Active Topics

Originally Posted by oliverredfox
When installing the older OS, have you tried it with the RS-MMC card removed?
yes -- no joy.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Mark S
i installed the beta and it seems really good. One dumb question. Am I correct that none of the old applications work n. I really liked the plug-in that showed memory usage. Can I still use that.
Check out the garage - there is a 2006 version of the load/memory applet there... and of course it's not compatible with the previous packages - have you not been paying attention ?

And I find it hard to believe that you can't reflash 2005 - though I haven't tried.

Brad.

PS I wish somebody would port xterm - I can't get past the missing libesd.a problem... I've got dropbear ssh ready and no way to test it

Last edited by bradb; 2006-06-10 at 03:01. Reason: to correct my 2006 thumb and ***** some more

Thanks for your reply, but what is the "garage" where that plug-in is located. I am not familiar with the "garage" sorry.

Originally Posted by bradb
Check out the garage - there is a 2006 version of the load/memory applet there... and of course it's not compatible with the previous packages - have you not been paying attention ?

And I find it hard to believe that you can't reflash 2005 - though I haven't tried.

Brad.

PS I wish somebody would port xterm - I can't get past the missing libesd.a problem... I've got dropbear ssh ready and no way to test it
You may find it hard to believe all you want, but if you figure out how, let us know. [I don't expect 'beta' to mean you can't put back the old version -- in fact, I would expect the exact opposite.]

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
sorry, I figured any 770 user would go to maemo. check out the projects under the garage.

Brad.

PS sorry to appear harsh, but I'm posting from my 770 at the local dive bar

Last edited by bradb; 2006-06-10 at 03:33.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In all honesty, it's a beta that's intended for developers. We installed it, we were warned, and I guess we just have to swallow it.

I don't want to go back yet. I'll miss Sodoku and Maemodrac but jeeze... Mistral is so much more fluid. The mic is great, it works if the 770 is sitting on the table like a speaker phone and also works very well if you turn the volume down and hold the 770 like a cell phone.

Opera seems a lot more responsive and the package management is dreamy.

It's a fine piece of work! I can't wait to see it mature.

*edit: ONE complaint. I want the red theme back!

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
In all honesty, it's a beta that's intended for developers. We installed it, we were warned, and I guess we just have to swallow it.
Given how the 770 is sort-of open source, Nokia is probably using the user base to beta test--no harm in that. In fact, it is a good idea given the explosion in activity on this board since the release. I imagine there was a good amount of silent testing before they opened it on Maemo. So, it isn't really for developers, they knew the rest would find it.

Two observations:

1) The 770 hardware is surprisingly resilient and recoverable--just something of a PITA to rebuild, and

2) Thank goodness the mic issue has been put to bed. I wonder how many people poked paper clips in there thinking it was a hardware reset button.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore

I don't want to go back yet. I'll miss Sodoku and Maemodrac but jeeze... Mistral is so much more fluid. The mic is great, it works if the 770 is sitting on the table like a speaker phone and also works very well if you turn the volume down and hold the 770 like a cell phone.

Opera seems a lot more responsive and the package management is dreamy.

It's a fine piece of work! I can't wait to see it mature.

*edit: ONE complaint. I want the red theme back!

I'm sorry, but where was I warned that I couldn't flash back to an older version? To the contrary, that has always been the strength of this hardware -- that regardless of how bad you screwed it up, worse come to worse, you could just flash back -- the same way the repair center 'fixes' them.

A report and a question .

I installed the beta with the Linux flasher. No problems.

I am using the thumboard to type this. Very cool - works great especially if I tilt the 770 down a bit, and use the tops of my fingernails.

I did notice it purposely does not work with password fields. I can see at least 2
reasons for this, but you will have to pick up the stylus to enter passwords.

The password wallet is great. Finally I can use the 770 as a full web machine.

As others mentioned the PDF reader improvement is fantastic.

All movies I tried worked, but the longest I tried was a 1/2 hour cartoon.

No crashes in about 2 hours of trying misc things.

Now my question:

Where will the "Official" repository be? i.e. The Maemo.org repository? I am sure ported apps will now start appearing, and it would be nice to be able to just refresh the list periodically.

Thanks to all the Nokia and non-Nokiadevelopers! I have seen enough to be sure it is going to be a great release!

Mobile Linux? Got That.
Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2X, Motorola A780

Please visit http://linuxslate.com/ New! Discussion boards just started.

Originally Posted by dustinl4m3
mine shows 8.02 Internal build 1.1.40 but I wasn't smart enough to write down what it said before I flashed the beta.
2005 OS's Opera was still 8.02, but Build 1.0.88, so Build 1.1.40 sounds like an upgrade.

Last edited by gnuite; 2006-06-10 at 05:15.