Active Topics

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by grutch View Post
What is swapiness and how do I fix this slow, machine - phone rings and screen freezes and misses calls; tap to exit and enter app and nope. Won't go. I would pay for a fix.
Could you send me list of installed applications by running following command in xterminal.
maemo-list-user-packages >list.txt
It executes maemo-list... command and outputs text to filename of list.txt.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I do have a few widgets on the desktop - FB, weather, gmail.
I will ditch them and see but what can i do?
Does it do it after a new reboot (and pull battery)?

If it does, you have a different problem. Also, OC did quite a lot for me, you should consider upping to an 800 or 900 MHz, that alleviates the unresponsive phone UI thing.

If you are willing to take a risk (might be time for a reflash if you scr* it up), then take my path:

* Install Titan's power kernel
* kernel-config load ideal (as root)
* kernel-config limits 250 900 (as root)
* swappiness > 10 *see above for command line)

This alleviated much of my issue, up to a point where (if I keep up with my 48-hour reboots) I don't get ANY dropped call/missed call due to stuttering.

Also, if you want to fix the audio stuttering there's a patched pulseaudio in this forum. It has its own drawbacks, like the ringtones randomly reverting to default (Rings like Nokia Tune for no apparent reason).

If you are willing to take that, then PulseAudio fixes that annoying stuttering when picking up calls and while playing audio.

There are partial fixes all around you. Give theose a try and we'll see from there. I have other suggestions.

Right now I run with Kernel, OC, PulseAudio and swap, plus a few slight mods that help me get by, like relocating stuff to my faster external card.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

For the first incoming call, every day my phone misses atleast first 10 rings of the incoming call and it is extermely slow as well till I reboot. After rebooting it works perfectly fine till the next day
Had been debugging this from past few days and uninstalled quite a number of apps. Still no resolution.

Only observation which looks promising is that multiple processes of "../browserd -n RTComMessagingServer..." consume a total of more than 70% memory. Can somebody please let me know what this process is for, why it consumes so much memory even when the phone is idle and which application launches it?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by AJ1 View Post
For the first incoming call, every day my phone misses atleast first 10 rings of the incoming call and it is extermely slow as well till I reboot. After rebooting it works perfectly fine till the next day
Had been debugging this from past few days and uninstalled quite a number of apps. Still no resolution.

Only observation which looks promising is that multiple processes of "../browserd -n RTComMessagingServer..." consume a total of more than 70% memory. Can somebody please let me know what this process is for, why it consumes so much memory even when the phone is idle and which application launches it?
You must have installed some extra-devel packages related to customized ringtone or recording things like recaller.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
You must have installed some extra-devel packages related to customized ringtone or recording things like recaller.
No cutomized ringtone but "recaller" yes, and it was the first thing I uninstalled once I encountered the ringing problem, now my doubt is that it is plain memory-hogging which delays everything including the rings.

I only have one browserd ... RTComMessagingServer, using 6M RSS

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
I am a new n900 owner less than one week. I ditched my iphone because of dropped calls. I am suffering from a very slow, unresponsive device almost identical to the original post.

Help?
I do have a few widgets on the desktop - FB, weather, gmail.
I will ditch them and see but what can i do?
What is swapiness and how do I fix this slow, machine - phone rings and screen freezes and misses calls; tap to exit and enter app and nope. Won't go. I would pay for a fix.
Removing the Facebook widget definitely made my N900 more responsive. Not super sonic, but better.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
I only have one browserd ... RTComMessagingServer, using 6M RSS
I have 7 and each taking 10.8% memory (in idle state). Any idea what this process is for, how can I know which app is launching it?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
No cutomized ringtone but "recaller" yes, and it was the first thing I uninstalled once I encountered the ringing problem, now my doubt is that it is plain memory-hogging which delays everything including the rings.
No problems here.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Uninstall might not cleanup the problem that caused by some problematic package. I've seen the posts related to this problem before here, but I forgot how they fixed it. Most likely was reflash.

Good luck.

Tags
you're a mess