Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Is this a N900 fix only? Us N8xx users probably out numer by a factor of ten. Thanks for getting into this so quickly. Can't wait to log back in to DG soon.
As I already stated and as my long history shows (check all apps in my sig) I always make things available for Diablo users. This fix has even already been confirmed.

For the current status of things you can always check the package page
http://maemo.org/packages/view/dialcentral/
(Note, what is reflected there might take time before it is reflected in the Application Manager).

EDIT: I do apologize for the 0 or so 770 users left for not making my apps available for it. Mine is a bit on the fritz (has the "can't connect in presence of 802.11n" bug if I remember correctly).

Last edited by epage; 2010-08-26 at 02:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Southwest USA Desert
Originally Posted by epage View Post
As I already stated and as my long history shows (check all apps in my sig) I always make things available for Diablo users. This fix has even already been confirmed..
Sorry Ed... All the N900 posts on Talk must have me paranoid
I'm logged in and on line again. Thanks VERY much Pardner.
Slim

Hi, I wanted to know if this application allowed you to do callback, as in you select a contact to call and instead of that call going out, this app interrupts it and then calls you and when you pick up it then connects you to the contact you originally wanted to call.

Also I wanted to know if this app will only work if you have a gizmo account?

Thank you in advance?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by ghostnik11 View Post
Hi, I wanted to know if this application allowed you to do callback, as in you select a contact to call and instead of that call going out, this app interrupts it and then calls you and when you pick up it then connects you to the contact you originally wanted to call.
That sounds a lot like VICalR, and no DC does not do that.
The closest thing to the sort of functionality you want is The One Ring (TOR) which presents you a list of contacts to call (your google contacts) and then sends the command to the google voice servers to give you a callback at the configured callback number.

Also I wanted to know if this app will only work if you have a gizmo account?
The principle behind Google Voice is that you need at least one phone number that Google can call to complete the phone call.
This phone number does not have to be a Gizmo number.
It can even be a Skype In number, a home phone (land line) or a cell phone number or all of the above.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
That sounds a lot like VICalR, and no DC does not do that.
The closest thing to the sort of functionality you want is The One Ring (TOR) which presents you a list of contacts to call (your google contacts) and then sends the command to the google voice servers to give you a callback at the configured callback number.

The principle behind Google Voice is that you need at least one phone number that Google can call to complete the phone call.
This phone number does not have to be a Gizmo number.
It can even be a Skype In number, a home phone (land line) or a cell phone number or all of the above.
Thank you so much for the clarification and for the quick reply and one last question with The One Ring (TOR) can it be done on any nokia phone. The reason why I ask that question is because I currently use an android powered phone and the thing is its 3g quality over sip calling is choppy so I wanted a more powerful phone and I am looking towards nokia so if this The One Ring (TOR) can work on other nokia smart phones then I will be able to use it and google voice to make phone calls over just 3g mobile carrier network instead of using cellular minutes.

Thank you so much for the clarification and for the quick reply and one last question with The One Ring (TOR) can it be done on any nokia phone. The reason why I ask that question is because I currently use an android powered phone and the thing is its 3g quality over sip calling is choppy so I wanted a more powerful phone and I am looking towards nokia so if this The One Ring (TOR) can work on other nokia smart phones then I will be able to use it and google voice to make phone calls over just 3g mobile carrier network instead of using cellular minutes.
TOR and dialcentral both only support the callback model of calls. You can set any phone number as your callback for both.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
TOR has been written using Python. Therefore it will run on any platform that supports Python. This means TOR will work on all Nokia platforms that run Maemo. As far as I know, it should also run on Meego - but I cannot say that with full confidence because I haven't investigated Meego.
I remember reading somewhere that Symbian S60 based phones now have a Python interpreter - which means TOR should theoretically run there as well - but I don't have a Symbian phone and I don't know if Ed has tried it on any Symbian phones.
In summary: For all current and future Nokia smartphone platforms, TOR does work and should work.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
TOR has been written using Python. Therefore it will run on any platform that supports Python. This means TOR will work on all Nokia platforms that run Maemo. As far as I know, it should also run on Meego - but I cannot say that with full confidence because I haven't investigated Meego.
I remember reading somewhere that Symbian S60 based phones now have a Python interpreter - which means TOR should theoretically run there as well - but I don't have a Symbian phone and I don't know if Ed has tried it on any Symbian phones.
In summary: For all current and future Nokia smartphone platforms, TOR does work and should work.
TOR is a Telepathy plugin and will work on any system that supports Telepathy and Python which is just Linux (Desktop), Maemo, and I assume Meego.

Dialcentral is in Python but uses GTK which limits it to the same platforms as TOR. I've started my Qt port which if PyQt/PySlide get supported on Symbian means it would be able to run there but I have no devices to test.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
More info on Google's recent changes:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=798104
http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.google.com/chat/voice/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368315,00.asp

Right now, it looks like if the question is, "I have Google Voice and I want to receive VoIP calls!" then it looks like the answer is (somewhat curiously) "Via the Gmail web site (Chat feature)".

Where does DialCentral come in to this picture? If I understand correctly, it would be nice for DialCentral to allow "Google Chat" as one of the forwarding options. But that's the only obvious tie-in I can see. (Other than, of course, I wish that DialCentral could be receiving calls and not Gmail, but that's up to Google in their infinite wisdom.)

LATER: Nevermind about the Google Chat option. That's part of Google Voice Settings, and I can see that DialCentral doesn't attempt to handle the Settings. But if Google ever expanded their Voice API to make and receive calls... ooooh it would be nice for DialCentral to do that.

Last edited by buurmas; 2010-08-26 at 22:40. Reason: update

Thanks for the clarification and I guess I will be trying to get a nokia n900 or wait for a new nokia phone that works with meego so thank you again for the clarification.