Active Topics

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
what lack of apps? I have everything I need on my n9. What I hope with jolla is nextgen n9 with Qt5 etc...
The Maemo.org coding competition 2012 closed for new submissions at midnight.

91 new or significantly updated applications were submitted.

Most of them are for Harmattan, some for Fremantle or both.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't say that personally. Lack of video Skype is a problem to start my list of what's lacking.
I hope Jolla will get involved in VoIP and video conferencing, resurrecting the XMPP/Jingle UI effort which Peregrine was busy with. I'm personally not interested in Skype. Framework is all there (Telepathy and Farstream). Except that Mer still doesn't bundle the VP8 and Opus codecs. No point in feeding MS interests, when Jolla can work on open source "ecosystem".

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-10 at 18:46.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I hope Jolla will get involved in VoIP and video conferencing, resurrecting the XMPP/Jingle UI effort which Peregrine was busy with.
My problem is that Peregrine were the ones that discontinued that and didn't have the decency to announce it clearly to the community. There was a lot of back and forth about that; it just boils down to that it was an endeavor that will never bear fruit.

I'm personally not interested in Skype. Framework is all there (Telepathy and Farstream). Except that Mer still doesn't bundle the VP8 and Opus codecs. No point in feeding MS interests, when Jolla can work on open source "ecosystem".
I'd rather have Google+ hangouts. Another missing item on the N9. Works great on my Nexus 7 and my iPad. Not my N9.

Yeah, they just silently halted the development without any announcements. That's why I say may be Jolla will pick that up (or better to reimplement the UI anew, since I don't really like Peregrine one), since Jolla can be more committed.

I think hangouts isn't strictly XMPP with MUC. They use some server side multiplexing for media streams, so it's Google specific and non standard.

Client wise let's first see some working generic XMPP/Jingle application with a single user conferencing. Multi user video/audio is a more complex thing to tackle. And it's a questionable experience on a handset. It's more for desktops (or at least tablets) I think.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-10 at 19:27.

Is it possible to know something more about the hardware of next device?

Not until they'll announce it (some time this year).

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Yeah, they just silently halted the development without any announcements. That's why I say may be Jolla will pick that up (or better to reimplement the UI anew, since I don't really like Peregrine one), since Jolla can be more committed.

I think hangouts isn't strictly XMPP with MUC. They use some server side multiplexing for media streams, so it's Google specific and non standard.

Client wise let's first see some working generic XMPP/Jingle application with a single user conferencing. Multi user video/audio is a more complex thing to tackle. And it's a questionable experience on a handset. It's more for desktops (or at least tablets) I think.
Whatsapp is a nice example that muc can work on mobile :P

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yeah, they just silently halted the development without any announcements. That's why I say may be Jolla will pick that up (or better to reimpleme.
Maybe basyskom, peregrine devs, already has cooperated with jolla for longtime to implement it in theyr upcoming mobile

Basyskom is one of the main contributors of qt too if I remember correct...

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Whatsapp is a nice example that muc can work on mobile :P
MUC/Muji can work for media as far as your bandwidth allows. Which is of course good to have. See (http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Muji). Now just keep in mind how client multiplexing will work. Google figured out that server multiplexing works better for weaker channels, but it's not any standard and not part of XMPP.

And by the way, in general Whatsapp is not a nice example, because it's not a generic XMPP server/client and their servers aren't federated, so it proliferates walled IM networks, instead of expanding XMPP. And the Qt client efforts are wasted on it, because instead of creating an open source XMPP/Jingle client, developers are busy with Whatsapp. (Unless they plan to make a generic one, with Whatsapp being one of the options).

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Maybe basyskom, peregrine devs, already has cooperated with jolla for longtime to implement it in theyr upcoming mobile

Basyskom is one of the main contributors of qt too if I remember correct...
Let's hope, but their communication of their efforts is way too poor. And judging from the Peregrine commits - it's not developed for a while already.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-10 at 21:32.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You can always watch iphone 5 show while waiting for Jolla to wake up.

Waiting and patience are not two of my strongest characteristics.

But jolla seems to be good at that

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla