Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
i figure faster cpu + 2 memory slots would eat up a lot of power. besides, shouldn't the battery be beefed up by now anyway?

has anyone been able to make the thinkoutside stowaway bluetooth keyboard work with the N800 OS2007? I can't....

Oh, and as I can readily confirm that gnumeric, mplayer, doom (with cool wads), and abiword all install (mplayer wouldn't play the onboard demo video correctly though), and that I would need to uninstall debconf to make maemomapper work, I think it is safe to say that 2006 N770 users will still be a part of the software base of 2007 N800 programming.

And who cares about stupid VGA functionality, anyways??

dcarter

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by phi View Post
i figure faster cpu + 2 memory slots would eat up a lot of power. besides, shouldn't the battery be beefed up by now anyway?
How big and heavy a battery do you want?

I think increased emphasis on power efficiency would make more sense.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
The nokiausa site has the n800 up for ordering:

http://www.nokiausa.com/N800

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
You know what I'd actually be willing to Ship these things if it meant that the Euro/UK people saved a grip of money, because I think that's BS that they would get charged more.

Hi,

gives any new Versions from Opera (Browser) and Adobe (Flash) for the N800 ?

Thanks for your information

Fidibus

Not sure if this is old news but seems like Skype is coming for N800 also.

Edit:

I removed a link because I'm not sure if it's only available for press.

Jaykie

Last edited by Jaykie; 2007-01-08 at 08:16.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Jaykie View Post
Not sure if this is old news but seems like Skype is coming for N800 also.
This is, in fact, bad news. The Maeomo platform should be about free solutions and Nokia should have put more effort in SIP-enabling the 770 in the first place. Skype is non-free software and shouldn't be part of a standard software set for any Maemo-based device.

In stock now...

Just ordered from Nokia store:
http://direct.nokia.com/Product.aspx?model=N800

Have fun!
Batnun

ARRRRGH!!

I saw the leaked FCC docs but it sounded like the N800 would only be released sometime in 2007, so I bought a 770, barely three weeks ago, thinking that I'd value having the device for the next half a year more than I would value having the latest and greatest, but only in half a year. Plus they started on a marketing drive with ads for the 770! I should have known it for what it was: them trying to clear out their existing stock before launching the new toy. It simply reeks of the ugliest behavior. Not illegal, just unethical.

This is so maddening. They couldn't let customers know that they were just about to obsolete the "new" hardware they were buying? That the new OS would not be backwards compatible? That the kinds of applications I really miss on the 770 (skype) would not be made available for the 770? I feel like I bought an expensive tool that nobody will be developing for anymore because the new OS is not backwards / API compatible, and (let's face it) -- nobody develops new toys for the old target.

Of course, no mention of trade-up program in sight. I hate it when corporatios pull stunts like this -- I know there are a lot of people for whom $350 is no big deal, but when I plunk that kind of cash down I want to know that I'm getting something with some future development lifetime in it, and not something that is 2 seconds away from obsoletion. I am not about to spend another $400.

Just to be clear, it's not that I think the 770 is useless. I love it, with some quirks. I just hate discovering that my machine is EOL two minutes after buying it. I feel like nokia just defecated on me. Even microsoft has trade-up programs when they are about to release new versions of software, where they give you a coupon to get Vista or whatever is the next thing to come out (yeah, I know that it's software vs. hardware, but it's just an example).

Sign. /endrant.

-I

Last edited by idangazit; 2007-01-08 at 08:24.