Active Topics

Speedmartini and others: Please do keep us all posted on what works!
I have a camera and was thinking to add a external drive at times of need.
Also have some children and a young nephew that are into robotics so n800 as a plug in test brain sounds good too.
What else anyone?

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
I ordered 2 of these on Feb 16th. Not yet received :-( Eagerly waiting for them to arrive.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
An update for those of you who have ordered but have not received yet: Any order placed before the 19th of Feb. was sent out using Standard Mail service, and it seems that this is rather hit and miss when it comes to delivering from Canada to the US. Some people have received their items within a few days, while others have been waiting more than two weeks. Please give these orders up to two weeks to arrive; if at that point they are not there then reply to the confirmation email from the website and we'll get things sorted out. All orders after the 19th of Feb. have been shipped using Air Mail, which hopefully will alleviate the problem. Local (Canadian) and International orders don't seem to have this problem, it's only into the US.

speedmartini, that seems a bit strange, the camera especially. It reads my Nikon D80 no problems, but I will give it a shot on my old CF-based Coolpix to see if that works as well. (Ironically I used to have access to two Coolpix 2100s, but both have been lost by their owners in the last two months!). The hard drive might be an upper file-system size limitation, though I doubt it as others have said HDs work well. If you have access to any other type of Linux system you might want to check both devices to make sure they work there; failing that the best thing to do is check the dmesg output and see what it says when you plug them in:
make sure you have gainroot installed properly (or ssh)
open xterm
sudo gainroot
plug device in
dmesg

The last few lines should talk about usb. Also, this discussion might be better off over in the N800 Host Mode thread rather than here...

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Just like to note that my dongle arrived in Australia last week. Haven't tried it yet, 2008 update coming soon...

Hoping to see mine in the next few days. I know Canookia Post can be an adventure on their finest of days...so, I'm always patient when stuff ships from Canookia.

I received my shipping notice on 2/13 so it won't be long now...no worries it will arrive, eventually...hehehehehe...

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I received my usb dongle. It took about 8 days to ship. It works great. I have connected to my Kodak EasyShare DX 7630 camera and my Cowon A2 Personal Media Player. I'm happy it works with my Cowon because I had a bunch of music I wanted to transfer over.

Last edited by NomadHarris; 2008-02-25 at 02:06. Reason: Spelling Errors

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
open xterm
sudo gainroot
plug device in
dmesg
Don't think you need root to dmesg, it works fine on mine...

Anyway, mine got here, works nice. The plier-marks from opening and reclosing look like they were made with serrated-jaw pliers, maybe? They'd look nicer if you used smooth-jaw pliers. Still, the soldering's done nicely, and it works like a charm.

I only have one real complaint -- You Canadian Dummkopf, my OTG sticker's upside down!! (When it's inserted in the tablet.)
Oughtta watch which way you put them on, eh.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I only have one real complaint -- You Canadian Dummkopf, my OTG sticker's upside down!! (When it's inserted in the tablet.)
lol yea about that... see I took over the soldering and had somebody else doing the labels; well, they were very careful to be consistent, but correct?... not so much. Anyways I noticed after they'd done the first batch, so all the latest ones are the CORRECT way around ;o)

Also sorry about the plier marks, but I'm glad that things are working properly and people are having so much success with various devices. I've gone out and gotten myself some fresh tools and rethought my technique a bit, so hopefully the next batch will be extremely clean looking (and have the labels on the correct way!).

By the way guys, is there any other specific USB or tablet related equipment that anyone might be after? I've got some SDHC cards comming in that I'm going to start offering along side the adapters to try and make the shipping costs a bit more worth while, but I've been looking into USB wired ethernet adapters, etc. Any thoughts? I know the majority of people are simply looking to hook up existing equipment so not sure...

Thanks,
-Rob

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
lol yea about that... see I took over the soldering and had somebody else doing the labels; well, they were very careful to be consistent, but correct?... not so much. Anyways I noticed after they'd done the first batch, so all the latest ones are the CORRECT way around ;o)
Not worried, I'm probably gonna peel the label off anyway, as I don't have any similar adapters to confuse it with; going for the no-label ninja look.
By the way guys, is there any other specific USB or tablet related equipment that anyone might be after? I've got some SDHC cards comming in that I'm going to start offering along side the adapters to try and make the shipping costs a bit more worth while, but I've been looking into USB wired ethernet adapters, etc. Any thoughts? I know the majority of people are simply looking to hook up existing equipment so not sure...

Thanks,
-Rob
USB 10/100baseT would be great, as it stands I'm probably looking at buying such now. (This one is claimed to definitely work, but I'm gonna scour threads before I pick one...) You might try modding something like that by ripping off the A male connector and replacing with an OTG-ified micro-B male connector, that'd be worth money (to me, at least).

Maybe a powered/battery powered hub (especially modded to possess a mini-B pigtail for direct connection), but I think there's enough variety in which one is right for each person, that you might not get many takers on any particular model you might settle on.

I think a OTG dongle with added power jack (due differences in power outlets not really sure if adding a powerbrick itself would be feasible to hanble) would be very nice. so you can hook up a USB hdd without using a powered hub. Aldo I doubt it's doable in a dongle style solution..