Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

i almost freaked out at the thought of not having the white label..but turns out mines black..and it says week 47..

mine popped right out today,

like im able to charge my battery with the thing wedged in there.
unfortunately,i bought this n900 on nov 27 on ebay for 850 bucks(lol)
REALLY wanted one

soo i bought a few battery chargers off of ebay and a few extra batteries,
" im trying to convince my friend to buy one off newegg "

Nokia wants weeks to fix my phone!... cant afford to lose it for that long.

anyways this really sucks.... lol

I have a feeling more people will have this issue as time goes by.

Last edited by woodyear99; 2010-01-07 at 06:42.

i hope not,
firmware upgrades are going to be quite interesting going forward :confused

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mpls, MN
Maybe I should have posted in here a long time ago. My N900, received 15 December, week 47, stopped accepting a charge 22 December. Considerable wiggle room. Sent it to the Nokia repair facility. They sent me a brand new one, received a new one three days ago 3 Jan. If this happens again it better happen before 31 Jan so I can get a full refund back from Amazon. Grrr. No clue what the production week is on the new one since they used my old box to send it back to me.

When looking at the dismantling video, the USB port is not soldiered to the main board. It is soldierd to small metal clips that are pushed against the mainboard. The port itself is (probably) glued or press-fit into the plastic casing.

To be honest I don't think it is any chance of that falling out unless experiencing some forces, like falling on the floor with USB cable hittingfirst, or gorilla-action when taking the cable in/out. The N900 is much heavier than normal phones, so a landing on the USB port is much more traumatic.

On my N800, the male power pin is bent, due to falling on the floor while charging. If my N900 experience the same thing, it doesn't look good though

The Following User Says Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Any idea how this compares to the microUSB port mounting on the n810?
I'll try to remember to check.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
When looking at the dismantling video, the USB port is not soldiered to the main board. It is soldierd to small metal clips that are pushed against the mainboard. The port itself is (probably) glued or press-fit into the plastic casing.
Sure doesn't look like it's glued or fit to the plastic casing at all from this pic from http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39072&page=7
:

Looks the same on my device, including the very slight angle of the port relative to the casing.

When you look at this picture:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39072

There are two brackets or "wings" on the socket. They must be fastened to the casing by gluing or pressing/heating or something. The socket itself doesn't need to be glued.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
On my N800, the male power pin is bent, due to falling on the floor while charging. If my N900 experience the same thing, it doesn't look good though
Haha, I have the same issue on the n800, I accidentally dragged it down and it landed on the (hard) floor once. n800 itself was fine (just cosmetic scratches on the bezel) but male power pin is bent.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty