Minus the price and the phone capabilities, N810 is a better device, better screen, better web browser, more software options, better speakers, keyboard (if you don't need the keyboard or GPS you can get the N800 for half the price), don't have to deal with itunes or DRM music (you can buy music directly from Amazon MP3 website).

Ok, let's compare service costs of AT&T :
http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=240

Cheapest voice/data plan for AT&T $70.

With this sprint deal :
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-...&keyword1=SERO
That is $40 difference over 24 months is $960 + $200(iPhone) for spending on a phone or NIT phone combo, not taking into account a phone discount. (note that with out this discount sprint costs just as much as AT&T :P)

T-mobiles cheapest plan is $30 voice + $20 data, so it is $20 cheaper then AT&T although it is edge, it does include hot spots. So left over is $480 + $200(iPhone) and a discount on their phones (if you are signing a new contract).

Verizon is ridiculous, I am not sure how good their 'mobile web' is and if it can be tethered, but their pda/smart phone plans with broadband web is expensive $80 minimum.

But anyway, even if you paid more for the N810, it is a better device and worth the extra cost, and the iPhone isn't as cheap as it looks upfront.

The N810 has replaced my laptop for browsing the web at home, something my iPhone never did for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Still doesn't beat my usage cost of $0 and no contract. I'm not counting the $4/mth for the DID number since that also works at home on my ATA and at work via the PBX and via softphone from the laptop or wherever the NIT happens to be.

to each his/hers own. so buy the iThing already and let the rest of us get back to NITty things.

{if you don't know what a DID, ATA, or PBX is then the iWhat is for you} or not, who cares.

Originally Posted by IcelandDreams View Post
S
to each his/hers own. so buy the iThing already and let the rest of us get back to NITty things.
A nice and valid sentiment, but Nokia ignores the iPhone at its own peril. I am a long time Palm-Treo user (and developer) and have seen a beloved platform (Palm OS) go to shameful lows.

To restate it, Apple understands computer commandment #1 "ITSS" (It's the Software, Stupid.). They also understand something that seems to elude so many people on this forum, the fact that people are willing to pay for what they want, for quality, for ease of use, etc. (look at the console gaming market, look at iTunes/iPod, etc).

The NIT is an amazing platform, but I've been around for a long time, and seen amazing plaforms die from losing the hearts and minds of developers and end users, and there is no question that depending upon the software that comes out for the iPhone (and relavantly for the NIT, the future iTouch), it could be bad news for Nokia/NIT.

ust saying.

The Following User Says Thank You to lny98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lny98 View Post
A nice and valid sentiment, but Nokia ignores the iPhone at its own peril.
Nokia is not ignoring the iPhone.

Oh, and when Apple's share of the computer OS market ever rises out of the basement, I'll give them more credit for truly grokking the needs of software users and less for having an amazing but mostly overblown marketing engine.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-06-10 at 18:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
100% with Iny98, I'm also an ex-Treo user looking for a new 'home'. Too many people here seems to forget that the NIT is a _product_ by a _commercial_ company. If the _product_ does not make profit (ie: tap into a profitable and sustainable market share), there's no point of continuing the development and manufacture of the line. Granted the NIT is in (perpetual?) beta \ development stages now, but during the last 2 years it seems to have been overstepped by Apple, and soon by the Android crowd.

I don't buy the argument that they don't occupy the same market segment. There's too much common features and common functions shared among these platforms (Android, Mobile OSX and NIT) to overlook the competition amongst them.

If Nokia bent over for every iApple feature then they would have built something that isn't the N8 and wouldn't have me for a customer. The Ns could certainly improve a lot but it does what I want it to do well enough that I bought it and not running for the iHerd. I'm sure the iGoddevice is very lovely but I couldn't possibly care less about what it does or doesn't do. I'm already doing it on the N8.

Whatever it is that Nokia does, it better do some **** to be making NIT a product that appeals to a broad audience for the sake of its longevity. Put a dumb layer on top of the current mess, so the current NIT lovers can still 'do it' underneath the public flashy front end, I don't care.

I mean, personally I'd rather look forward to a better NIT device in the future than have the platform die of lack of interest and get stuck with N810\N900.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Put a dumb layer on top of the current mess, so the current NIT lovers can still 'do it' underneath the public flashy front end, I don't care.
What? More dumber still??

@Karel: Hmm, you're right. Flashy dumber layer then.

Why does it have to appeal to the largest audience before it is a success? The widest audience still leaves a segment unserved. That is usually my problem, hundreds of choices and nothing that I want. Of course every product wants to sell as much as possible but niche products are perfect if enough people buy it and then consider that brand's other products when the need arises. If I ever decide to try a cell phone (not likely in Canada) I'll first look at Nokia. Subaru has a niche market for cars but it happens to be what I need and they sell enough to be successful without being the biggest. Now they are trying to be mainstream and starting to loose the appeal it once had (not because they sell more but because the things that are important to me are becoming less important to them).

So far I'm not impressed with the iBling.