Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
there was hardly any advertising in UK too i heard of a few posters on the london tube and few in a shop window but there was zero outside london.
most advertising was done online

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-05-28 at 18:19.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Ads were non-existent in my part of the States.
I've still never seen an ad for the N900 on the street, on TV or even online.
As i know, todays ads are different. You can loose the new prototype phone in the bar or have other ways to make huge websites and blogs to make ad for you for free =)

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The ads were not really visible in North America and Japan. But Europe having ads would make more sense though.

Am I wrong to assume you're speaking of advertisements in Europe? We saw little to none in the US, Mexico and Canada markets.
I can speak for Europe and Middle east - and London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Copenhagen, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat all had N900 plastered all over.

The malls here in the middle east had N900 on their "advert screens" (yes we have plenty of flat screen advertising boards in our malls here)

All the mobile shops had "N900 stations" where you could play with the N900 live - and not only "non-working display models" as they have for most other phones.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
I can speak for Europe and Middle east - and London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Copenhagen, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat all had N900 plastered all over.

The malls here in the middle east had N900 on their "advert screens" (yes we have plenty of flat screen advertising boards in our malls here)

All the mobile shops had "N900 stations" where you could play with the N900 live - and not only "non-working display models" as they have for most other phones.
i think your over estimating the marketing in Europe, n900 was marketed no where near at the level of other Nokia devices and was never meant to be mainstream

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
As i know, todays ads are different. You can loose the new prototype phone in the bar or have other ways to make huge websites and blogs to make ad for you for free =)
You have the smiley in the end of your comment, but actually that's the truth. Posters, banners, newspaper ads and tv commercials probably were ok yesterday.

Today you just have to post secret leaks to tech blogs every single day, deny everything, use mr. blurrycam once a week, investigate the leaks with the police, let someone post a baseball-bat-device-trashing video to Youtube to get millions of views, a use blogger-analysts to guess the sales numbers by the length of the queue, hire tons of "fanboys" to write positive comments on Engadget and Gizmodo...

It's dirty, but the main thing is to stay on the headlines. Every single day.

What I'd like Nokia to do is to show more of those things when N900 controls the airplane, transforms into a robot, hacks in to the skyscraper to stop the elevators - and suddenly your mom calls and tells you to wear long johns as it's probably cold outside tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The ethnocentrism discussion posts are off-topic for this thread and have been moved to a new thread, "Ethnocentrism: A Discussion", in the Off-Topic forum. Continue that discussion there, not here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Not a surprise... and based on the announcement of no Meego for N900 they will sell even sell...

*sigh* the n900 isn't a good mainstream phone, and I don't recommend it for those who don't already know how to use Unix like operating systems, or don't like linux and the type of community it brings...

For those who do, its a awesome. the n900 is king of a niche market, where there are no real competitors.

As far as the iphone, apple products don't have competition, they sell to apple users, primarily, and apple users will buy it because it has the apple logo on it primarily.

The Following User Says Thank You to GI jack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GI jack View Post
As far as the iphone, apple products don't have competition, they sell to apple users, primarily, and apple users will buy it because it has the apple logo on it primarily.
People say this, but they nailed the mass market. They came out with a good looking smartphone that had a recognizable brand and a great user experience.

Apple products have competition, but at least in the smartphone market their competitors were full of hubris. They're finally getting around to catching up, with varying degrees of success (mostly the "it's not Apple" crowd, which is nontrivial.)

I dont think soooo

Tags
nokia n900, sales