Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm not picking on you, but aren't Elop an american and he's assuming duty as a CEO in a US listed company? How could Finnish and EU laws apply to him? Enlighten me please.
Microsoft and Nokia are both international companies with offices all over the world. And as had been mentioned, Elop is Canadian, not that it would change anything.

As I said, I really thought everything were sorted out by now, but by the looks of it, it hasn't. Maybe some US laws are kicking in as well, even Canadian. We have Finland, EU, USA, Canada, Nokia and Microsoft with all their regulations and laws, I am sure some lawyers are busy earning lots of money sorting this one out.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

Balmer:
"YOU WANT MICROSOFT BOB!
BUY A ZUNE! THEY'RE BETTER THAN iPOD!
YOU NEED WINDOWS PHONE 7!
COME ON! IT'S MADE BY NOKIA!
"

"No? Not working?"
"DAMMIT!"
[begins throwing chairs like Donkey Kong throws barrels]
"WHY WON'T THEY ROLL?? ARRRRGH!"
Mario successfully avoids Windoze Phone 7:

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Hmm, I see my pension fund got some largish interest in there as well, so keep on going MS

But:
http://www.businessinsider.com/nokia...s-nokia-2011-2

That is common knowledge. However, Finnish and EU law does not allow him to simply swap shares when he is/was so deep involved in both companies, there are legalities involved, and it take some time. (To be honest I thought it was done by now).
I'm a bit surprised that the rest of the executives at Nokia even hired him on (or at least surprised they even let him talk about using Microsoft) given he still owns so much stock in what is/was a competitor.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
And you sir Dan Ramos the zealot, if you have lived in the Dark Ages, you would have felt right at home with your pessimistic religious doomsday view on everything you disagree slightly with.
So, asking for proof/evidence as a way to solidly confirm or to plausibly deny something stated as a fact, whether I want to agree with it or not, is now zealot behavior? I laughed. Hard.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I think WP7 strategy failing is plan A.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's a plan which has already proven itself a failure thus far. This is like watching someone drive full-speed off a cliff and fall to their death, while still shouting at onlookers with the absolute confidence that the road doesn't end at the cliff. No amount of confidence will make that reality happen on a whim where no bridge was ever even so much as planned much less funded and built.

If you want to argue that WP7 is that bridge, it's clearly a bridge that very few trust--judging from the outcome of sales--but Elop is perfectly willing to take that massive Nokia big-rig across, even through the bridge is shaking and creaking something ugly and scary.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Great. Here comes another stock drop...
I told you! The more this guy opens his mouth, the more he confirms my feeling that he might in fact be clinically stupid.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Mario successfully avoids Windoze Phone 7:

I'm genuinely surprised somebody didn't do this with chairs instead of WP7 phones. Nice find, btw!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Yeah yeah, "patience." How long will that take?
I didn't realize your last name was Gruberman.

At least I hope you were referencing that skit...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Elop has nothing to do with NOKIAs trainwreck. Even Symbian E series were not performing as well as Blackberrys in the US. I loved E71, but boy did the software give me trouble syncing to my work server. They have always had issue with a software bugs that required to power something better than a penny phone. When the real companies got involved because of money, NOKIA weaknesses were exposed.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I didn't realize your last name was Gruberman.

At least I hope you were referencing that skit...
I'm glad somebody got the reference.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Elop has nothing to do with NOKIAs trainwreck. Even Symbian E series were not performing as well as Blackberrys in the US. I loved E71, but boy did the software give me trouble syncing to my work server. They have always had issue with a software bugs that required to power something better than a penny phone. When the real companies got involved because of money, NOKIA weaknesses were exposed.
...and then they paired with Microsoft. It can ONLY GET WORSE with MS and Eflop, is the point people are making, I think.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Nokia's key issue was it could no longer effectively develop software in-house, be it Symbian or maemo/meego. the lead times were becoming far too long and the end product was not polished enough.

what Elop has done is to out-source the software development for future (smart)phones to Microsoft. Whether that was the correct outfit and platform to trust will be made clear in time.

It could be argued that this process started before Elop when Nokia canned maemo and got into bed with Intel and the linux foundation to move forward with meego. although nokia was contributing still, the strategic direction etc was no longer nokias key concern, and they could get on with building phones. Maemo was probably 80% complete of a modern smartphone OS, but at a board level Nokia probably realised that they could never complete that last 20%, and so pushed most development and governance to someone else.

Nokia's decision to pull back from the meego frontline could be therefore good for meego development as it will not have to the nokia corporate anchor holding it back, so development should hopefully speed up.

For nokia, putting meego on a phone should be no more of an issue or risk than chucking WP* on it. Both OSes are bought in from external sources and if meego is up to the job then great.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Plan "B" is to make sure plan "A" works....
Gold.
We have a saying where I come from.
"Plan A goes out the window at H hour"
Elop killed off plan B by shelving the push to Meego and has given up the fallback plan by cutting symbian's throat and leaving it face down in a pool of blood.
Give him 10 points for commitment.

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2011-06-13 at 22:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, erics the idiot, goodbye nokia, nok+ms rox more, nokia's dead, oh so dead, so dead