Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I have a spare charger if anybody needs one

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If you do not do a business properly, you will be rightfully perceived as an amateur.
Sigh, you are right.
General publics reaction to Nintendo not including charger with 3DS XL was really negative.

This is a chicken and egg problem now. They are somehow forced to cut back to save money to continue operation, for which it would actually be necessary to improve credebility and reputation with casual users who expect certain things from a "Package".

Even to the isolated fanboy in me (yes i can switch him on and off) it is another sign that the Hardware/Software split was necessary to at least raise the propability of a living Sailfish OS.

Anyhow, the impact from "not including charger"-Gate" on Jollas reputation will be tiny compared to that of the wrong decision to ever get into crowdfunding. People just do not comprehend the concept, ~50% of contributers think they are customers.

I am here for the Software, so my hope is on licensing and the brics deal.
The Tablet is a nice cherry on top.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Jolla just posted an update on their blog: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-...ant-news-helm/

Seems like all who are not in the first wave of shipments have to wait till at least november to get their tablets...

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
I wonder how does it work regarding the warranty terms: if e.g. I use one of those iffy cheap chinese USB chargers that provides a poorly regulated supply voltage and the tabletgets damaged, does warranty apply?
Without the legal umbrella of "you haven't used an officially approved/provided charger", how does it work?

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by seiichiro0185 View Post
Jolla just posted an update
"this is a deep, sincere apology combined with a Japanese style bow with my forehead touching the floor. "

As a professional sushi-chef since 2003, i can accept nothing less to prevent complete loss of face :P

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by att View Post
Quick English translation of HS's Jolla review (http://www.hs.fi/tekniikka/a1441337804855). I used Google for a raw translation and then improved it.

Testing Jolla Tablet: Jolla's first tablet stands out from the rest

Jolla's first tablet has an ingenious feature: the screen orientation can be locked so that it does not rotate when rotating the device.
Seriously? Rotation lock is being touted as the primary feature of the Jolla tablet? Why? It isn't like it is an even vaguely unique feature.

I might be p***ing into the wind here, but guys, PLEASE take the usb charger argument to a thread of its own. This one is supposed to be about timing and news of the tablet delivery.

Yes, we all know already that you are in that group I mentioned in my post.
Maybe. Still, it's only speculation and I find it hard to believe that in a world full of chargers delivered with just about every device sold in the planet, missing one with Jolla Tablet would be a deal breaker. Of course the "save the environment"-slogan is mostly marketing, but so what - at least it has some truth behind it (as there really is no shortage of chargers...) and environmentalism is one of the new secular religions in the world, so it probably will be well received at least by those. So, I really don't see it as dark, threatening and awful thing as you do even when taking off those imaginary fanboy-eyeglasses.

Now tell me, how many JulmaHerras does Jolla need to survive?
I think they need corporate partners adopting Sailfish OS more than JulmaHerras. That's where the money is. Like it ir not, money is the key to everything in this wretched world. It doesn't stand or fall with bundled or missing chargers.

Do people need a 36th pair of shoe laces? How stupid and annoying of Clarks to sell me shoes with another pair!
Oh yes, shoe laces and other thigs rapidly degrading in use are just the perfect comparison to chargers that have longer lifetime than most gadgets sold around....

I do not have an excess of USB chargers lying around. All my chargers are fully utilized. Have you stopped to think why you have an excess? Do they by any chance come from all the devices you no longer use? Does it mean the Jolla tablet is soon going to join the ranks?
Some day Jolla Tablet will definitely join the ranks as it will have certain lifetime like any device do. My devices are heavily used and they will be retired some day, I rarely use one phone longer than two years. At least I did when Nokia was still around. However, chargers seem to have annoying habit of outlasting their bundled devices, so there is excess of them.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by seiichiro0185 View Post
Jolla just posted an update on their blog: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-...ant-news-helm/

Seems like all who are not in the first wave of shipments have to wait till at least november to get their tablets...
Well, I'm happy to see a schedule. Could anyone explain how big the first wave is? For example in the indegogo campaign there were, for early sailors, three groups. The first 1000, the second 1000 and , I think, the next 2000. (Sorry if I don't have it quite right here). Are all the early sailors included in the first wave? Or how are the "waves" of shipments broken down by numbers?

Bull****! Selling an electronic device without a vital component like that is a sure path to a disaster. They can get away with that for a while becase they still have a bunch of fanboys supporting them no matter what but they cannot survive forever by appealing only to that dwindling group.
Explain to me why Japan has been working like that for years? Open your eyes: bundling chargers, especially standardised ones, is a cultural thing and it must change - this isn't only a Jolla thing.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund