I'm having some problems going to PR1.3 ...

"To update your device to this version of the operating system you must use Nokia PC Suite on your PC. Connect the device to your PC via a USB cable and launch the application."

The problem is, as near as my research shows, Nokia PC Suite doesn't run on my PC, which happens to be a Mac. How can I get this going? Please advise, thank you!

Originally Posted by hannibaltabu View Post

"To update your device to this version of the operating system you must use Nokia PC Suite on your PC. Connect the device to your PC via a USB cable and launch the application."

The problem is, as near as my research shows, Nokia PC Suite doesn't run on my PC, which happens to be a Mac. How can I get this going? Please advise, thank you!
You probably need to uninstall some apps before you can upgrade OTA... GLTron is one which I remember causes issues, but a quick scan through the fora will no doubt highlight other candidates.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hannibaltabu View Post

kindly on the details tab if you have some app thats conflicting with the update, uninstall it from AppMan then proceed with the update

this happened to me also yesterday

The Following User Says Thank You to chivar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Definitely worth it.

---

This update shows a good improvement in how updates should work. I happened to be connected to WiFi, got a single 84 MB update, then the phone did its thing.
After two reboots everything was in place, save the kernel-power package.

The phone seems much more responsive and the under-the-hood changes are just terrific.

It's good to see that the device has real support from Nokia !

//

Originally Posted by chivar View Post
kindly on the details tab if you have some app thats conflicting with the update, uninstall it from AppMan then proceed with the update

this happened to me also yesterday

Thank you so much for the information. I'll do this tonight when I'm back safely near my own wi-fi, not the work stuff. Great information, I appreciate it!

Was it worth it, I can't really comment yet as I've just done it OTA. What I can say, and I am VERY surprised, given that it was totally painless for me. I was expecting total mayhem so had the USB cable at hand, ready to reflash. So if there is any improvement (I honestly had no problems anyway), given that it was so easy, then yes.

Downloaded, installed and rebooted without a sinlge hiccup Apt-get the power kernel, and everything is as it should be, my custom start up scripts are running, overclocked at 1.1Ghz, Temp displayed on desktop, all apps still there etc..

BTW, I really like the OVI message feature, nice UI and very useful.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
Well I'll be damned, those two drunk schmucks in MeeGo janitor closet aka Maemo HQ actually put out the next N900 update: the infamous PR1.3

Are there any noticable changes so far?
I think it was worth it, better than nothing I suppose.
I updated via re-flashing as I had a billion apps installed and wanted to start again. Did not flash the eMMC though.

No issue at all with the re-flash to PR1.3.
It kept all contacts, SMS, calendar and data. Apps that I really used I had to re-install as expected.

Noticeable changes:
* Much smoother and more responsive desktop swiping, transitions and kinetic scrolling.
* Emails load faster.
* Web sites load faster.
* Battery life does seem better, maybe 10% extra time.

Hopefully extra features will be added in later updates since QT4.7 support should allow apps built for Symbian to be more easily ported over to Maemo. If my understanding of this is correct ??

* Voice dialing would be a nice add, definitely useful when driving.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
It seems the built in Media Player still hasn't been optimized for AVI (xvid) videos in the PR1.3 update.
A 40 min AVI at 624x352 resolution with data rate 1200kpbs drops frames every 10 to 15 secs or so.
Still watchable but you can tell its not smoothly playing back.

The same AVI plays perfectly smoothly with KMPlayer (mplayer selected).

Last edited by Maruzko; 2010-10-29 at 11:53.

Originally Posted by tomchiverton View Post
Nokia tore up their operating system plans last week, doing away with Symbian v4 and going to shorter release cycles.
One of the consequences is picking a single shared runtime across all their future smart phones. And that's QT4.7 (etc.), and honestly they'll stick with it for more than 6 months this time...
i think we're starting to see the effects of having new people at top mgmt. plans are changing.

Tags
flatulent troll, richard cranium