Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Honestly, "a clean break from maemo"? What do you suggest? That we commit suicide here? Or what else is your problem with choosing that clear break option for yourself at any other forum of your choice? Ahh right, they are all just "nurrsery_ground" and thus not what you expect from them... well then you either have to go for them anyway, or you opt for tmo, since one thing is for sure, wherever you go, tmo at large won't follow you to get that clear break from itself.
I know this isn't intentional, but the takeaway/sub-text that I read from your posts is that there is a fight for control and continued pertinence... and an even stronger "It's us or them" stance.

That's just my take and I truly hope that I'm wrong. Community is not just one, but could be many. Having beginner, intermediate, expert, developer, mixtures therein and "nursery ground" covers more bases and expands exposure.

Folks loyal to TMO will stay here. Folks that jump ship would do so once a better option exists. Especially given how niche how Maemo truly has become.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Folks loyal to TMO will stay here. Folks that jump ship would do so once a better option exists.
Folks who don't care will be in many places at once ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Can you tell me how real companys can make money of fully opensource software?
The code may be open and easily available. The expertise is not. As an example: at Jolla, we have many of the original authors of QML & Qt Quick on board, and I can say first hand that they have been an incredible asset to us when we ran into problems. The expertise I have around Qt (& Nemo) is also one of the reasons why I'm working at Jolla now.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
I got the idea that Nemo is kind of considered an experimental field for introducing new ideas, while Sailfish isn't. However this goes somewhat beyond just the UI itself. There are a number of key applications (ranging from e-mail cleint and browser to IM client and etc.) which can be considered a requirement for any usable modern OS. I'd rather prefer to see some synergy in these (between Nemo and Sailfish), and of course them being fully open. But so far it's not the case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
there is synergy, as in same middleware used

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
So you are saying that the only difference is just what UI is exposed?

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
So you are saying that the only difference is just what UI is exposed?
Not always, but generally that is (or can be) the case, yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
P.S. early on in the Jolla work, before we actually had Silica at product-ready level, we worked on the Nemo applications to test the middleware we were working on and enable features. That didn't persist after we started moving on to working on our UI though. So generally, the Nemo applications are just very bare-bones, unpolished UIs on top of the same code powering Sailfish.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
In practice this however gives a mixed message to any potential user. They either are offered a bare-bones (often insufficient) experience of an open community backed Nemo, or they are offered a friendly experience of the closed UI of the Sailfish. It sounds like (un?)intentional promotion of the closed components in general. Since in the end, it's the functional user experience that will make it or break it for adoption of any kind of system.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-06 at 18:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
mmm bare-bones...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...