Notices

I would also like to contribute to this (I did not read the whole 134 pages, so this may already have been mentioned).

I live in Finland, a small town called Lumijoki, to be exact. I tested Sygic MM9 (the one in Ovi store), and was very disappointed with it. I tried several familiar addresses around this area (in a range from about a couple of kilometers to a hundred kilometers). Trying to navigate to an address (Navigate to... -> Address) most of the time fails, because the cities are somehow mixed. The streets are placed to wrong cities, or the cities themselves are placed inside other cities - for example: "Lumijoki (Liminka)". Liminka is the town right next to Lumijoki. This makes it very hard to find any destinations, because you would have to know every city around your target city and try to guess where the target street is placed.

If I try to navigate to my home address, the street is not found in my hometown. Actually there is only one street in my hometown, according to MM9, which is the E8, quite a big "interstate". But... if I try to navigate using a zip code, everything works perfectly. I can find my home street, which is good. Except that MM9 seems to think that my home street is located in an another neighbor town (Siikajoki). It will navigate to my home all right, but irritating still.

So, I would need to always know the zip code of the target to navigate reliably. Which can be hard if you are trying to navigate to some rented summer cottage, for example.

I realize this may also be a map problem (I was testing Multimaps Nordic), but nevertheless, the user experience on my testing was terrible because of this. I'm just glad it was a free trial.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Antipodes
Well at least there is a map for Finland! Australia doesn't exist yet........

What's up with Mobile Maps 10 ? Coming "soon" ? :x

Originally Posted by SygicSupport View Post
Hi,

yes, Mobile Maps 10 for Maemo will be available in this century, or in the next century at latest

We had first versions of the app ready back in April, but we did not want to make the app available for new customers before we can roll it out to existing customers. Updating existing customers to the new version is a complex task on the licensing side of it.

Plus, we also work with Nokia on simplifying the purchase experience. Currently, application and map file are separated in Ovi Store, which is confusing. Also, there are 2 different versions of the app available making life for customers not easier.

Actual timing of the update of existing customers to the new version can proceed when all of the above mentioned areas are covered and done. Bear with us, we work on the update with high priority.

Thank you.

Sygic Support.
Thank you for your reply. But you should keep into consideration that there are new potential buyers (one of them it's me) who don't have version 9 and are waiting for version 10, because i woul really be nonsense to buy version 9 now when version 10 is available to all the other OS.
Further I will buy it from your site and not from OVI.

Last edited by Patroclo; 2010-07-03 at 17:02.

So uh, when's that update coming? I like to check in every month and see where we're at. Apparently no news yet.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
So far I am not at all happy with this product.

- My office is in Berkeley, California and Sygic puts the address in Oakland (both Alameda County).

- Driving up Highway 101 through Marin County to Healdsburg two weeks ago, Sygic continually tried to take me off of the Highway (changing from Fastest to Shortest and vice versa didn't change matters) and positioning continually put me on parallel roads next to the highway or roads even farther out (changing APS from on to of and vice versa did not change matters).

- Yesterday, driving from LAX Airport to first Carson, CA, and then to Costa Mesa, CA I encountered the exact same problems as the situation above. AND, on several occasions, Sygic gave me an error or "Unable to plan a route" or some wording to that effect.

I had been using my Palm Treo with TomTom Navigator 6 installed as a backup the last month but consciously decided to leave it at home for this business trip. Beginning to regret that.

Does anyone know where I can send feedback?
Sygic Support has contacted me and appear to be trying to resolve the issues above, I would assume, for Mobile Maps 10. I'll post with additional news when I have some.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
I have noticed one error as well which is very prevalent in Sygic when using it in the US.

In the lower right corner of the screen it displays the county I am currently travelling through, such as Johnston and Wake when I travel from home to my office in North Carolina.

Same has been true on my travels through over 20 other states. I´ve always thought that this had to be a mistake and that they´d really meant to place cities / towns there as displaying the County is of use to no-one and my hunch seems to be correct, from what I´ve seen on my travels in Denmark and Iceland where the cities are displayed instead of the county equivalents.

So instead of displaying Johnston and Wake in NC for example the lower right corner should display Clayton, Knightdale and Raleigh as I move toward work every morning.

If sygic wants to contact me then they can do so at my username @gmail.com I´ll be happy to provide further examples and some corrections to street/city data in Sygic maps.

For example the street I work on is displayed as the only street in the city of "Wake" North Carolina. Wake however doesn´t exist as a city, as it is a county, and the street Falls of Neuse Road really belongs in the city of Raleigh.

Other such examples are multiple, especially in downtown Atlanta, GA where I noticed all my hotel addresses downtown, as well as the airport being listed under the city of Fulton (which is a county not a city) instead of Atlanta.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Hi all,
just my experience: I upgraded to version 10 but I think this version is terrific! I wrote to the Sygic support my notes but didn't receive any answer yet, following are the issues I suffer:
1) the new scrolling interface is quite unusable because it's very slow and there are cases when you try to click an icon but the event goes to another one;
2) the CPU is always pushed at 100% (no OC, power-kernel 37 as used in prev MM 9 version) and it drains the battery in about 1,5 hours which is unacceptable while long driving;
3) several program crashes while driving (had to restart it while driving on highway because had to know where to exit in the next 2Km!);
4) GPS signal lost while in open space (outside cities, no buildings around), I had to close and restart the application to have the signal back;
5) I can't manage to write correctly contacts' addresses (using the standard contacts manager application), there is no way to use the "drive to contact address" function;
I didn't install new applications which could interfere with MM10 before or after the upgrade and don't use extras-devel repositories (system version PR1.2).
I wonder if I could reinstall the version 9 but use the new Map files to have at least them up to date.
I think Sygic should provide some patches because this version in quite unusable, while the previous was very good and saved me in lots of cases
Thank you very much, bye.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Poland
Well, let's face it. Sygic probably gets all the major of their income from the iphone app. That's where all the development is directed and it's the iphone app that is being updated in the first place. Sad but true...

Maemo is a dead-end, it's a good OS thought, but it's finished.
Sadly, this is what happens when the OS is no longer in the mainstream, well Maemo actually never had been there...

Great, powerful hardware and no interest from the major mobile development companies whatsoever.

Won't sell it though, there is no replacement that's on the market right now

Last edited by stantheboss; 2010-09-03 at 12:06.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
It's not an excuse for me, I would prefer for sure having free Maps data updates, not necessary the whole software (for which I paid for).
I have nothing against Sygic but it's not a good policy to release software without testing (and the problems I have are symptoms of very poor testing IMHO).
Furthermore nobody obliged them to port MobileMaps to the N900. They thought to do business with it (and I hope they did) but if I pay for it, I don't want marketing, I want good software.
Bye

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn