Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
SGI, Novell, Nokia.

R.I.P.

Note: to understand why Nokia is in this list right now http://developers.slashdot.org/comme...ellent /. post.
and SCO.

Years later people would still recognize their name but dont' freaking know what they do for living.

MeeGo development was slow.

Nokia feared that by the time they luanch N9-01, it will stay behind the competition, so they decided to tie up Microsoft to give a stiff competition to Andioid and iOS.

But now that they feel, they made a place in market by using WM7, they still can continue their intense research on MeeGo and give it a try and use both OS on their high end devices, diversify their devices with varieties of OS.

It will be benifical for the company. But still i see less hope of MeeGo

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
Who gave you my consumer feedback? On what basis are you judging?

I can't switch on to other brands because no other company provides the kind of hardware and customer support like Nokia
Say what? Nokia's customer support quality means you cannot switch to others? LOL. Where are you located in the world?

My last interaction with Nokia's customer service was to get a new backcover for a N900 after the lens cover came apart (production error I assume). To go through such simple motions only took 4 calls, roughly 20 mins each and 43 calendar days! During warranty period btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Android is a new smartphone OS.
Your classification is not correct - there are tablets with Android.

Android is no match for Maemo / MeeGo.
Are you sure? Both have the same Linux kernel, I even can run internet application on Android from Maemo. And now - run Android application on Maemo.

I have no option but go for windows.

Sure they did bad by killing MeeGo. But I can't whine about what nokia did, but to take the positive out of WM7
It is up to you, but returning to original subject - Maemo/MeeGo is a derivation of Linux as is as Android which has much more success than WM on mobile market.

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Say what? Nokia's customer support quality means you cannot switch to others? LOL. Where are you located in the world?

My last interaction with Nokia's customer service was to get a new backcover for a N900 after the lens cover came apart (production error I assume). To go through such simple motions only took 4 calls, roughly 20 mins each and 43 calendar days! During warranty period btw.
I know a lot of friends who switched from Nokia to Samsung because of Android. Android is more advanced platform than Symbian. But compared to MeeGo, its no match,

Samsung or HTC mobile cameras are no compared to Nokia's Carl Zesis. The my friends have always complained about the poor customer support provided by Samsung. Thats why its hard to switch from Nokia.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Are you sure? Both have the same Linux kernel, I even can run internet application on Android from Maemo. And now - run Android application on Maemo.
Only via a proprietary solution.

It is up to you, but returning to original subject - Maemo/MeeGo is a derivation of Linux as is as Android which has much more success than WM on mobile market.
Maemo/MeeGo derives its systems from a far more diverse open source base than Android, which is almost entirely internal to Google. They are very different beasts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Your classification is not correct - there are tablets with Android.

If I am not wrong Meamo / MeeGo is almost 10 yr old OS designed for PCs and tablets and now with smartphone. It is a matured OS compared to Android.

You won't see any any Android device which is not having a CPU less than 1Ghz. With such a fast processor any OS will work fine. But look at N900 even at 600 Maemo works smoothly, Maemo / MeeGo utilizes the hardware more efficiently compared to Android

Nokia feared that by the time they luanch N9-01, it will stay behind the competition, so they decided to tie up Microsoft to give a stiff competition to Andioid and iOS.

It will be benifical for the company.
No. It is now the fight between M$ and Google and Apple. Nokia now is out of picture - it is outsider on OS battlefield. It can still do innovations in codec quality, signal receiption but video call or TV tuner or even KBD layout should be negotiated with M$.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Only via a proprietary solution.
It is not a metter of licensing or whatever - that company is just working fast. There is no reason to have an open source solution,
BTW.

However, it doesn't do a difference to original statement - Android and Maemo are similar and Android succeess crushes any speaches that WM is more suitable for sucess on mobile market.

Maemo/MeeGo derives its systems from a far more diverse open source base than Android, which is almost entirely internal to Google. They are very different beasts.
Yes, but again - it says nothing to thesis that WM should be more successful on market than Maemo.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
MeeGo development was slow.

Why should a hardware only producer, as Nokia has now become, care about competition of OS's?

Isn't that like a food manufacturer deciding to throw away their brand and only sell their products as a generic store brand at a single grocery store, say WalMart, in an effort to beat FoodLion and Target?

Doesn't make sense.

Last edited by olighak; 2011-02-14 at 06:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org