Active Topics

Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
on april 9th I m buying the lumia 900 regardless of what you fools say. its got to be better than n9, with a bigger screen, battery, faster processor and network. the only thing it doesn't have is Qt and Linux.
A bigger screen with lower resolution. Sounds awesome, tough guy.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Maserti View Post
people keep saying apollo this apollo that,but really what difference its going to make.sony was bold enough to say noone cares about wp7.N9 is supposed to be the qt hero,it needs to get the cape and save Nokia
> The problem with WP7 is that it is too complex to understand, i went to the Phone shop have a look because it uses the same design as N9 which i enjoy, It took me sometimes to realize that to get to the menu, I must press the Small Little Arrow at the top of the screen-- Normal people would have left the phone for another, Plus, people don't like these Tiles, and that fact you cannot turn them off or remove them completely, and this is what i don't like about WP7, they write the specs for the phones, and demand AMOLED screens, what i have a hard time understanding is why, do you get such an amazing screen and put plan monochrome colours on it (Tiles, and menus) , this pushes people away, Lets hope someone from WP7 department reads this, and changes a few things about it.

After i used WP7 i was very disappointed, because i wanted to compromise having a nice design, Nokia Lumia 800 -- and not so nice Os, but the Os is hard... it's not very nice and appealing (For me).

Actually you can swipe around on the app and tile menu. Should be familiar way to navigate from N9. WP just have visual cue to do that, something N9 lacks.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
WP7 was launched in U.S. for more then 1 year before Nokia entered this platform. Yet it only managed less than 2% penetration. As for Nokia, its brand name in the U.S. is junk. It is associated with cheap flip phones that grandmas use. So where does your confidence that WP and Nokia will succeed in U.S. comes from? This is a marriage between a rejected os and a junk brand name.
I try not being so harsh on WP7 this is my opinion of what i think, People remember things, So, people remember that nokia has Good designs but bad UI's So they look at Lumia WP7 and everytime they see a windows phone being advertised, you see these 1 colour tiles. Ether red, Green, or Blue, and you thinking, Surely there is more to offer? I mean when you advertise something, you should something that is the best? But all you see is these tiles, and you remember the Past of Nokia, and the Problems of windows XP, the constant restarts, Bluescreen, error, then,
you see a samsung galaxy S2 next by and you see some Wind turbines spinning as a wallpapaer sunny, Lifelike, and you are like wow... and you see colour and detail, So which would you choose?

I feel sorry for Ms actually, they are trying, but they must try harder to show people,I think they need to spend time in and a large percentage of money on R&D, i was so excited about WP7, Because they keep saying it's different now, it's different now... But then.. my hopes crashed, i actually fell into a Mini-depresson but i was expecting so much, this super platform, I mean if i am paying so much for a smartphone, i atleast want it to wow me,

I don't like android, thus the reason Meego was appealing to me, but then, thought about Ms, and they failed to deliver.

Trying not to be a hater, so, For first time users, WP7 is good, it's simple, If you want something that has alot of eye candy, is snappy, and simple, WP7 is for you..

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
I disagree with you on this. Nokia could easily sell N9 in the U.S. which they refused. When U.S. residents are buying N9s from overseas without any warranty, with no carrier subsidy and no local warranty why does Nokia insist on shafting WP7 down U.S. consumers' throats?
They could sell N9 everywhere. That is not the issue. In Europe only enthusiasts got the N9. I'm sorry to say it, but enthusiasts have a hard life in NA, UK and a couple of other places due to the dark force called operators. Other places phones are freely available, and people can switch operators every day if they want to (dual SIM phones for instance). The result is that the N9 would sell in so small numbers, even among enthusiasts, that there is no point doing it.

Lumias have been on sale for some time now, together with the N9. I am sure out of 100 customers, only 1 chooses the N9 in favor of the Lumia 800. The N9 is dead commercially, and therefore Meego is dead. There are other things coming though.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
Trying not to be a hater, so, For first time users, WP7 is good, it's simple, If you want something that has alot of eye candy, is snappy, and simple, WP7 is for you..
WP, on the Lumias at least, is indeed snappy. It is perfectly fluent, fast and generally a very nice experience. The N9 is slow at times, dead slow, I have to wait several seconds sometimes for anything to happen.

MeeGo is dead Get used to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by specc View Post
WP, on the Lumias at least, is indeed snappy. It is perfectly fluent, fast and generally a very nice experience. The N9 is slow at times, dead slow, I have to wait several seconds sometimes for anything to happen.

A nice experience once you understand how to use it, Yes, Windows Phone uses a Hybrid Kernel, so that helps it alot, Plus the Lumia has a 1.4 GHZ processor, in comparasion to the 1GHZ of the N9.

My take on it is, if you like something Buy it, that is the whole point of buying things, to make you happy, As for me, if WP7 delivers then i may come to it -- As for mr Droid, i'm avoiding touching him.

Improvements i want to see in window phone, More colour, Greater usability, A menu grid rather than list, some places, the Eye candy can be toned down because it looks cheap, Like in the Hotmail, Like the text from the bottom does something like a loop, and comes to the top, it's OK, But i mean FOR ME, these little things makes me happy.

I think networks are punishing Microsoft-- Not sure why though... went to the shop,(A different one before) woman says, you can get the lumia, But have you seen the Ssmsung Galaxy S2

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-24 at 09:13.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Maemo/MeeGo is IMHO not dead, it just won't grow up anymore. It is a decent OS that can serve you well, but you have to live with the status quo.
But since on mobile phones you cannot expect many feature updates to a phone anyway, no matter which manufacturer, it doesn't matter at all. Just use the OS until your phone falls apart. Then, hopefully, something worth replacing MeeGo may have appeared, or it may have not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
went to the shop,(A different one before) woman says, you can get the lumia, But have you seen the Ssmsung Galaxy S2
This is a large part of the problem. Store staff are usually lazy and it's easy for them to simply sell the most popular phones so for instance the iphone4s and GalaxyS2 tend to be recommended regardless your wants and needs.

At the same time people are like sheep, as soon as one of those phones everyone is using is recommended, it sounds familier so they easily sold on its features, even if it may not be the ideal phone for their needs, this is quickly forgotten when the sales talk starts.

Personally I'm kind of the opposite, the more people try to push me to certain brands or models, the more I look to see what is it about that device that makes it so special, and if I'd be better served with that less hyped handset that has caught my eye at the other side of the store.

I've with a couple of exceptions, never owned the most popular handsets, yet I've always felt I've owned the best handsets for he features that are most important to me.

I don't really care if MeeGo is dead or not(apart from the shame we will not see future Meego devices), it's certainly alive and kicking in my N9 and there's very little more I could want from it just now, I'm happy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetlee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Maemo/MeeGo is IMHO not dead, it just won't grow up anymore. It is a decent OS that can serve you well, but you have to live with the status quo.
But since on mobile phones you cannot expect many feature updates to a phone anyway, no matter which manufacturer, it doesn't matter at all. Just use the OS until your phone falls apart. Then, hopefully, something worth replacing MeeGo may have appeared, or it may have not.
it is still a research project and we will very likely see a successor to the N9 with a OS2013 or so...

the fact is that Maemo / MeeGo (despite later's attention b/c of the Intel / NOKIA agreement) is for technically interested users
WP is for fan boys & girls
the masses go with ANDroid or iOS

if it hadn't been for Flop's harakiri, a lot more ppl (all the existing user base...) would have been interested a lot more in Symbian as well...
o well, no brain, no pain

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down