Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
IMO N950 is all about landscape usage which N9's current UI isn't or very limited, therefore they have to concentrate on one way of usage, portrait. One feature I would miss if I had N950 is the idle clock screen which can't be used on N950 due to the TFT screen, visibility in sunlight is also important for me but I don't how is N950's screen compared to N9's in this situation.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
So when a lead developer in the N9 says no HDMI, that isn't proof enough for you? ...
He's talking about HDMI....
That has nothing to do with whether MHL is implemented or do-able via AV 3.5mm or mUSB.
Read up on MHL again... HDMI = irrelevant for HD output via MHL.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
N900 didn't have USB host but now it works. N9 does not have any HD output capability right now. QUite certain. But maybe some hacker/dev can somehow make it possible later on?
My point exactly.

If MHL is implemented at all, it's likely to be done via AV 3.5mm, as so far that's the only "official" means of TV-out.*
But if that were the case, surely we'd have some official specs now saying 3.5mm can do more than 480i out?

Which is why I'm hoping against hope that MHL is do-able "unofficially" via mUSB or 3.5mm much later on, thanks to efforts by the OSS community.
But 1st... We need official confirmation from Nokia that MHL is not implemented or planned, via 3.5mm or mUSB.

*& why'd they bother with two TV-outs, & even if they did, why not mention it?

But one thing I do use even on N8/E7 is USB OTG. So I really hope this can be enabled on the N9 at a later stage.
Yeah when it comes down to it, USB OTG is prolly more important overall for me too.
I have dedicated media front-end's that already do very nicely what an N9 could've done for me with HD out.

Originally Posted by Maj3stic View Post
This article http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...ia-n9-imaging/ just gave me a lot of perspective and respect in regards to the hardware manufacturing of the n9. After reading this it is really remarkable who the camera has as many features as it does in such a tight, snug, and elegant body. They explain that 12mp was too big a module to include and maintain the elegant design of the n9. So whoever is complaining about the camera and any other features such as hdmi, consider how that may have changed the overall shape of the unibody that is impressing everyone. Great job to Nokia!
Yeah I read that the other day...
I agree it is somewhat unappreciated what they've been able to do!

People keep confusing HD output, with the need for HDMI or even a HDMI port.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-06-29 at 06:50.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
haha someone made a game of elop burning platform and published it to Ovi store http://store.ovi.com/content/121617

game description is hilarious

Elop is a mischievous boy. He is on a platform and want let it burn! Please help (not him!) and shoot the water on the fire. You will only win, if you can drop Elpo from the platform. Are you a hero?

UPDATE: Elop as had the game Removed
Try the download herehttp://www.nokioteca.net/blog/2011/0...a-il-birbante/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Halifax
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Design is ok as a bonus.
If Nokia really felt out of options and decided to appeal mass market by design over features why they didn't release the

N950 as consumer device immediately and
N9 as media demo (vs developper) device to selected journalists 1nd bloggers first?

After a couple of months, a few online petitions 'Nokia bring the N9 to the consumers already, we don't need a keyboard' , the sexy device would be released right before iPhone 5.

Why not? ah it starts with an E.

I wonder if I would bother typing this nonsense if I had an N9 instead of N900.
The N950 had issues with the keyboard and I can't remember where it was said but it was rejected due to this. How can the n9 be a developer phone without a keyboard :P Also Elop doesn't listen to people even us Canadians haha so a petition would do nothing

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Fascinating article.

http://mobile-review.com/articles/20...i-125-en.shtml
So Eldar lurks at talk.maemo.org.

Judging from the article pictures in the text.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
N9 does not have any HD output capability right now. QUite certain. But maybe some hacker/dev can somehow make it possible later on?
I think the point people are trying to make is that, for hypothetical features that are based on zero information but maybe somehow possible later on, it should be discussed later on.

It has been asked on TMO and Meego handset, nobody can tell, please just wait till somebody can.

Generally Eldar did it again:

"92,000 handsets were produced (N950 for developers was released even in lower numbers)"

I thought 92k handsets is for N950. Is he doing that deliberately?
and still no comment from Nokia on avilability in UK, etc.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^ He's full of crap...
It's just some arbitrary no. he likes to repeat.
He originally was saying the same for 950.
Why now magically is that no. assoc. w/the N9?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
anyone know if the calendar app is open or closed? i would like to see other apps that make use of days etc being able to use the calendar. eg.
weather app is able to put the forecast in the calendar for days you pick. doesn't have to be lots of detail, maybe temp and picture of cloud or little bit of info thats clickable to open up the weather app.
Via the Qt mobility APIs, you would be able to add an event to the calendar from another application. Whether you would be able to do the picture and open the weather app is another question.

or a history/event logger being able to click on a day already gone by and if you took images or video's you can see how many and click to open the image viewer with those filtered.
It should be possible to do this with Qt mobility on Maemo 5 and Harmattan. I had hoped to start learning Qt Quick etc. by writing such an app, but have had no time for it ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
N900 didn't have USB host but now it works. N9 does not have any HD output capability right now. QUite certain. But maybe some hacker/dev can somehow make it possible later on? If not, it's okay by me I guess. I don't use HDMI out as often as I thought I would anyways. (with my N8/E7)

But one thing I do use even on N8/E7 is USB OTG. So I really hope this can be enabled on the N9 at a later stage.
for USB OTG there might actually be some hope, atleast according to this:

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/attachments/omap3630_iso.png

The Following User Says Thank You to mooglez For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????