got from Nokia was that no final decision has been made yet regarding Flash 10.1 for N900 release or not....
I guess there is still hope, even if not much...

I am suprised people are still sulking over this. Do what I did.. forget about it and if you can't then install nitdroid and you are sorted with flash 10.1

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
oh come on with the support whining, have you ever had another brand of phone? Samsung left the awesome omnia hd to die. The 5800 is looking better now even with It's mediocre hardware. the same with The first galaxy. The milestone has 'flash ready' written on the box but no flash whatsoever till now. How many phones are there with froyo and flash 10.1 anyway. At least we have 9.4
________
Sensualladyx Live

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:41.

Tags
bada bada, delete adobe, delete everyone, delete me, delete nokia, delete us, delete you, give us bada, worstthreadever