Active Topics

"The source said the UI was much better than previous devices and it's a shame they will never come to market.
The tipster stressed that the planned flagship product was one of the best they'd seen."
why? why???

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/7..._products.html

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by gruik View Post
"The source said the UI was much better than previous devices and it's a shame they will never come to market.
The tipster stressed that the planned flagship product was one of the best they'd seen."
why? why???
Why? Because M$ was scared to death of the potential of MeeGo/Qt and was determined to spend or do whatever it took to put a stop to it.

To M$ Linux will always be a disease that must be eradicated.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by nocain View Post
I still don't see why anyone but a die hard nokia fan would buy a symbian device given that it is to be abandoned.
You got it backward.

I bet a big chunk of Nokia 'fanbase' are those who are loyal to the Nokia brand but couldn't care less of what OS it's running.

They like Nokia's design, build quality, interface.

That's why Nokia is king in candybar and featurephones, where 'smartphone' features are less of a priority. That's why they're seeing their smartphone marketshare is quickly decreasing.

And I bet they're also seeing a huge shift in price/cost/consumer preference from basic phones to smartphones (at varying price point), thus the exodus to WP7.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by lma View Post
5+ going on 6. The project opened its doors on May 2005 and devices started selling in November 2005.
I appreciate the correction.

What on earth does "market's interest" mean? But yes, the FOSS community has absolutely furthered the content and capability of Maemo devices.
It means creating something sellable.

The FOSS community isn't responsible for vendors' marketing.
That is correct. But the FOSS community has a very big impact on the NIT series. At the very least, it has more access/control/contrib over the project compared to other closed/proprietary platforms.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by redman View Post
I just read an article on a Dutch newssite that Windows won't allow open-source software in their app store for Windows Phone 7 (Dutch article: http://webwereld.nl/nieuws/105763/op...s-phone-7.html).
Nicht verboten... just GPLv3 - read this auf Englisch to explain more.

Edit: Upon reading that again, it seems like they are heavily going after what we'd call open source indeed. Damn that's a bad move.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Windows doesn't run on anything. It just waddles at best.
Power walk perhaps?

If I didn't need 3D Studio Max (Windows only), Photoshop (I use it on OS X too), After Effects (OS X also) I'd drop Windows fully. Can't do that yet though. Yet to move to Maya fully, or Modo, Flash CS5 is faster on Windows than Mac and there's no Adobe Flex/Flash Builder with debugging on Linux.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Edit: Upon reading that again, it seems like they are heavily going after what we'd call open source indeed. Damn that's a bad move.
Indeed.. not only GPLv3, also v2:

... as well as any others that force coders to include the license with a distribution of the product ...
And that means a ban on open/free software

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
maybe nokia would give us access to the closed source coded areas of our n900. a parting gift if you will. we can be elops open source ecosystem. his dirty little secret from M$.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It means creating something sellable.
Well, Nokia always said that sales were greatly exceeding their expectations. Apparently they never intended these devices to be commercially successful, but people bought them and loved them anyway.

That is correct. But the FOSS community has a very big impact on the NIT series. At the very least, it has more access/control/contrib over the project compared to other closed/proprietary platforms.
In theory maybe, in practice you need a willing upstream in order to contribute effectively. Patches getting ignored or, if you're lucky, getting accepted but only for the next device doesn't exactly encourage participation.

Still, we now have CSSUs for 4 out of 5 Maemo devices so if you want to scratch an itch on an open component you can :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Don't make me link to that damn video again. It shows Windows 7, you know the desktop variety, recompiled to run on ARM.
That's fine and all, but what apps are there for it? Is Office running on ARM? Any third-party apps? If not, having Windows there is not very relevant to anything.

I think this is what the OP was saying. Linux on ARM has nearly the same set of apps that Linux on x86 has, except for the commercial stuff which is only a small part of the set that most people use. It is the opposite in Windows land.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org