Notices

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Milan - Italy
sorry but...
is the problem with initrd-progs solved?
maybe a new package?

The Following User Says Thank You to alexporta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Hi RobbieThe1st,

I wondered if it's high time to implement a logic into BM restore that checks kernel in /dev/mtd3 against any kernel modules in a backup about to get restored, and WARNS resp offers an option to not restore kernel modules if they don't match.
We seen zillions of users ending with a complete reflash and even maybe not able to restore at all (due to lack of proper guidance how to proceed) just because they did a BM backup and then installed powerkernel or uBoot. I think it should be rather easy for BM to test for and catch those problem cases, and even offer proper guidance:
Code:
PROBLEM during RESTORE detected:
Your system has kernel foo but backup has kernel modules for bar, which will most likely conflict and render your system unbootable!
Do you want to 
a) exclude the bar components from restore (may or may not work)
b) abort the restore and replace your foo kernel by bar manually, then restart the restore  (recommended)
c) ignore the conflict and restore anyway, probably risking a bootloop? (you should know exactly what you're doing to choose this option)
What do you think? If you plan to implement such function, don't hesitate to ping me for help.
Many thanks for what's undoubtly the most useful and important app on fremantle ever :-)

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Hi RobbieThe1st,

I wondered if it's high time to implement a logic into BM restore that checks kernel in /dev/mtd3 against any kernel modules in a backup about to get restored, and WARNS resp offers an option to not restore kernel modules if they don't match.
To me this sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it's doable.
(Just restored backup with wrong kernel version. Reflashed and now in the process of restoring again..)

:-]

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Hi RobbieThe1st,

... (truncated)
I completely agree this is a good idea, many of us were not initially aware of the fact that power kernel (let alone nokia kernel) would not get reflashed as a result of using backupmenu to restore original state hence resulting in indefinite bootloops.

The idea stated by jOERG is far more easier (in my opinion) to implement compared to making backupmenu somehow flashing whatever the kernel the user has setup the device in. Although by then most users would be stuck high and dry should they see the warning message when hoping to resort to a simple restore operation.

Hi everyone, when I try to do a backup it stops on Chrooting.. and nothing more appears. What can I do?

Look here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acurus_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
In that case, the fix is simple - inside extrafiles.tar.gz there's a text file with all the files to be in the new chroot. add it to the file, recompress the .gz and you should be good to go
Originally Posted by ade View Post
I added the file I suggested (the way you described it), and ... backupmenu is working again.

So there is no reason not to push a new version in the repo with "cp /lib/libpopt.so.0 /tmp/disk/lib/" added in filelist.txt.
Guys, are you going to fix this and push new version to Extras-Devel?

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Guys, are you going to fix this and push new version to Extras-Devel?
Too bad RobbieThe1st does not upload an update. I only did some research on why was not working anymore. I don't even use backupmenu on my primary device

But updating the package is an easy step, so I could try to upload a new version.

Code:
backupmenu (1.2.0-2) stable; urgency=low

Added libpopt.so.0, removed vi swapfile .functions.sh.swp
Edit: the updated version is now in the autobuilder queue

Last edited by ade; 2013-07-20 at 18:39.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
@ade: thanks very much. After package will be updated in extras-devel then new initrd-progs can be ready for next cssu-testing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
With the latest upgrade of backupmenu everything works like a charm.. thank you everyone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocketval For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system