Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
Nokia doesn't get a say in that. They could deny it access to the ovi store but there is nothing Nokia could do to prevent this from being downloadable from somewhere else.
If they do refuse it for the ovi store they run the risk of myriad (or someone else) making an alternate store (or the android market if it can work directly with that) taking money and control away from Nokia.

You dont now how the ownerchip looks like. If their are any deals or how the structure looks like. Im sure nokia have a say even if they dont have the final decition.

Infact I think its enough if nokia say: Ignore maemo, we dont support it anymore. just a very limited number of users. But look at this graph of meego users a year from now and think of the profit your app would generate.

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-02-08 at 19:14.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I wonder if Elop is now reconsidering his speech for Friday?
Seems like everything has changed now.
I think that from beginning this is what Elop's speech was about.

Add to this recent announcements about MS apps on Symbian and Nokia becomes hub for mobile activity maintaining control about every aspect of their portfolio.

In short to middle term this may hurt Qt but with potential big immediate financial gains with Ovi.

Now, it still needs perfect execution of two elements:

- *timely* release of kick-*** MeeGo device
- *working* Ovi

And past Nokia record is far from perfection in those two areas...

Edit: well, I was kinda stupid, weren't I?

Last edited by vvaz; 2011-02-13 at 15:35. Reason: typo/elopcalypse

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I wonder if Elop is now reconsidering his speech for Friday?
Seems like everything has changed now.
You mean he gets his information from tech blogs and forums like us?
That's so cute
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
If ANY Android application is possible with Alien Dalvik, the Dolphin HD browser will be possible too. So there might be a possibility for Flash 10.1

The Following User Says Thank You to tolgapaksoy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You dont now how the ownerchip looks like. If their are any deals or how the structure looks like. Im sure nokia have a say even if they dont have the final decition.

Infact I think its enough if nokia say: Ignore maemo, we dont support it anymore. just a very limited number of users. But look at this graph of meego users a year from now and think of the profit your app would generate.
Most likely anyway we need FOSS version of Dalvik, FOSS Dalvik.
It is doable.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
So, as others have pointed out, this doesn't appear to be a stand alone environment, à la Wine, but instead a wrapper applied to individual applications by the developer or the app store. The "by the app store" option is intriguing though, as it implies the translation layer doesn't require recompilation of the application, as winelib does.

Given that, I wonder how likely is it that the wrapper, once installed normally in conjunction with one Android application, could be copied out and applied to other, not yet Alien Dalvik-atized Android apps.

It would be interesting if Amazon took an interest in this for their own Android store. At a glance, it would appear to be a good fit for them.

It would be even more interesting if Ovi Store began accepting the submission of straight Android apps, applying this wrapper in exchange for a higher cut of the profits than for native Qt applications.

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
In short to middle term this may hurt Qt but with potential big immediate financial gains with Ovi.
Since Alien Dalvik is build top of Qt, I am not surprised to know soon it is coming also for Symbian and WP7.

ill just wait patiently to feb 15, to see if this thing is going to get releases and start praying for a leak

That's correct, and I didn't really take ownership into account. If Nokia owns (enough shares in) Myriad then they could block this. But then I'd expect them to have blocked even the announcement.

A little searching reveals Nokia hasn't dealt in Myriad shares directly for the last few years. Though they could have a controlling interest in one or more of the companies that did.

Nokia could say that, but I don't see why it would change anything. Myriad already have a working version on maemo (for demo purposes atleast), Selling/giving away that version shouldn't affect sales on meego. And withholding it increases the chance of a competing (commercial or open) solution beeing developed and taking over the market.

OTOH if "nokia meego" is to be locked down so that you couldn't install anything withoud nokias blessing then they could threaten to block myriads apps if they release this. But if that happens lots of the hardcore users/developers that Nokia needs would move to competing meego devices once they're released.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Since Alien Dalvik is build top of Qt, I am not surprised to know soon it is coming also for Symbian and WP7.
There is no Qt for WP7. Symbian is not really a that attractive target because of the limited hardware it usually runs on.

Tags
2014 no dalvik, android, dalvik, its christmas!, java vm, just shoot me, maemo, meegdroid, meego