Active Topics

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
There is, several issues exist in several places and it's too hard to get to work and fix them.

I saw several suggestions, and some have more meat on their bones than others. Leaking, e.g., sits badly with me as I should have a high memory usage, and I don't. With swappiness set to 0 I never hit 80% usage with RAM unless I really try. Leaking means high memory usage. Not rocket science.

This far, my best bet is fragmentation. It is already a known issue with audio subsystem, that's why it's way, way better after a reboot. As a result, to get it to actually handle a call I have to reboot daily. If it hist 48 hours uptime, I'm boned. Ringing stutters, phone stutters, I miss words, notifications stutter, even clicks on desktop stutter. It's so bad games with sound are unplayable.

-- (warning, rant)

But, as the man said in the bug, many a issue, and it's too hard so it's BITEME er.. I mean WONTFIX. Another one to get my blood boiling because as we all know, high blood pressure is good for the circulatory system.

I have just barely calmed down and recovered a bit after that thing about screen unlocking where "UI design" decides that me and my rejected calls can go to hell, fixing the call UI is like adding bunny ears to the Mona Lisa. It's a work of art and "fixing" is blasphemy. Also, it's closed, because, you know, we don't want anyone having a custom ring screen.

Just adding to my pile. It's growing. I've had bugs before, limitations, problems. But for all its hardware and versatility, this is the worst device I've ever had. I have to work around issues every day with no end in sight.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
With swappiness set to 0 I never hit 80% usage with RAM unless I really try.
hey buddy.. how do i set swappiness to 0 and what does it do?

Plenty of hits on Google. And I do recommend you read on it, it affects swapping policy and changes the aggressiveness of swap. Device behaves differently and possibly unexpectedly.

First hit on G on swappiness. Also, if you do this, I don't know you, you did it yourself

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I do not know if it will in your case, I solved it by installing "Modified Hildon-Desktop".

http://wiki.maemo.org/Modified_Hildon_Desktop

After installing the desktop flies.

Plenty of hits on Google. And I do recommend you read on it, it affects swapping policy and changes the aggressiveness of swap. Device behaves differently and possibly unexpectedly.

First hit on G on swappiness. Also, if you do this, I don't know you, you did it yourself
i think im gonna give this a go. lets hope it helps. i think i understood the concept of swappiness. thx a lot. ill report if anything interesting turns up

It does, it has alleviated my sound choppiness issue. Introduced longer swap times on exit and enter apps. They are all tradeoffs. With the new pulseaudio patch it's better, but then there's the silent phone syndrome (there's a thread about it).

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Modify the swap also helps

sudo gainroot

echo 30> / proc / sys / vm / swappiness

Originally Posted by lifenexus View Post
i think im gonna give this a go. lets hope it helps. i think i understood the concept of swappiness. thx a lot. ill report if anything interesting turns up
Oh, I just read back the post and realized that I posted saying that I never hit the limit with 0 swappiness. Indeed, however, 0 is just a test. I recommend you don't go that far, I currently run on 10. Tune as you see fit, some people do 50, some 80.

Though it shouldn't break, zero means holding out as much as possible and I have no idea if that's a good thing, you might end up swapping heavily just to load a big game or app, which would be detrimental to experience as well.

Just putting it out there.

Oh, I just read back the post and realized that I posted saying that I never hit the limit with 0 swappiness. Indeed, however, 0 is just a test. I recommend you don't go that far, I currently run on 10. Tune as you see fit, some people do 50, some 80.
I am a new n900 owner less than one week. I ditched my iphone because of dropped calls. I am suffering from a very slow, unresponsive device almost identical to the original post.

Help?
I do have a few widgets on the desktop - FB, weather, gmail.
I will ditch them and see but what can i do?
What is swapiness and how do I fix this slow, machine - phone rings and screen freezes and misses calls; tap to exit and enter app and nope. Won't go. I would pay for a fix.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by grutch View Post
I would pay for a fix.
I'm interested in your proposition. Let me help you. -_^

First of all, It's very unusual for a brand new device to behave slow and unresponsive as such. Is this a brand new device or second hand one?

Second, I'm sure you have enabled extra-devel as you said in other post you tried mobilehotspot, which required you to install the kernel power (overclock kernel). Please confirm.

Third, I'd like to check your firmware version. Please go to setting-->about your product, tell me the firmware version.

Tags
you're a mess