Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by volt View Post

I believe this is the end of Elops reign at that. He's been hired to do a job, he tried to do the job, the result was horrible. Can't see they'll bother to find "new tasks" for him now.
That's extremly optimistic view on Nokia's board of directors. That would require them to have at least an inkling of common sense. We have a vast amount of emperical evidence pointing to Nokia's board being composed of inviduals who can at best (and diplomaticly) be described as neurosyphilitic.

These people will let Elop run the show all the way to it's boringly bitter end. It's the finnish way of dealing with problems. Better to stay quiet than to make a number of one self and everyone else uncomfortable along with it.

Words are silver, silence is golden.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia couldn't come to terms for the price; whereas nobody will ever buy out Nokia in earnest due to their present predicament mainly due to Elop's singular focus on Windows Phone.

So what's left? Memories. Too late for them to turn things around. Android will make them a "me-too" company up against a better marketing company such as Samsung. Google might be the only people that might buy them - but they bought Motorola and that's left them a bit bitter with no real product yet from that purchase.

HTC is in dire need of a helping hand, but even they wouldn't buy Nokia. I'm quite the above will be met with the standard "it's speculation" - because it is, so feel free to apply it here - but Nokia is in a bad place right now and the lacking sales of WP7, WP8 and Windows 8 has them bent over with no real direction to go.

No Plan B really did a number on them.

I think MS wants to buy them to ensure no one else buys them. Nokia is the only decent manufacturer out there for WP. I am not as pessimistic as you are about Nokia. They were never a software company and just couldn't hack it with the big boys. MS is the best they will get as a partner.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
It might happen after all. It might be closer than we think.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
let the microsoft buy nokia. i know another small startup who would win on that atleast in finland lol

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
That's extremly optimistic view on Nokia's board of directors. That would require them to have at least an inkling of common sense.[/URL]

(...)

These people will let Elop run the show all the way to it's boringly bitter end.
I'm not one who is ever extremely optimistic, and not this time either. Nokia is clearly running towards bust. But one thing is clear in the world of competition: nobody ever got to be on the board of a company like Nokia, or even the useless and dumb CEO of a company like Nokia, by doing Nothing.

The only scenario where someone like Elop gets to stay on the CEO chair is the scenario where the board has a use for him. That's just a simple fact.

I believe that the boards use for the north american Microsoft-connected CEO has expired. We'll see.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I'm not one who is ever extremely optimistic, and not this time either. Nokia is clearly running towards bust. But one thing is clear in the world of competition: nobody ever got to be on the board of a company like Nokia, or even the useless and dumb CEO of a company like Nokia, by doing Nothing.

The only scenario where someone like Elop gets to stay on the CEO chair is the scenario where the board has a use for him. That's just a simple fact.

I believe that the boards use for the north american Microsoft-connected CEO has expired. We'll see.
Nokia is dead.

Microsoft or Huawei will buy Nokia > Q4 2013.

The fight will stand between Huawei and Microsoft, and if Huawei they dish WP and add SailfishOS

So I am not sure Elop is over yet. If Huwaei gives better price Microsoft will pay more for Nokia. Microsoft desperatly needs Nokia. Nokia has alot of good HW engineers. Selling those to china would hurt USA/Europe even more.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Microsoft desperatly needs Nokia.
I agree, every other manufacturer has realised they're flogging a dead horse with Windows Phone.

Huawei's representative was absolutely right, Windows Phone is 'weak' and requires a license fee, an unappealing combination.

With Tizen, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Touch all about to enter the arena Window's Phone 3% market share is going to come under even more pressure. No NOKIA no Windows Phone, it's now as clear cut as that. Microsoft just can't afford to lose NOKIA.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Huawei's representative was absolutely right, Windows Phone is 'weak' and requires a license fee, an unappealing combination.

With Tizen, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Touch all about to enter the arena Window's Phone 3% market share is going to come under even more pressure. No NOKIA no Windows Phone, it's now as clear cut as that. Microsoft just can't afford to lose NOKIA.
I think tizen, FF etc. compete with Android mostly. People who purchase WP phones aren't generally interested in stuff those OS's bring to table anyway. Besides, calling WP "weak" is too much of a simplification (market share is crappy, but from techical pov It's probably the best MS SW product I've seen). Huawei's representatives wording sounds to me like they are just b*** hurt for who knows what reason.

Interesting news lately about shareholder meeting and report that MS agreement with Nokia is until 2016:

http://m.wpcentral.com/nokia-board-d...d-finland-sale

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...Elop should be 'eloping' (good nature, i looove that word, how fitting!) with Ballmer right now and come back with a new, shiny, golden ring, engraved with 'In eternal love, Stevie.'

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-06-22 at 16:40.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha