Active Topics

Poll: Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?
Poll Options
Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Where the heck did I mention $200?

Look, I don't know what your main language is (although English is not my mother tongue either) but I think there's a communication breakdown somewhere.

Moreover my last post was addressed to abill, where he's flaming others for not being on topic whereas he was... where he usually is.

I also forgive your narrow-mindedness.

You will understand us in time.

I've already donated a few hundred dollars to various maemo devs and I would definitely donate more for foss activities, especially those around the mobile space
As above....its back a few pages.

English and Precise. Thats me

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Keep adding reasons to donate, the more the better, i just gave one NOT the only one

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by thebtman View Post
As above....its back a few pages.

English and Precise. Thats me
No need to capitalize "precise" and apostrophes for "it's" and "that's", but that's just me...

But seriously though, you've just given proof that I did not say $200. Let's leave it at that, I'm not going to mention the exact amount.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Way off-topic but something I was thinking about just a day ago whilst using my HP TouchPad... imagine if a company like HP had started a simple $1 a month fee to access their app store. At full-price, that would be suicide.

But at their sale price of $99 USD, they're losing a ton of money. To make some of it back, they could charge that simple $1 a month to all device owners - say it's for maintaining the servers. It would probably be welcomed.

That would be around 270k more than likely sold, or 500k if you were to look at how many were built (estimates only, I don't know the full numbers), and they'd recoup some of that loss over the life of the product.

Just a thought.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
But seriously though, you've just given proof that I did not say $200. Let's leave it at that, I'm not going to mention the exact amount.
lol pedantic....either way, its not something to brag about is it.

Few Dollars
Few Hundred dollars
Few Thousand dollars
Few Million Dollars

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

Can we agree to dropping the semantic battle? It's quite petty and overly annoying.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
We, can, only if You and ysss can stop responding to abil ****. Really guys, if You can't add him to ignore list, please, use PM. It's only thank to ones like You (not to mentioning that little idiot) that such a trolls have someone to talk with, and spam almost every thread.

I'm extremely happy that they're too stupid to use mailing list, at least this medium is free of them.

BTW, I think this topic started to duplicate "bright ideas" about maemo future from many other thread. +, OP showed that he's quite abillish. Summing it all up, I've totally lost interest in this thread, and - while respecting everyone right to decide what to do with own time - I suggest everyone to do the same. It's only another chit-chat without any sense or conclusions/projects coming out from it.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
We, can, only if You and ysss can stop responding to abil ****. Really guys, if You can't add him to ignore list, please, use PM. It's only thank to ones like You (not to mentioning that little idiot) that such a trolls have someone to talk with, and spam almost every thread.
Duly noted.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Ok everybody, cut the crap. Lets not have personal attacks.

thebtman, you're the OP and you've gotta be willing to listen to others points without mocking them. Thats the only way we can move forward. Lets not get petty. You asked why I was taking "such effort to involve yourself with this thread". The reason is that while I don't think the plan being discussed (paying new devs to port maemo) is feasible, doesnt mean I want to see Maemo/n900 die anytime soon. And I want to help find a solution.

And you asked me to provide details about manhours involved in porting. I am not a developer and thus the following maybe completely wrong, but it may give some idea:
Time taken for porting android to maemo: 2+ years and still essential functions are not ready...
Time taken for porting Meego to N900 (no closed bits involved here IMO): 1.5 years+ it's getting there...

So a major project like porting Maemo cannot be done commercially. ie, We cannot pay somebody to do it as the financial numbers involved will be huge. We can only hope that some benevolent developer takes this up as his pet project and then we can help him with donations.

Ysss, you have mentioned that you dont agree with the plan being discussed. Ok, but do you have any suggessions for us?

abill, hmmm, I am not sure I understand what you're saying. This is what I understand (correct me if I am wrong): That we can reverse-engineer the closed source bits and while it is a legal grey area, no court will find us faulty as it is not done for profit. Am i right?
See, I am not an expert in licenses, but there is a fundemental problem here. Even If we have nokia's code (reverse-engineered), how do we distribute it? It of course has to distributed (as CSSU or a seperate distro), but what license will the code be released? We cannot use GPL or any similiar licenses as it is Nokia's code.
So, even if reverse engineering the code is possible, and we ignore the legal/moral implications, only individuals can use it and we wont be able to legitimately share it or distribute it.

So IMO, its time we start being realistic and forget the NOKIA option.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Last edited by ejasmudar; 2011-09-11 at 19:07. Reason: bloody confusing double negatives!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
When I registered, I thought I would be able to get live stream of football, but all I see are posts
Am I missing something, or is there only chat?

Tags
open-core trap, telethon time