Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I'm having the identical problem.

Any time it's check with it's automagic background mode. Same here. It's every 5 minutes or so for me, but that's what I have my check interval set to.
As a temporary workaround, if you leave modest running you won't get the error messages.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by tso View Post
there is a option for it in gconf.
Ok, found it, thanks!
I wasn't sure your post was in response to my question.

Is this documented anywhere? Using gconf to make changes such as this just seems 'counterintuitive', given that the gconf editor is not emphasized.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Hague, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just a warning, my system got toasted when I updated to the latest Modest (March 10, 2008) through the Application Manager (non Red Pill mode). I started getting constant "Internal Error: Application 'E-Mail' closed" messages in the middle of doing other stuff, like watching video or whatever.

I had to revert back to the old version (Feb 29) manually, and now everything's fine again.
Qole,

As I have the same problems as the others here, could you pls explain me how to manually revert back to the older version?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Ok, found it, thanks!

Is this documented anywhere? Using gconf to make changes such as this just seems 'counterintuitive', given that the gconf editor is not emphasized.
i dont think its documented anywhere. i came across it while playing around with gconf-editor...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Nif View Post
Qole,

As I have the same problems as the others here, could you pls explain me how to manually revert back to the older version?

Thanks in advance.
It's ugly and messy. I'll try.

1. Either go into red pill mode in Application manager or use "apt-get remove" as root. Remove the following packages (some may get removed when others are removed also):
  • modest
  • libtinymailui-gtk-1.0-0
  • libtinymailui-1.0-0
  • libtinymail-maemo-1.0-0 (removed with libtinymailui-gtk-1.0-0)
  • libtinymail-gnomevfs-1.0-0
  • libtinymail-1.0-0
  • libtinymail-camel-1.0-0 (removed with libtinymail-1.0-0)

2. I think you need to be in red pill mode for this. Go to the modest repository with your web browser, or, probably easier, use the links in the list below. If you use the repo, you need to install the Feb. 29th version of the following packages (click on the link and use "open"), and I think they need to be in this order. If a package insists on one of the other ones as a dependency, just install the dependency first.

If someone finds a problem with my instructions, my links or the install order, please tell me.

This will probably be obsoleted soon, when they release a fixed version. But if you can't wait for the update...

Last edited by qole; 2008-03-19 at 17:14. Reason: actually followed the procedure downgrading from 12, made slight changes

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Ok, found it, thanks!

Where did you find it at?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just a warning, my system got toasted when I updated to the latest Modest (March 10, 2008) through the Application Manager (non Red Pill mode). I started getting constant "Internal Error: Application 'E-Mail' closed" messages in the middle of doing other stuff, like watching video or whatever.
Guys, a reminder: make sure you file bugs (or vote for existing ones), otherwise the developers won't know about them:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2968

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jussik View Post
Guys, a reminder: make sure you file bugs (or vote for existing ones), otherwise the developers won't know about them:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2968
What, don't they read these forums?

Also, I tried to create a bugzilla account, but I got this:

Software error:

DBD::mysql::db do failed: Access denied for user: 'maemobugs@10.5.7.11' to database 'maemobugs' at /usr/share/perl5/Bugzilla/DB/Mysql.pm line 196
Bugzilla:B::Mysql::bz_lock_tables('Bugzilla:B: :Mysql=HASH(0x8b63cd8)', 'profiles WRITE', 'groups READ', 'user_group_map WRITE', 'email_setting WRITE', 'tokens READ') called at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/bugzilla/createaccount.cgi line 72

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webhost@maemo.org), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
I have to say there is some irony in discovering a problem in a bugzilla implementation.

Last edited by qole; 2008-03-13 at 22:39. Reason: changed title

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by mscdex View Post
Where did you find it at?
First, you need to have gconf-editor installed.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/gconf-editor/

Then, fire it up (it installs under "Settings"), navigate to apps->modest->fetch_external_images.

Gconf-editor is kinda like regedit for the Windoze environment.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Ok, Modest does work with gmail... kinda.

1) Why do messages not get marked read by Modest, is there some trick?

2) Sometimes deleted mail gets deleted, most of the time it is gone from Modest, but still in my inbox if I check from another client.

Tags
mail modest