Notices

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I have a question or two, if I may. I sort of pseudo-bricked my N900 (thread here). The conclusion is that I need to nuke'n'pave, starting from ground zero.

If I have to do that, I'm fine with it, but first, I damned sure want backupmenu on the device. I read the first couple of pages in this thread (circa 2010) and the last couple (132 pages is kind of daunting when I need to get my N900 back in service as soon as possible...Hence the possibly stupid questions. As I said in the other thread, I have not flashed my device in, nigh, 3 years (since PR1.3), and various apps and modifications have come into fashion (e.g. CSSU, BackupMenu) while others seem to have fallen from grace (like the speedpatch, the battery patch, etc).

I admit, I haven't payed as close attention to these here forums as I would have liked, so I don't know what the proper procedure and set of patches/apps to get the best performance out of the N900. So I have but a few questions. You see, I see things like in an earlier post in this thread referring to 2011.38-1Tmaemo7.2+thumb1, and have absolutely no clue wihat it is...And if I have to track down every thread on every app/tweak to figure out my own best practices, it could be who-knows-how-long before I get this thing back in service.

First, robbiethe1st has, on his site, a Flashable rootfs image, flashable_rootfs_v0.56-1-20101109.img. I was wondering if I could possibly use that to recover my N900 without nuking the entire device. I doubt this is a good idea, but was hoping that it might be a fix for the Stale NFS file handle errors I am getting from /home/opt. I'm doubting this will work, but I figured I would ask.

In a broader sense, what are the recommended patches and apps to get the most performance out of the device? I'm currently running
  • the latest CSSU
  • swappolube
  • overclocked to 900MHz (via a zimage)
  • speedpatch (an early pre-deb one)
  • battery patch (I think)

Third, I'm really rusty here. flash to PR1.3 (assuming the flashable_rootfs is not an option.), then what order should patches be applied?

I apologize for threadjacking this thread, I am in a hurry to get this thing back in service, and trying to get information as quickly as possible about BackupMenu specifically, but also to blow the rust off of patch procedures.

Thanks all,
--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2013-06-17 at 22:51.

thumb is ref. here as CSSU thumb (search for a thread about it on this forum, everything you need to know about it is in first post, there) - CSSU-T + more compiled as thumb binary (executables less in size, using less RAM during running).

You also should install kernel-power, busybox-power, and mentioned backupmenu. You may be interested in 720p video recording modifications. Steer away from speedpatches/batterypatches.

Googling or using local search for keywords I gave you, should grant expected results in first page. Good luck!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@VulcanRidr: extras-devel

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
hi Estel, i am having a problem, i get the error in multiboot:
UDev started
Error with: cp /lib/libacl.so.1 /tmpdisk/lib Code: 1
cp: cannot stat cp /lib/libacl.so.1 no such file or directory
Press any key to cont.
Error with cp /lib/libattr.so.1.1.0
no such file or dir
Backupmenu loaded ...

how can i fix this?

hi pali, what's the right linux power kernel version that works well with cleven?

@x_mony: I do not know what cleven using and how, but kernel-power v51 and kernel-power v52 have packet injection drivers.

Originally Posted by x_mony View Post
hi Estel, i am having a problem, i get the error in multiboot:
UDev started
Error with: cp /lib/libacl.so.1 /tmpdisk/lib Code: 1
cp: cannot stat cp /lib/libacl.so.1 no such file or directory
Press any key to cont.
Error with cp /lib/libattr.so.1.1.0
no such file or dir
Backupmenu loaded ...

how can i fix this?
Just ignore this error, it doesn't affect anything. robbiethe1st was supposed to remove check on those two files (or he did already, and you're using outdated version of backupmenu?). If it pesters you, you may install packages, that contain two missing libraries, but as said, it doesn't make any difference.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

when I go to root console (pressing t) I het the message "error loading keymap"
and unable to use the Fn key from there.

what can I do to fix this?

The Following User Says Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
Have you messed with /usr/share/backupmenu/extrafiles.tar.gz (or just .tar, can't recall it now)? It is supposed to contain keymap, that backupmenu tries to load upon entering recovery shell
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Have you messed with /usr/share/backupmenu/extrafiles.tar.gz (or just .tar, can't recall it now)? It is supposed to contain keymap, that backupmenu tries to load upon entering recovery shell
ah that was the problem, thanks! I fixed it now

I did mess with extrafiles.tar.gz following these instructions http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1204

my mistake was not giving the permissions to the files in ./bin before compressing them

The Following User Says Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system