Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Man, what a tiring bunch of alarmists and grandstanders we are.

Now that we've all had a chance to make our points using the most inflamatory rhetoric we could muster, I can only hope that we've collectively got it out of our systems and we can all settle down and behave like the intelligent, educated, level headed group that we are most of the time...

I mean, none of us are trolls or the type that yell at store clerks, and I respect everyone who posted in this thread (both here and on the list), yet, the general posting style of this thread... wow...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh Reggie, could you turn on the threaded discussion feature? The "flatness" of the discussion threads on TMO has always been one of my biggest annoyances.
How does a threaded forum deal with the volume of posts and "New Posts [in subcribed fora]" feature that most people use?

CrashandDie's already mentioned something which sounds familiar to me: you get an email notification of a new post in your email, open it up and there's then at least 10 other replies. At least they show sequentially so I can work through them (even if it did take longer than I was originally intending to allocate to reading tmo!).

If threads were threaded, wouldn't new posts be appearing anywhere? I don't think vBulletin has the tools of a good mail client to make threads work (of course, it could be an option).

Perhaps encouaraging good quoting is enough? Certainly there can't be any doubt as to whom in the thread I'm replying to, and you could even work out the full thread structure by going off the quotes.

(An earlier comment from Texratpenguinbait suggested he doesn't know how to quote on mailing lists; but the short answer is: exactly as everyone does on tmo!)

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-01-17 at 08:49. Reason: s/Texrat/penguinbait/

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
(An earlier comment from Texrat suggested he doesn't know how to quote on mailing lists; but the short answer is: exactly as everyone does on tmo!)
That's not what I said... not sure how you derived that...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's not what I said... not sure how you derived that...
Apologies, it was penguinbait on maemo-community:

Originally Posted by On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 20:55, penguinbait <xxx@penguinbait.com> wrote:
Maybe my aversion to mailing lists is because I never no where I am suppose to put my comments...

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-01-17 at 09:35.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Peguinbait might prefer it if you remove his email address there.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Too late-- spambots already harvesting I'm sure!

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Peguinbait might prefer it if you remove his email address there.
<off-topic>Meh. It's posted to a publicy archived mailing list; and a dictionary attack against *@penguinbait.com seems more likely to succeed anyway.

If you want to have an email-based Internet presence, you need spam-filters; not obscurity.</off-topic>

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
It can definitely be confusing as to who said what where, when we have the same discussions happening in multiple locations.

Although maybe you were thinking of this post by Texrat...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...696#post474696
And at least here I don't get flamed for "top quoting"
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I'm really concerned about the strong schisms I'm seeing lately on numerous important subjects. Stark polemics are forming or solidifying. We're starting to look like a microcosm of the US political landscape. Black and white. Us and them. I hope it's just my perception and not a sign of anything real.
We need mandated weekly group hugs.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I think this continues to point back to our legacy of once being maemo.org and internettablettalk.com. We've shoved the two together but still have yet to integrate the populations.

So maybe the solution is just time, patience and a lot more listening to various viewpoints with due consideration. And more physical encounters like the Summit and Barcelona event (but smaller).

"Everybody's just got to keep ****ing everybody till we're all the same color." -- Jay Billington Bulworth (Bulworth)

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Tags
communication, community, community = together, fragmentation, how can we be lovers, mailing lists, polarization, when we can't be friends?