Active Topics

A few years ago when I found out about Linux I was so thrilled and wanted the entire world to use it, because.. somehow I thought it would make things better. Isn't the same thing happening here? Maemo isn't getting any worse just because it's a small platform, nor would it improve much just because it got popular.

Keep repeating yourselves.

Trolling this intelligently dumb place is so damn easy...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The API was so well-documented that it's extended to stuff like Unity3D, Visual Studio .NET, and other IDE's - which accelerated adoption.

That last part is what's wrong with Qt imho. It's been around for ages; however I can't just open up TextMate or XCode or Visual Studio or Komodo ActiveState or Coda and start coding off the bat.
? Visual Studio, Eclipse and KDevelop had special Qt integration for ages. In fact, for a while, VS was *the* environment to work in if you did commercial desktop Qt apps. When Qt went LGPL, these got free too, but nowadays, QtCreator is really improving rapidly, my only complaint is that it doesn’t do Python

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/vs-add-in-1.0/index.html
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/vs-integration-1.4/index.html
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qt-eclipse-1.6/index.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Worst car analogy ever. It's not too late for an edit or delete.
Vorsprung durch technik

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Vorsprung durch technik
Google translate kinda failed me. Is it:

Lead by technology?

EDIT: Whoa, another daperl dense moment.

"advancement through technology"

Last edited by daperl; 2010-07-10 at 21:12.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Google translate kinda failed me. Is it:

Lead by technology?

EDIT: Whoa, another daperl dense moment.

"advancement through technology"
It was Audi's advertising slogan for many years (at least in the UK), which kinda got embedded in every day language . Your translation is about right. Kinda embraces the OP

I always understood it like:
"being ahead because of technology"

That's the meaning of försprång in Swedish anyway (which as you see corresponds with Vorsprung in German).

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Some interesting thoughts on whats wrong with symbians UI

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...g_one_work.php

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
The long and short of it that is they should either improve what they have to be competetive in the mass market, or they should adopt an alternative that is whether android or not.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
No, the point isn't silly at all. Nokia's average selling price for phones has been dropping all the time and it's a major problem for them. You get a lot more profit from selling the more expensive phones. The N900 doesn't exactly cost 600 euros to manufacture. R&D costs exist for both cheap and expensive phones. Sony Ericssson's CEO has, for example, said that they won't go into the cheap phones anymore since the margins are so small that they couldn't be able to produce them at prices that compete with Nokia, and still make money. This means that Nokia is not exactly raking in money from cheap phones. The expensive phones are where the money is -- and if a phone's selling price is 300 euros, they probably make much more profit on it than they do by selling three 100 euro phones.

The average price of a Nokia phone sold today is down to 62 €. The average price of a Nokia smartphone is now down to 155 €. (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1f67240c-4...44feab49a.html )

These numbers are falling all the time. I won't look up links for this, google it yourself, but the amount of PROFIT Apple makes per iphone is somewhere between 300 - 600 dollars per phone, I seem to recall. This is where Nokia wants to be. So if the magic fairy makes Nokia's 150 € smartphones for free, they only need to sell 2 to get the profit Apple is making.

It's not a silly point. I may have worded it in a not too good manner, but the point is valid: the cheap phone market is Nokia's since not too many of these major companies want to be there at all.
you could educate yourself better.

first of all, apple has found a lot of arbitrage from the markets and it is draining day by day. in the end apple must accept lower margins or quit doing phones.

And I wouldn't talk a thing about cheap phone strategies if I were you. You see only things that suits your personal opinions.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search