Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
I can live with "Our Sausage"
Or we could combine the "ME" part of Meego.
I can see the advertising now.......

come and try out "Mesausage" you'll love it

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Commenting on the comment regarding Intel stuff - MeeGo API is pretty similar on X86 and ARM so getting your things compiled on ARM as well is fairly trivial with the help of OBS or the MeeGo SDK.

Also, you guys keep on forgetting that MeeGo is layered - ie, a hardware adaptation + MeeGo Core + stuff. So anything above MeeGo Core is portable to other devices. Which means any effort for one device helps the many.

You could even run MeeGo "DE" on one of the MeeGo Conference Ideapads for development purposes.
Thanks for the info. But Nokia doing this makes even less sense now since they are helping future competing devices based on MeeGo, both Intel and Arm.

It makes no sense, unless Nokia have some future plan with MeeGo. My guess (for the moment ) is that Nokia anticipates that an ecosystem is bound to start evolving around MeeGo no matter what, and Nokia wants to be a part of it.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Starting to think (and hoping) that the Microsoft thing is just a short term thing for Nokia.
Think short term profits while Meego is not ready for prime time.
AND all software related support is on Microsoft's hands not Nokia.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Thanks for the info. But Nokia doing this makes even less sense now since they are helping future competing devices based on MeeGo, both Intel and Arm.
I think you (and a lot of people) are assuming that Nokia is public about _all_ its strategy decisions, and that those decisions won't be affected by sales.
How would it have sounded if they had publicly stated at the Nokia+MS press conference that "We're trying to keep the people that made symbian and meego, so we can go (limp that is) back if WP7 fails"?
If they publicly say there is an escape plan then they will doom their WP7 without it ever getting a chance, not a smart business move.

We can only speculate if they have an actual plan B, because they will never admit it if they do, but I don't think Nokia has been the kind of company to put all its eggs in one basket.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

It makes no sense, unless Nokia have some future plan with MeeGo. My guess (for the moment ) is that Nokia anticipates that an ecosystem is bound to start evolving around MeeGo no matter what, and Nokia wants to be a part of it.
I suppose it is called "keeping your options open" at least Nokia will have a fall back plan should they fall out with M$, for once there seems some logic to this, and perhaps our N900's will be the phone to benefit over the next 12 months or so.

I can still see longterm the meego device being "a mobile computer" as stskeeps suggests, with the ability to make phone calls, and WP7 being Nokia's mobile phone OS

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Arendal, Norway
For me this all makes sense. Even Elop publicly stated that Meego will continue as some sort of future development platform, and that is exactly what is happening now - by allowing Meego to run on the N900 they will still keep the developers relatively happy, the community will not abandon the platform and they will not be so pressured to rush out a Meego device ASAP.

Of course the news that Meego has been set aside as the new primary smartphone-os in favour of WP7 had to come like it did - how do you think the market would react if they said that "We'll release some WP7 phones over the next 1-2 years and THEN we will bring out the big drums and Meego?"

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, this is somewhat good news. But I hope Jukka reads this:

1. I hope it is as fully useable as possible as an everyday device. At least Phone, 3G, WiFi, SMS, Web browser with flash [...]
Reading http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/DeveloperEdition March 5th, it says internet browsing will support WLAN:

Browser use over WLAN

* Able to connect to WLAN AP (with security etc.)
* Open a complex modern website (eg. gmail.com)
I understand this as a promise to only have browsing over WLAN.

Although STSKeeps has already said something along the lines of 3G support (why 3G if you would be only making calls with it?), but perhaps surfing over 3G isn't a priority?

Also, to the questions as to why this is happening now, Jukka Eklund says:
"Basically we want to have MeeGo running in N900 device, so that it’s really usable as your daily development device."
Making MeeGo DE for N900 makes sense: you want to have a developmental platform that you can take with you into the real life, where the end-user will also use them. This way you can make the testing phase deeper and more "realistic".

My dream of what will come of the DE:

A very flexible and feature-rich MeeGo for tech-enthusiasts, power users etc. is ready. The community begins to design entire UI overhauls and community adds missing features. Soon people will be running different "distributions" of DE like people run different "distributions" of Ubuntu (for eg. Linux Mint).

I'm really looking forward to what will come out of this.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Although STSKeeps has already said something along the lines of 3G support (why 3G if you would be only making calls with it?), but perhaps surfing over 3G isn't a priority?
Basic working use cases first, then it can be seen how easy it is move on to take advantage of what works in the hardware adaptations. Noone stops anyone from helping to make UI support for 3G data connections, is a open project.

For the rest of your post, thank you for "getting it"
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-03-05 at 13:40.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
so great news! I wonder if meego will be installable in the eMMC

Will this be able to install applications released for Meego?

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada