Active Topics

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by PanzerSajt View Post
I added the swap in /etc/fstab that swap which is the default 768mb on the n900's mmc.
That's a good idea but I wouldn't like adding it to the script since I'd like to prevent mmc from wearing out.

why should it wear out? AFAIK, everything related to eMMC is protected by hardware wear-leveling. Only 256 MB NAND doesn't have hardware leveling - but, it does have it in software, except kernel part (that's why uboot is theoretically better than multiboot)

So, it doesn't seem that using SWAP partition wear eMMC more than just writing files.

Also, remember that using swap on microSD boost performance (at least in Maemo), due to avoiding I/O race between swap and regular files, located on same eMMC. I don't see any reasons, why should it behave differently using Kubuntu (seems hardware'ish), so ideal settings would be to use swap on microSD, not eMMC.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Keep up the good work guys!

Hope it will be 100% complete in the near future

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Can you give a brief summary on what works and what doesn't?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Ok, here is the new version of the script. Not polished and there are some problems with Ubuntu Core but it works. Feel free to discuss and fix any bugs
Didn't test it (focused on Core this time) but it may work again with Ubuntu 11.10
Int_ua, thanks for your script - helped a lot with upgrading from kubuntu mobile 10.10!
I have installed, using your script, oneiric-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap.img

So, here are some remarks:

1)Maybe it is good to give an opportunity downloading qemu-arm-static directly, or suggest a later(i.g. latest working) version (just copying it from newer distribution worked for my older ubuntu fine). Or at least remind that it works good with new enough qemu-arm-static.

2)In the end of chroot-part, suggest installation of lxde (or whichever "light enough" wm) - that may help with better starting experience using kubuntu on the device
(added this later: ready lxde does not exist in packages for oneiric-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap.img; still the problem for light wm remains)

3)For named choice, failed to get in apt universe and multiverse (looks that does not exist)

Shure, there are (and will be) plenty of questions about all kinds of functionality, and that is mostly to those who work with the "adaptation images" themselves, but one of more important ( maybe you know how to do ) - better "power management", e.g. enabling charging with usb-pc cable.

p.s.
Not quite relevant to this topic, but important for many users of n900 (that is also because the maemo, &$ck, is not completely done) - there is a possibility to modify /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 to use the hw keyboard normally with Ukrainian (and many other languages as well) which nokia's maemo refuses to support. (In kubuntu, there should be some similar possibility - nor very useful for Kubuntu, but could help to use the device normally in general)

Last edited by Aravinda; 2011-11-07 at 13:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aravinda For This Useful Post:
Well, lxde exists in oneric and runs with no many crashes.
(a part of /etc/apt/sources.list:
eb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ oneiric main restricted universe multiverse.
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ oneiric-security main restricted universe multiverse.
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ oneiric-updates main restricted universe multiverse.
)
With other windows managers it is hard to use it.

(So far worked network, sound. for sound mplayer crashes)

There is some problem with authorization for system dialogs - was necessary to make passwd for root (that should not be normally)

Last edited by Aravinda; 2011-11-08 at 20:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aravinda For This Useful Post:
Need some help here
how to use int_ua's script?
i don't got nitdroid installed is it needed?
i got gparted boot cd which type of portions are needed and what size?

i am newbie, i need VLC to run IPTV which maemo failed to...
thx in advance !!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to rAXv2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rAXv2 View Post
Need some help here
how to use int_ua's script?
i don't got nitdroid installed is it needed?
i got gparted boot cd which type of portions are needed and what size?

i am newbie, i need VLC to run IPTV which maemo failed to...
thx in advance !!!!
rAXv2, hello!
To run int_ua's script(s) is simple enough - just connect to good network (or provide the stuff - image(s), they are listed inside the script,choose that which you want, kubuntu-mobile-n900-integration_0.1_all.deb, and install qemu-user-static ), choose the place on disk with enough free space, insert microSD card in cardreader and run as root.

But I dare to say that these distributions on n900, and at least in this form as now, are mostly "for fun" and no of much "direct" use with day-to-day applications (still VLC there works)
(there is no power management, the sensors do not work, graphics crashes, constant problems with booting, no phone functioning)
(It would be good to print some our logs/crash_reports here, for the developers to improve the distributions, but obviously it is not in this thread)

Last edited by Aravinda; 2011-11-09 at 16:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aravinda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Ok, the thread is really becoming too uncomfortable. It needs a wiki (rentze just made a good point) and QaA at least.
So I'll try to register launchpad project as thopiekar suggested.
UPDATE: Here it is: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-n900
And right now I'll talk to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/n900 authors on the IRC.

Last edited by int_ua; 2011-11-10 at 12:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Ok, the thread is really becoming too uncomfortable. It needs a wiki (rentze just made a good point) and QaA at least.
So I'll try to register launchpad project as thopiekar suggested.
And right now I'll talk to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/n900 authors on the IRC.
Thanks for the great work! My N900 becomes the second device in a few days so I will be much open for playing around. By the way, Ofono 1.0 is out:

We are pleased to announce that oFono 1.0 has been released. This marks a major step for oFono and we consider it fully feature complete for 2G and 3G telephony.
Maybe we are not too far from a full-fledged smartphone version of Ubuntu, at least for the N900.

BTW, one question. Wouldn't a XFCE of LXDE spin be more suitable for our poor old hardware?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post: