Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by PurpleXS8 View Post
Dave, what was not to be understand. I want to run advanced applications like you would run on a laptop/pc not on a iOS or Android Tablet. I need it to run apps like Visual Studio 2012, Photoshop CS6, Sony Vegas PRO, Sony Sound Forge, Sony ACID and so on.
If that is your main req, you should not look for a small tablet. Get a powerful smart-book/ultrabook instead. Much more powerful, more power for the money. Better to work with.

You can run VS,PS on the Pro, but its pretty small Performance is OK.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-11 at 14:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
On 1.5GB RAM with Win8? Good luck with that...
Yes, and it's running fine with no problems on my current tablet. But as I said I need an upgrade. I am running all of my apps and still have absolutely no problem.

Win8 have a fantastic resource management system.

Here is the proof.

I even compared it to a friend with 6GB (4gb available because we need 32bit version) and it was absolutely no difference in the way the OS was running. The only problem is that I can't run games and he can, and trust me, I ain't no gamer.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If that is your main req, you should not look for a small tablet. Get a powerful smart-book/ultrabook instead. Much more powerful, more power for the money. Better to work with.

You can run VS,PS on the Pro, but its pretty small Performance is OK.
Dave, I also need a touchscreen. That is my main problem. Laptops don't have touchscreen, and if it does, it's very hard to operate since you can't flip the screen (I was interested in such models until I saw I can't operate them right).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

Dave, I also need a touchscreen. That is my main problem. Laptops don't have touchscreen, and if it does, it's very hard to operate since you can't flip the screen (I was interested in such models until I saw I can't operate them right).
there is laptops touchscreens, but if you want be able to go to tablet style you have to pay more. check at duo 11 or duo 13. they are really nice and powerful, but will cost you a bit more.

http://store.sony.com/

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-11 at 14:31.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Yes, and it's running fine with no problems on my current tablet. But as I said I need an upgrade. I am running all of my apps and still have absolutely no problem.

Win8 have a fantastic resource management system.

Here is the proof.

I even compared it to a friend with 6GB (4gb available because we need 32bit version) and it was absolutely no difference in the way the OS was running. The only problem is that I can't run games and he can, and trust me, I ain't no gamer.

I found this IBM workpad on the the net it's fast and stable.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...m_workpad_c500

there is laptops touchscreens, but you have to pay more. check at duo 11 or duo 13. the are really nice, but will cost you a bit more.

http://store.sony.com/
Yes, they are nice, slim but I will have to sell my kidneys to get one of those. What I saw was something similar, in a local store. A little more bulky and a little more cheap (around 600$). It came with Win8 preinstalled so it was pretty much what I needed.

How much was your Surface. Who is the actual producer of the hardware?

Yes, they are nice, slim but I will have to sell my kidneys to get one of those. What I saw was something similar, in a local store. A little more bulky and a little more cheap (around 600$). It came with Win8 preinstalled so it was pretty much what I needed.

How much was your Surface. Who is the actual producer of the hardware?
$600 sounds ok, just make sure it comes with windows Pro, not RT.

Don't know the price exactly, got it from my employer but I guess the price is around $800 is US. It's Microsoft that is the producer, but I don't know who they hired to do the actual job.

$600 sounds ok, just make sure it comes with windows Pro, not RT.

Don't know the price exactly, got it from my employer but I guess the price is around $800 is US. It's Microsoft that is the producer, but I don't know who they hired to do the actual job.
And there is no official information about this? I am really interested who is the actual producer behind this.

This is just like Beats by Dr. Dre. On all the hardware and headsets it's Beats logo, as the main producer Microsoft is featured, but the actual producer is Monster.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I don't think so, as Microsoft locked up the bootloaders on all their mobile devices. Previous MS Surface users just managed to break the registry on the tablets, they didn't quite find a way yet to install other OS than the Win8 on it.
AIUI the RT devices with an ARM SOC have a locked bootloader, the Pro tabs with the Intel CPUs are unlocked. The issues that can arise are due to poor hi-res tablet UIs (maybe Plasma Active be ideal) and the usual lack of drivers in exotic hardware[1], so do your research before you commit.

MS haven't done well at all with their Surfaces, and are offering various deals on them ATM, if the Pro versions come down further, they'll become very tempting indeed.

[1] http://www.geek.com/microsoft/how-to...e-pro-1539262/

Edit: Wiki has the Taiwanese former Asus subsidiary Pegatron as the mfr.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2013-08-11 at 22:21.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Double the battery life (increase weight, thickness, whatever) and I'd buy it.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Double the battery life (increase weight, thickness, whatever) and I'd buy it.
It's already pretty thick. The battery life is OK, when you think of what you can do. Other tables can't even do half of what this can.

Anyone else got you hands on one?

Tags
just_a_fad, success!, ubertablet, vaporware, who gives a sht