Active Topics

Originally Posted by lny98 View Post
A nice and valid sentiment, but Nokia ignores the iPhone at its own peril. I am a long time Palm-Treo user (and developer) and have seen a beloved platform (Palm OS) go to shameful lows.

To restate it, Apple understands computer commandment #1 "ITSS" (It's the Software, Stupid.). They also understand something that seems to elude so many people on this forum, the fact that people are willing to pay for what they want, for quality, for ease of use, etc. (look at the console gaming market, look at iTunes/iPod, etc).

The NIT is an amazing platform, but I've been around for a long time, and seen amazing plaforms die from losing the hearts and minds of developers and end users, and there is no question that depending upon the software that comes out for the iPhone (and relavantly for the NIT, the future iTouch), it could be bad news for Nokia/NIT.

ust saying.
I disagree, there are nice things that apple does but it just isn't that great. iTunes is terrible, I have accidentally bought the same song twice and it didn't even know I had purchased it previously it just renamed the new one with a "(2)" at the end, even Amazon MP3 tells me if I own a song or not. iTunes does nothing for organizing media across several computers, and is terrible when you have to sync music to devices from multiple computers, wiping out music and videos if you are not careful.

Apple does provide new things ahead of the competition, such as multi-touch, but a lot of times people are cheering for apple over things that are more of an "about time" kind of thing or a "should have been there in the first place" kind of thing. It isn't so much of the software they create as much as that they take advantage of gimmicks, much like Nintendo and it's wii-mote.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
I like turtles as much as the next guy but I really like bees. Bees are amazing creatures.
Bees make honey. Oh boy, I like pancakes too and honey is good on them even though I should use maple syrup instead. That would be more patriotic I'm sure. Oh, I get this iThing now.....

hmm, pönnukökur with lingonberries

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
and waffles. i just love waffles.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yet another "it depends" question.

It depends on what the user wants. These comparisons that try to force the NIT/iPhone into black-and-white scenarios are as pointless now as they were at the beginning. Each device still has unique aspects the other doesn't have. With that in mind, there are many who desire the unique functionality of the NITs to the point that they are still the more attractive device, even having to use a separate 3G phone. To others, just the opposite.
You are dead right Tex - it depends,

and in this case it depends on what Nokia advertises the NIT as - a always on and connected internet device

now for a always connected device you need the Wifi and the 3G.

And that is exactly what I compared in function to the iPhone (not with the smooth finger scrolling, not with the frilly icons, not with the colorful icons on black background, not with the aluminium back, not with the no buttons, no keys look of the iPhone) - but purely with function as an always on connected device.

so for this basic function I did show that a iPhone works out to be a much more cheaper and effective device. (cost-effective is the operative word here).

and I am only loving the iPhone for the cost (not for style or anything else)- I am no rabid Apple fan boy, at least not as much as you are a Nokia NIT fanboy

Thought the iphone is much more than $199 in real terms? The requirement to enter into a 24 month contract means that the carriers subsidize the iphone as they do other phones. Comparing it to other similar priced devices, I guess the real cost for a no-contract iphone will be roughly $600-$700 (versus say $400 for N810). Having said that, 3G (HSDPA) access is a great strength in the iphone while no VOIP and bluetooth tethering are a let-down. Only wish for a N810 with a 3G (HSDPA) access (without another 3G device to serve as modem as it is currently)...

Last edited by gbrm; 2008-06-11 at 02:06.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by tso View Post
per default there is a large tabletter button on the "desktop". and it opens a browser page that holds a lot of stuff the user can try out...
A half-hearted attempt to what it should be... What does it offer? A few applications for english speaking users.

Its not localised, so it scares off customers in markets like france, germany, finnland,...

And it doesn't even start being of any help when it comes to multimedia. Music? Videos? ...?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
but yes, apples "whole widget" strategy makes it simpler for the end user. but for any geek, its just another vertical silo...
apple is mother, apple is father, apple knows whats best for you...
The "apple knows best" is exactly what's wrong with apple and why i'll never buy any of their products. but it isn't only black and white. you can have some user-friendly portal where ppl download whatever runs on their device and still be open the was maemo is right now. it doesn't have to be one way or the other, it can (and should) be both. otherwise, new users will get frustrated very soon.

Again: Right now, Nokia has nothing. Neither for phones or for tablets. Nothing I can go to and be sure that whatever is on display in the shelves will certainly run on my device and be of good, tested quality.

Last edited by benny1967; 2008-06-11 at 07:30.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Are you seriously thinking that the 'solution' to this is just a localized user friendly website?

What do you make of the content that Apple has made available through iTunes?

Yes, I give Apple full credit for being devio^H^H^H^H^H smart enough as the fat capitalistic bast^H^H^H broker right in the middle of the biggest online content store.

What does that mean? That means if you're not a f**king pirate, it's the most convenient way of getting online content for your mobile device in this world right now.

And the flipside? It's probably the most viable way for content providers (Yes: musicians, artists, etc) to share and capitalize on their products in the market as well.

Controlling and profiteering from both end of the spectrum, while (and due to) giving benefits from all parties involved is what Apple has been doing right in this capitalistic market.

PS: DRM sucks from end user's perspective, but try putting yourself in the artist's perspective as well. While we don't have a better solution in the market yet to protect their IP, that seems to be the only viable compromise to bring legit contents to the market right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
I'm going to make pancakes for breakfast. Yeah, that's the ticket.
All this iChatter and analysis of Apple vs Nokia philosophy makes me tired and hungry. It's a tool/toy but these threads are tiresome. My imaginary gawd is better than your imaginary gawd, blah blah.

So unless one or the other company can make my breakfast it just doesn't matter this much.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
ysss, what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
My point is waffles are great for breakfast AND brunch.