Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Has anyone got an USB DVB-T TV receiver to receive signal via OTG?

the devs are gone, plz close this thread

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
the devs are gone, plz close this thread
The Doctor is...
here

see sarahn's post on usb-control 2 threads "ahead", it's been ported to N900 from diablo/N8x0, and it does just nothing for hostmode on N900.

DVBT-sticks *could* work if you find a driver to support same stick on your laptop, and manage to compile that driver for maemo. But probably workload for CPU is really high and you wouldn't want to use that for longer periods (except on hostmode_charging), also hw-GFX-accel probably would be nice, maybe using N900's H264 decoder

To keep you all informed: We moved to a decent project structure from that other closed thread. That does NOT mean we abandoned the USB hostmode project .
ATM some of us are importing very new patches for USB origin Nokia, that showed up upstream and haven't made it into our standard kernel yet, and we do a major rework to Sarahn's/MohammadAG's R&D-kernel, to implement a *clean* reliable hostmode.

jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I understood that n900 can read a usb stick powered from pc or a transformer, that method is reliable and 100% working? If so, can someone lead me to instructions for achiving it please, i am really interested on that.........until the real host mode arrives!!!!!!

Thanks.

Originally Posted by BLIZZARD View Post
I understood that n900 can read a usb stick powered from pc or a transformer, that method is reliable and 100% working? If so, can someone lead me to instructions for achiving it please, i am really interested on that.........until the real host mode arrives!!!!!!

Thanks.
Does anyone else ever get the feeling that they feel their mouth moving - but the other person just doesnt seem to understand the words.

ALL USB HOST MODE WORK IS INCREDIBLY ALPHA AND NOT STABLE

This kind of repetition of inane questions etc is why the devs had to move to another forum for their work
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Does anyone else ever get the feeling that they feel their mouth moving - but the other person just doesnt seem to understand the words.

ALL USB HOST MODE WORK IS INCREDIBLY ALPHA AND NOT STABLE

This kind of repetition of inane questions etc is why the devs had to move to another forum for their work
Sorry, it seems that i got the wrong idea, but i was following the thread "n900 will not allow usb otg" for a month till now (not understanding much though, i was reading also some info from wikipedia so i could follow that thread).....sorry again

Originally Posted by pyykkhe View Post
Has anyone got an USB DVB-T TV receiver to receive signal via OTG?
This has been done (with a DVB-H signal) on N8x0 -- should be reasonably straightforward to reproduce on N900 once host mode is available. I strongly doubt the N900 can handle a full DVB-T stream, but DVB-H should be no problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Well, we were "aiming" for a release a week or two ago, but then titan tried to reproduce it and failed, this could be due to timing issues or my device "has a positive defect"

Either way, this isn't really practical, when I, as a normal user, press the host mode button I expect to be able to plug the flash when _I_ want, not when the device feels like it, which is why this is "unstable".

As joerg_rw said, we have not abandoned the project.

A few FAQs

Will all USB devices work?
Yes, however you'll need the correct driver for them.

Do I need external power for this?
For a flash drive, no, the N900's 5V@200mA should suffice, however for Wifi adapters, HDDs, optical drives, you need external power (either a Y cable using power from another PC - which defeats the prupose, or a powered hub)

I'm so excited about this, can we have instructions on how to do this?
Premade binaries will NOT be provided until we reach a stable state, the only public releases are on the garage page, and they're useless without a kernel.

Are there any filesystem limitations?
No, there shouldn't be.

Can I write to DVDs/CDs?
Yes, when the correct drivers are ported, which should be the trivial part after host mode is working.

Will it blend?
Yes, a hub + USB blender should be enough

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
sorry guys thats not what I meant - i thought you guys had moved all discussion to the garage cause many of you were fedup with the OT discussion in the threads here on TMO, which is fair enough. I thought the thread should be closed and readers redirected to the new place.

But it seems you guys are still reading and posting here, which is good

Dont let ppl rush you, cause what you are doing is great.

BTW from a n00b for linux, regarding drivers will they have to be written from scratch for each different device ? Or is there a good chance that there are generic drivers for really common things like USB mem sticks ?

Wondering what impact the "you need a driver" will have on the practical feasibility of this project.

Last edited by Frappacino; 2010-06-11 at 05:54.

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
In general, if a USB device works on your Linux PC, it is very likely that the same driver will also work on your N900.
However, the N900 maybe too slow for some tasks, e.g. DVB-T or high-speed DVD burning.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
BTW from a n00b for linux, regarding drivers will they have to be written from scratch for each different device ? Or is there a good chance that there are generic drivers for really common things like USB mem sticks ?
Wondering what impact the "you need a driver" will have on the practical feasibility of this project.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post: