Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by djashjones View Post
well blow me down and rodger me silly. I am so bloody happy.

without free and penguinbait this would not be posible. Cheers Guys
Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be one happy camper right now.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Oops had forgotten libsamplerate Corrected. Now xmms-crossfade should show in application manager and fetch libsamplerate ( my local copy at the moment)

For language problem and menus not showing; it's explained in the thread, you HAVE to start xmms *from the menu* so that
LANG=C LC_MESSAGES=C is set.
I wonder if we get all these problems due to old libc6 and locale settings.. Files containing nonascii char are not even displayed. This is a big problem.

I confirm that xmms works well in other Windows Managers. In the default manager, the minimize doesn't work.

For crossfade, there is still the problem of the UI which is bigger than the n800 screen, we can't reach OK/cancel if we modify settings (a lot !) We'll have to the biggest panels into 2. glade file is available, have to look at it.
Gapless is really useful yes!

Last edited by free; 2008-01-16 at 10:36.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Is anybody able to get the equalizer to work? I've tried everything I can think of but no luck I've made sure EQ was turned On; I've made a change and then waited 30 secs but no change is heard.

Any ideas?

i've found it distorts the bass end somewhat.

Its better when its running in KDE.

It still takes a while to kick in.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
Is anybody able to get the equalizer to work? I've tried everything I can think of but no luck I've made sure EQ was turned On; I've made a change and then waited 30 secs but no change is heard.

Any ideas?
Eq works fine for me. Takes <5 seconds to take effect, and I'm not running KDE. Bottom band (60Hz?) seems to have no effect; I'm guessing my BT headset (HSP, not A2DP) doesn't reproduce any sound that low. But other bands have noticeable effect.

First thing to check, IMHO, is the pre-amp. Changing that will result in an audible difference, regardless of what you're listening to. Changing the eq bands depends on the frequency content of the audio, and the response of your ears, much more strongly. Both should have effect under same conditions (eq on, audio playing), it's just easier to tell with the preamp.

Re: your sig:
Depends on your dreams, I suppose. I've had dreams for which that would qualify as "really coming true"...

I takes a while because it acts on the pre-buffered part of the signal. It takes some time depending on cache settings until it reaches the real audio device.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Warsaw, Poland
Is there a chance for having AAC (and AAC+) support for radio streams, that are more and more popular? Built-in Media player plays them but only in low quality, but XMMS refuses to play them at all.

Originally Posted by jakubd View Post
Is there a chance for having AAC (and AAC+) support for radio streams, that are more and more popular? Built-in Media player plays them but only in low quality, but XMMS refuses to play them at all.
Support for AAC and FLAC added. Not sure if AAC+ is supported though..
Once again, no special build flags used.

I wonder if there's really improvement with special build flags for n800 (vfp and softfp). My first tests didn't really show improvements.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Warsaw, Poland
OK, it seems that for my station (and all raw AAC streams) XMMS is useless:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=222187
External MUXing is not really user friendly.
Anyway thanks for this fantastic piece of software with your quick user support - finally some easy to use piece of software based on well known interface, that will effectively work in the background.

Last edited by jakubd; 2008-01-16 at 20:48.

Code:
** WARNING **: Failed to open font: "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*".
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0

** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such file or directory
I get these errors when executing xmms. Is there something I can do about it?