Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
FWIW I'm seeing the same thing . Logs show:

Code:
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/gizmo-project.png', which is also in package gizmo-installer
If you are sure of yourself, you have to tell dpkg to force overwritting files.

Code:
dpkg --force-overwrite -i packagename.deb
This is a very common error.

Another way to do it, directly from apt-get:

Code:
apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install packagename
Removing the conflicting file doesn't help because the list of files is stored somewhere.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Has anyone else had an issue where if you lock the tablet, you can't unlock it? Ie, it won't let you press the center button to unlock the screen and buttons?
Just reporting SECOND time this happened to me.

Thsi time my N800 wasn't in keylock mode. It was just in normal sleep overnight when after waking up the screen with stylus it does not recognize any front panel key presses, nor the full screen and + and - keys on the top. Only the power button works. After reboot all the buttons work.

In other words this problem does not only appear during keylock mode. It has something to do with the powersave/sleep mode in general.

EDIT: added my 2 cents into bugzilla bug #2311.

Last edited by Mara; 2007-11-17 at 17:13.

Yeah it happened to me twice in a row and then worked fine the other times. I actually went back to OS2007 anyway because of not enough apps, so I don't know if it would have been a continual thing, or just was randomly doing it twice in a row for me.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by evanjfraser View Post
GPE does work on OS2008, but you need to use the experimental dist at:

http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/

(add "deb http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/ chinook experimental" to your
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list )
Superb! Thanks for the link. This wasn't in the N810 repository list when I looked yesterday.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I tried, but it didn't help. However uninstalling the "gizmo-installer" package with:

Code:
dpkg -r gizmo-installer
Did let me install Gizmo from their repo via App Manager
After re-reading this thred, it seems that a few folks have it working, but not me, alas. I just tried this method but got an error message that said I had to be a 'superuser'...it this something relatively simple for a linux noob to attempt or should I just wait?

The Following User Says Thank You to Greyghost For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by free View Post
If you are sure of yourself, you have to tell dpkg to force overwritting files.

Code:
dpkg --force-overwrite -i packagename.deb
This is a very common error.

Another way to do it, directly from apt-get:

Code:
apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install packagename
Removing the conflicting file doesn't help because the list of files is stored somewhere.
do you have the 'packagename' for the gizmo install, or could you tell us where to find the name? thank you for your help above.

john

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
You have to be root. There are various ways to do this. One is to install becomroot. This can be found at maemo.org under the 2006 software, IIRC. A search for "becomeroot maemo" on google may get you there sooner though... sorry i don't know the link ottomh. btw this dpkg -r gizmo-installer method worked for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to johsua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johsua View Post
- snip - btw this dpkg -r gizmo-installer method worked for me.
thanks for your note. i'd tried it twice before but has gotten a message saying the data base was being used by another program (though no other programs was running other than the xterm window.) third time was the charm. gizmo works great. now i have to find someone who can receive an image.

john

The Following User Says Thank You to jdr93 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
third time was the charm. gizmo works great.
Indeed, I had to run the command three times before it worked, but it did! Removed the offending file and now I have gizmo installed. Now to go test!

Thanks to all for the help.

Just a thought for those trying to use the Ubuntu live cd to do this flash and are having USB problems - Have you tried hitting F6 and adding any (or all) of the following options at the end of the startup string: noapic noacpi noirqdebug ?