Set up an account on jablet this evening but cannot seem to connect using psi, thought it was me so I created a different account still no go. Any settings I should know about for psi prior to trying to connect?

The Following User Says Thank You to madar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Something that I've noticed a lot of people having trouble with or just not knowing about is that you don't need to have Pidgin installed on your tablet to use AIM/MSN and other IM services. You can have all of that on your tablet by using the Jabber/Google Talk client.
.......No such problems happen on Jablet. All your AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc contacts are pulled down to your tablet without having to manually readd each of them.
OK, Thanks, But what about Privacy ? I would prefere not to have my discussions logged on a private server without privacy guarantees. Or am I just to suspicious ?

Abel.

Last edited by AbelMN; 2008-01-01 at 13:38.

I would not suggest installing RTCOMM unless you are an experienced user.
It's a beta, so that's always true - despite Web 2.0's insistance on everything being a live beta.

Yahoo does not appear to work as far as I can see (or it can be the same issue I have on Jablet with really old accounts made back when everything was case-sensitive).
File a bug, because Yahoo works for me, so you're likely right about the issue.

Originally Posted by jackass124 View Post
Hey Sethcohn can u please give a brief tutorial on getting MSN/Yahoo/AIM etc all going using RTCOMM??

Would be much appreciated!
Thanx!
See
http://rtcomm.garage.maemo.org/

Basically, you take the red pill, install a beta installer, run it, and it'll update things.
Once it's installed, you just add accounts via the standard Maemo Account setup, you just have more choices to choose from, including MSN/Yahoo/AIM/ICQ/IRC/etc

For SIP to work, you might need to do this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=15

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by SethCohn View Post
File a bug, because Yahoo works for me, so you're likely right about the issue.
The guys working on IM Gateway already know about it and are working on it.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by madar View Post
Set up an account on jablet this evening but cannot seem to connect using psi, thought it was me so I created a different account still no go. Any settings I should know about for psi prior to trying to connect?
Send me your settings via PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Abel, here is my response to someone else who had similar concerns earlier in the thread. Keep in mind that at the time, we had 130-something users. We are now at over 400, which makes it even more completely insane for any sort of debug logging to take place when the log file grows by something like 2MB per second. (Also, we are on Openfire 3.4.2 now, soon 3.4.3 and IM Gateway 1.2.1a.) Anyways, read on.

I'd say you take IM far too seriously if you actually worry about stuff like that, but I can understand your concern.

Secondly, if you don't think there's already a "man in the middle" when you're connected to AIM, MSN, and others "directly", you're just fooling yourself... unless your packets take only one hop to reach their servers. If you're that worried about something like a man in the middle attack on an IM session, well, you'd better turn off your PC.

I can't offer you much else here except for my word, which is most likely worthless to you, but I'll give it to you anyways.

Yes, your IM passwords are stored on the server so that the gateways can connect you to your IM services. No, they are not stored in plain-text, but as an encrypted hash in a private MySQL database. As the admin, I can change the password you told the IM gateway to use to connect to your service, but I cannot retrieve the original unencrypted password. We offer encrypted connections to the Jabber server.

As far as sniffing your traffic is concerned, the Jabber server offers (as most others do) various levels of logging. Warning, errors and general info (so and so connected) are logged by default by the Jabber server. Another level, debug, is also available, which shows (as far as I know) all traffic being sent in and out of the Jabber server in plain text.

Yes, this includes any and all messages that happen to be flying by (and is the only logging level to do so).

Because of the huge volume of data that's generated by debug logging, it is off by default and remains off unless I need to figure out why something isn't working, during which times I turn it on for small bursts while I test (such as the possible Yahoo message problem we might currently be having). With 138 users, around a third of which are active at any given time, it's pretty much the only way I can do any debugging on our side. (I'm not going to totally shutter the service while I do that.)

I assure you, I'm really not interested in what you ate for dinner, what your mom thinks was the reason the Raiders lost on Monday night or if you think Bush is an ******* and I'm certainly not interested enough to sit there reading debug logs all day to find out. (And if you're sending anything more sensitive than that over IM, you might as well not worry about me intercepting anything because it's clear that you just don't care about what you're sending anyways.)

(In the interest of being open with you, the Jabber server that Jablet runs on is Openfire 3.4.1 with IM Gateway 1.2.0. Take a look at the code if you're interested.)

But, of course, I'm just another nameless faceless internet user that you don't know swearing to never do anything bad with your data. I don't blame you if you feel you can't trust me and that's fine. I can't promise you that your traffic could never be sniffed once it leaves my servers either. All I can give you is the choice to use it or not.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask me at any time, either here or by e-mail and I'll be happy to answer.

(And just so that I'm not quite as nameless and faceless, that's my face used as my profile picture here, and let's sign this with my real name too.)

- Jason Carter
Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by madar View Post
I've got the same issue, mine was working perfect for ages, now has just stoped. Nothing has been changed, it doesn't even say can't connect to account, just... nothing...

its like the server is responding but just timing out.

cheers I do love how jablet has made IM that much easier for me.

-Rip

If you can send me a debug log or something, it would help a lot. I can't reproduce the problem on my end at all.

Hello Zerojay,

Happy to provide debug if I knew how, I have run psi from the command line and never get anything past typing psi and waiting while it spins as output. Doesn't appear to be a flag for verbose or debug, I'm guessing I would have to compile psi with debug options? Any advice is appreciated would love to get this running using the jablet server you guys set up rather than hunting down a different jabber server or running one at home. Thanks in advance, and happy new year!