Notices

Mine was actually updated from the ovi store, which is odd since I have the mozilla catalog and got 1.0 from there.

Definitely remove the old fennec directory from ~/.mozilla. That helped speed a bit.

My experiences are the same as most here. Starts up slow, but I don't care about that. It's the jagged scrolling that I hate. When a page is loading, you can't do much but just wait. It's not bad on a small page (talk maemo for example), but a large page will just cripple fennec. While microb stays silky smooth at all times. Fennec does have an awesome interface though, and there are so many little things I love about it. They just need to get the scrolling down.

Check out that fastest scrolling in the west add on.

Once the page is loaded, it's not that bad. Maybe microb just has spoiled us. Fennec does seem to render a bit faster too. Going to give it a fair shot this time. Maybe I will get used to it.

does anyone know how to chnge text size on FF 1.1? That is, to be able to enlarge an area of a web page containing text, and then have the browser reflow so that the text "wraps" (at it's newly enlarged size) rather than me having to "pan & scan"? On Desktop FF you can do this by hitting CTRL+ or CTRL- to adjust.

I tried installing the "easy reading" addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/addon/157099/ - which (I think) claims to provide reflow - but it
doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I've misunderstood its purpose, or maybe it's just not quite working yet?

The FF UI is so much better than MicroB that I'd happily live with the speed/scrolling compromise if only I could have something akin to the font size adjustment that MicroB offers. Without that, sufficien websites I frequently visit are designed such that they're impossible to read comfortably without zooming and pan & scan, which is too much like hard work.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by DonPIZI View Post
Hi,
both I have now set to false and for example http://www.flashearth.com don't work.
Flashearth is a very heavy site that strains even a decent desktop computer or laptop. It will play Youtube and other reasonable flash content fine if you have wifi or a decent 3G connection.

Don't expect the N900 or any other pocket-size device to be able to play stuff like Flashearth or Hulu. You'll have to wait for phones with dual-core processors and 1G+ RAM for that kind of capability. Those are a year, maybe 2 years away.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Düsseldorf
MicroB shows this site really good...

I am able to use Flashearth on FF 1.1 quite well actually. It works better on microB though because it requires disabling the cursor if you want to move around.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I use tabs heavily when browsing, i see something interesting and ctrl click and carry on reading whit it loads in the background so for me the speed of loading isn't as important as the ui. i think that with the way i browse firefox is already much faster. The way i check my notifications in facebook, for example - i'll ctrl click each one and then check out the tabs. much quicker than clicking one, pressing back waiting for the page to reload, click the next, etc...

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
I am able to use Flashearth on FF 1.1 quite well actually. It works better on microB though because it requires disabling the cursor if you want to move around.
Well, I can use it with either one too, but it's a little clumsy and I can't really consider it fast enough to be truly useful, even on wifi. Just not enough horsepower yet. Maybe you have more patience than I do.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Does anyone know how to disable the portrait mode in fennec?

I disable the accelerometer in about:config, but still rotates. Even rebooted

There has to be a way. Thanks.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
toolkit.screen.lock
entry in about:config
should do it

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=557642

But in my case it didn't work...

You can also try Ctrl+Shift+O.

They should just get rid of it once and for all...it's so ******ed and slow compare to MicroB. It wasted a lot of my time updating different versions...and every one of them failed in speed.

Tags
fennec, firefox