I admit I do not know anything abiout marketing...but...is it just me, or maybe -just maaaybe- if Nokia decided to invest a little bit more on advertising in NorthAmerica they would have a bigger presence here? Living in Canada, I can say I have never seen a Nokia commercial or poster ad...no wonder everybody here is crazy about iPhone and Android, that's all you see and hear about.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Anyone who has worked in business in a large corporation at a high level will tell you common sense is the LAST thing that determines how decisions are made
This is really sad yet true...our world is outside down unfortunately

The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
Had a tab open on thursday with the Nokia stock quote in realtime. Before this conference call the stock was falling at under 7.30€. Literally in minutes it climbed to over 7.90€, mainly because Elop used the words "or join..." I guess.

Elop knows well how to play an accord to drive some excitement, but I don't think this is the overture for wp7 or android on nokia devices.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by mbo View Post
Had a tab open on thursday with the Nokia stock quote in realtime. Before this conference call the stock was falling at under 7.30€. Literally in minutes it climbed to over 7.90€, mainly because Elop used the words "or join..." I guess.

Elop knows well how to play an accord to drive some excitement, but I don't think this is the overture for wp7 or android on nokia devices.
I hope the excitement doesn't come just from his speeches, I hope the products/support/services will be just as exciting if not more!

Originally Posted by mbo View Post

I feel it will now have to deliver on his promises on the 11th or the share price will just drop back.

I am now wndering if he's going to announce a bigger tie up with Intel, rather than the WP7/Android OS, to share "ecosystems" etc with them. Perhaps we are going to get the rumoured Intel chip on the N9 and other Meego devices plus an Intel Apps store in the states rather than the Ovi store?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
from BGR

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/26/exclus...-android-apps/

The company (RIM) has publicly stated that it is looking at getting a Java virtual machine running on the PlayBook — not so much for app development going forward, but for legacy support, custom apps corporations have deployed and don’t want to recreate, etc — but RIM hasn’t yet decided what kind of Java VM it will use.

Here is the big news: we have been told RIM is very much considering the Dalvik virtual machine, and we ultimately expect the company to chose Dalvik. If that sounds familiar to you, it’s because it’s the same VM that the Android OS uses, and it would allow RIM’s PlayBook and other QNX devices to run just about any application built for the Android platform.
If this rumor is true and RIM goes through to implement that and IF this can be done without any special licensing terms with Google, then Nokia has got to let this happen on MeeGo too.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

nothing about attacking but rather i was pointing at all the speculation in this thread and arguments that say Meego will not be touched or WinMobile will be adopted because its common sense etc which is a BS argument by armchair analysts.

unless you have inside info and have someone working near Elop, all this speculation is moot.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
unless you have inside info and have someone working near Elop, all this speculation is moot.
I think it's a given that all speculation tends to be moot anyway. But it's a fun, but produce nothing type of activity.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
They were PCs that had Windows on them. Hardware wise they were pretty standard but had horrible interfaces (because Windows XP is a bad tablet UI.)
Their batteries only lasted 2-3 hours -- hardware limitation.
They were very expensive ($1000+) -- due to the cost of getting standard hardware in smaller format.
Capacitive touchscreens of that size were either non-existent or prohibitively expensive -- yet another hardware limitation.

That's what Nokia said, then Apple put an excellent UI on an ARM6 processor and stole the market.
Nokia never even attempted to use the hardware advances that would have given the 770, N800 and N810 a worthy successor. The had the better software (Maemo), but never delivered the HARDWARE.

No, but so long as you don't overplay the hardware you'll probably be fine. Hardware defines your limits. Software defines everything else.
Hardware does define your limits. Within those limits, many of the "failed tablets" you speak of were doing quite well. Look around, how many people are using N800 -- imagine that with modern hardware, and all the software that would have been developed to take advantage of it. Would you say video at 400x240 is a software limitation? Please...

When the HARDWARE limits were lifted by mere technological progress in the past few years, software started to play a more important role. More important, yet still SECONDARY role.

Let me finally put it another way, in the hope that I can get at least a little understanding here: All the developers thinking that I am downplaying their work, see it like that instead: you have done an excellent job with software, but never had the proper hardware to run it on.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Tablets became a mass product when the hardware advancement allowed for it.
OK, what is the reason for the epic failure of zune vs ipod? Is it because current hardware is not good enough for zune requirements?

Many "failed" tablets were simply ahead of their time, trying to accomplish things that the hardware wasn't capable of pulling off.
Quite right, they failed because trying to shoehorn a massive piece of bloat like Windows onto a supposedly portable device is bound to end in tears.

Moore's law in action, the question is when you decide to ride the wave -- pick the right moment, and you'll surf like a champion. A year too soon, a year too late, and you'll fall.
In your opinion is the time right for a Windows-based tablet to "surf"? Or will the hardware need another couple of years or four to catch up to Windows' bloated requirements?

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org