Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hell, didnt they get into a war of words with the patent holder for CDMA2000?

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Igor, you saying there'd be no substantial battery drain from the serial con if you put a pull-up/down on rx? (When not in use, of course.)
If the serial driver is in good shape.

Which might not be the case. The driver alternates between gpio mode and serial:
* after a timeout serial mode is disabled and gpio irq is used to detect activity on the RX line (this trashes the first bit - it would be possible to bitbang the whole first byte and then switch to serial mode, but that's not the case)
* when the irq is rised, the muxing is reverted back to serial mode

But this driver is not part of the deliverables for a stock kernel, so it doesn't get really tested.

The Following User Says Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by igor View Post
If the serial driver is in good shape.

Which might not be the case. The driver alternates between gpio mode and serial:
* after a timeout serial mode is disabled and gpio irq is used to detect activity on the RX line (this trashes the first bit - it would be possible to bitbang the whole first byte and then switch to serial mode, but that's not the case)
* when the irq is rised, the muxing is reverted back to serial mode

But this driver is not part of the deliverables for a stock kernel, so it doesn't get really tested.
Wow did not understand a word!!
Dont bother to explain..... just was surprised that i did not understand even one damn word of that!

I made some "x-ray" images from photos in the fcc documents to get a feel about how the n810 is constructed. Notice the large empty area on the right side of the picture above the battery. This is behind the plastic antenna cover. The wifi/bluetooth antenna is visible on the left side in the second picture. Also note the pads on the far right side, so theoretically they could just solder a wimax module in. I think that they would make a new board design for the wimax model. They probably could have included the FM radio or a full size sd card if they weren't saving space here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdrman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
hey Igor...

Just wanted to ask you an off-topic question. Will the video bandwidth issue be ultimately resolved as many people are complaining about the lack of good video support. You can ignore the post if you dont want to answer.

i know theres no simple answer, but Antilles do you have an idea of why the 800/810's OS's are so sluggish compared to the Touch's?

Cool, SDRman. Anyone have any clue what those pads are up in that corner? Is there something attaching on the front there?
(If that's some sorta data bus useful for connecting WiMAX, it could be useful for other things too. But I'm with you, a new PCB seems likely.)
I guess we'll know when (if) thoughtfix gets one.

If that space is really empty, there's uses even without that bus; run wires down to the USB port, with a switch to disconnect <whatever gadget you put there>. I don't think a typical 3G USB dongle would fit, but if you could cram it in...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No, it's not there. There's a lot more certification to be done with the FCC if there's a WiMAX radio in a device.

Hahaha . . . I like it. But, seriously, bandwidth issues aside, enabling the serial port requires using the Linux flasher tool, and it kills battery life.
so then has there been a second filing with the FCC that goes over the WiMax edition yet? or are they waiting till after tomorrow (april first)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
i know theres no simple answer, but Antilles do you have an idea of why the 800/810's OS's are so sluggish compared to the Touch's?
I can provide the basics (I'm sure GA can answer better though):

-general purpose, mostly-open computer vs more narrow-focused, tightly-controlled device

-Linux on a mobile device

-optimization choices

-hardware design choices

Ummmm.... Linux on a mobile device vs. BSD on a mobile device? I'm not sure that the kernel and other low-level stuff has any real performance difference.