Poll: Is this on or off-topic?
Poll Options
Is this on or off-topic?

Agreed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair,_R...minatory_terms

One Assumes that having done this multiple times with other licensors a precedence has already been set.

Mike C

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
You keep saying that, and it's true that a bad implementation doesn't imply a bad principle. But a bad implementation doesn't rule out a bad principle either, so your statement above doesn't shed much light.

There was plenty of scientific and social advancement before patents existed. Without patents, the barriers to "advancement of the arts and sciences" are lower, and people engage in a constant process of incremental improvement. With patents, you get pockets of more intense (but isolated) development, and a reduction in the number of scientists/engineers together with an increase in the number of lawyers.

Regards,
Roger
Roger, I don't argue with your points at all-- just the "IP is always evil" sort of rants. I thought that would be self-obvious and I'm not sure why anything else needs to be belabored...

Although I would change your 'the barriers to "advancement of the arts and sciences" are lower' to 'the barriers to "advancement of the arts and sciences" can be lower'.

Anyway as usual black and white viewpoints need not apply.

EDIT: allnameswereout explained it brilliantly. Kudos.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-24 at 19:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post

There was plenty of scientific and social advancement before patents existed. Without patents, the barriers to "advancement of the arts and sciences" are lower, and people engage in a constant process of incremental improvement. With patents, you get pockets of more intense (but isolated) development, and a reduction in the number of scientists/engineers together with an increase in the number of lawyers.

Regards,
Roger
That assertion doesn't hold up. Apple was able to easily develop UMTS cell phones even though they had no experience in the technology. I'd say the barriers to entry are lower, except that you're expected to compensate those who invented the technology you are using.

Patents have existed for over 100 years. As to the increase in patenting activity over the last 15 years, the development of cellular technology has also been tremendous in the last 15 years. Before that not so much.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Patents are all about disclosure. Somehow that important fact gets lost in the noise.

Some myths exploded: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-for-my-ideas/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by mikec View Post

One Assumes that having done this multiple times with other licensors a precedence has already been set.
Well, I suppose that Apple side might argue that Nokia felt threatened about iPhone and wasn't willing to offer fair terms. We'll have to wait and see what comes up in trial, altough the chances of corporate lawyers settling this behind closed doors are pretty high.

Precedence might be bit tricky concept here. Most of the previous license agreements have propably involved extensive crosslicensing, as many major manufacturers have loads of their own IP in GSM (Motorola, Qualcomm, Ericsson/SE, Samsung etc). Apple propably has very little, if any, patents suitable for cross licensing in this area.

Last edited by Rauha; 2009-10-24 at 21:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Finnish business newspaper Kauppalehti reports that Nokia has now also hired a finnish law firm on the case. I think we might soon see similar complaint in Helsinki and/or Brussels court(s).

Oh, and lots of bonuses for lawyers on both sides of the Atlantic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Yeah but the trial will start in like what - 2011? 2012?

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by GunnerzMate View Post
Yeah but the trial will start in like what - 2011? 2012?
Not that Nokia will mind - more iPhone's sold more royalties paid

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
My totally uneducated speculation: defensive case for introducing multitouch in Maemo 6 and Symbian ^4.

After Apple sues Nokia for infringing their multitouch patents, sneaky and filthy rich lawyers will do somekind of agreement to drop both cases.
Multi-touch from Nokia will already arrive this year, with the Symbian-based X6 device. With an ARM11 CPU (which unfortunately is a part of Nokia's plans for Symbian standardization; all Nokia S60v5 devices to date have this CPU, hopefully they will increase the horse-power for the Symbian Foundation OS release) fanboys won't do anything but complain about it.

So yeah, it looks like a Maemo device will be the first serious multitouch one from Nokia, but it doesn't need to be capacitive (hopefully and most likely won't be that either).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
So yeah, it looks like a Maemo device will be the first serious multitouch one from Nokia, but it doesn't need to be capacitive (hopefully and most likely won't be that either).
Why is it "most likely" the first Maemo device with multitouch support won't have a capacitive screen? Nokia announced at the summit that Harmattan is being designed for multitouch, capacitive screen devices.

Tags
apple, intellectual property, lawsuit, nokia, nonsense magnet, patent infringement