Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Houston
Originally Posted by kawabill View Post
I have identical problems syncing at work with MfE to Outlook, even when trying to sync the device to m.google.com I get this communication error. My own and my girlfriends phone show the same problem.

Software version says;21.2011.38-1

@SpRoOoOo
I hope I'm not stealing your story here, so please let me know if there's no relation. It would help me if you checked syncing to gmail works for your device.

Thanks,
Bill
That is O.K. man. Well from what I read in the articles about Gmail Sync, Email push is not supported . So, to work around my problem I configured Exchange account as imap , Gmail as Imap and mfe with Gmail to sync Calender and Contacts. Though, after the initial sync , I noticed that the calender in sync but no contacts. So, here is what I did to further try to keep everything in sync , I installed Goolgle calender sync with outlook and and Go Contacts Sync software on my computer . After, that I was able to get me calender and contacts into Gmail . Though, I couldn't get gmail to sync back with the phone just the calender . So, I gave up and synced my contacts using PC suite and left calender sync with gmail using mfe .

So to sum up. Added contacts to outlook will replicate to gmail using Go Contact Sync Mod but can't sync back to N900 only with PC suite , installed Google calender sync on my computer (2 ways ) to replicate exchange calender to Gmail and N900 using mfe .

I am not ready to get rid of this phone yet , I am so attached to it that's why am jumping through hoops. Maybe this won't help you much but regarding Exchange Error with m.google.com try unchecking the email and leave just calender and contacts.

I'm seeing the same thing with m.google.com

Code:
# cmcli -T common=ca -v m.google.com:443
f5......4a
  Verification failed: unable to get local issuer certificate
google cal/contact sync has always been sporatic for me but even more so with the recent cssu update.

Originally Posted by kawabill View Post
I have identical problems syncing at work with MfE to Outlook, even when trying to sync the device to m.google.com I get this communication error. My own and my girlfriends phone show the same problem.

Software version says;21.2011.38-1

@SpRoOoOo
I hope I'm not stealing your story here, so please let me know if there's no relation. It would help me if you checked syncing to gmail works for your device.

Thanks,
Bill

Originally Posted by shoonmcgregor View Post
I'm seeing the same thing with m.google.com

Code:
# cmcli -T common=ca -v m.google.com:443
f5......4a
  Verification failed: unable to get local issuer certificate
google cal/contact sync has always been sporatic for me but even more so with the recent cssu update.
I can confirm the cert. failure on my phone .

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Bree (B)
Thanks SpRoOoOo, the reason for me checking gmail sync was identical to yours.

We had corporate change to another exchange server, before it worked without problems. I agree it must be something in the phone that needs updating. Will check this weekend and see whether I can get Meego installed an see whether I can get that to work properly.

For today's standads the N900 is big and heavy, but I love the phone as it is possible to do almost everything.... Except sync Outlook through MfE these days.

Will keep following this thread.

I think the cert issue is a red herring.

I was able to capture a syslog that contains a successful MfE session, a failed MfE session, all subsequent MfE session failures, and then resolve without a reboot/full resync/etc:

The successful MfE case was on fresh reboot, wifi ap, external power. It looks like the ASDaemon-conn process kicks off a curl call back that returns http 200 (and I would guess the data from the post.)

Code:
HTTP REQUEST:  POST https://m.google.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Sync&DeviceId=XXXXXXXXXX&DeviceType=SmartPhone
ASDAEMON-CONN: startSession start, aWait=30 seconds
ASDAEMON-CONN: CURL-CONN-CALLBACK: Action=2                                                                        
ASDAEMON-CONN: CURL-CONN-CALLBACK: Action=1                             
ASDAEMON-CONN: CURL-CONN-CALLBACK: Action=4                                      
ASDAEMON-CONN: startSession end, ret=0           
AS-PERF: Transfered 1804 bytes in 0 seconds. Transfer rate is 0 Kb/sec
CurlConnectionManager: sendReceive attempt 1: CancelErr=0
HTTP STATUS: 200                                                       
AS-PERF: Content-Length:                                     
AS-LIB: Sync response received (200)
The subsequent MfE failure was when the phone transitioned from the aforementioned wifi to Tmobile 3.5G (3 bars), battery power. It looks like cURL is unable to contact the server after 2 tries (error code 7 enum is CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT) and that catches into an AS-Lib 707 error. Fair enough, sync failed for this POST attempt.

Code:
HTTP REQUEST:  POST https://m.google.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=FolderSync&DeviceId=XXXXXXXXXX&DeviceType=SmartPhone                                    
activesync: AsStatusIndicator::displayEvent(0)                                                                                                                                  
activesync: AsStatusIndicator::updateState(): Sync                                                                                                                              
ASDAEMON-CONN: Cancel connection                                                                                                                                      
AS-PERF: Transfered 0 bytes in 30 seconds. Transfer rate is 0 Kb/sec                                                                            
CurlConnectionManager: sendReceive attempt 1: CancelErr=901                                                                                     
ASDAEMON: ICListener IAPs count = 1                                                                                                             
ASDAEMON: ICListener proxyHost: usessl = 1, proxy_host = (null)                                                                   
HTTP REQUEST:  POST https://m.google.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=FolderSync&DeviceId=XXXXXXXXXX&DeviceType=SmartPhone              
ASDAEMON-CONN: startSession start, aWait=90 seconds                                                                                             
ASDAEMON-CONN: startSession end, ret=7                                                                                            
AS-PERF: Transfered 0 bytes in 1 seconds. Transfer rate is 0 Kb/sec                                                                 
CurlConnectionManager: sendReceive attempt 2: CancelErr=0                                                                         
CurlConnectionManager: cURL errorcode = 7, Couldn't connect to server                                                             
AS-LIB: FolderSync response received (707)                                                                                        
AS-LIB: FolderSync ends with status 707                                                                                     
AS-LIB: Action execution ends with status 707                                                                                     
AS-LIB: Synchronizing folders finished with action status 707.

Now here is where I return to the known-good sync environment at the beginning of this post. All automated or Manual attempts at sync automatically fail with no retries. I suspect there is some state the CurlConnectionManager gets in where it thinks it hit the max retry limit and will no longer try.

Code:
ASDAEMON-CONN: Session already completed, ret=7
ASDAEMON-CONN: startSession end, ret=7                                           
AS-PERF: Transfered 0 bytes in 0 seconds. Transfer rate is 0 Kb/sec
CurlConnectionManager: cURL errorcode = 7, Couldn't connect to server
So let's try restarting AS-daemon and retry the sync (should happen on as' start)

Code:
/etc/init.d/as-daemon-0 stop
/etc/init.d/as-daemon-0 start
Sure enough, sync returns just fine:

Code:
HTTP REQUEST:  POST https://m.google.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Sync&DeviceId=XXXXXXXXXX&DeviceType=SmartPhone
AS-PERF: Transfered 1804 bytes in 1 seconds. Transfer rate is 1 Kb/sec
HTTP STATUS: 200
I will look at the code for the asdaemon when I get a chance but if anyone out there with asdaemon/n900 chops gets a chance this might help out.

Last edited by shoonmcgregor; 2011-12-12 at 15:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to shoonmcgregor For This Useful Post:
Are you using tmobile? If so, are you using epc.tmobile.com as your apn?

Originally Posted by SpRoOoOo View Post
I can confirm the cert. failure on my phone .

Originally Posted by shoonmcgregor View Post
Are you using tmobile? If so, are you using epc.tmobile.com as your apn?
Yes I am with Tmobile . And yes I am using that for my APN, For IPv4.

Last edited by SpRoOoOo; 2011-12-13 at 03:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpRoOoOo For This Useful Post:
Thank you. I went through several test cases last night to track this down and was never able to get the first fail sync on the 2 wifi networks I tested but I was always able to get the failure on epc.tmobile.com. I suspect something is getting mangled when the request is sent through tmobile's apn but I only have those high level results at this point.

I really want to test OPTIONS and POST to see if tmobile is messing/blocking something so I tried to look at the asdaemon's code last night but I couldn't find the relevant cssu git repo.

The payload appears to be very small and the return data should not be that big (no changes to contacts/cal.)

http://vivekiyer.net/2010/12/06/an-a...tions-request/

For now, this process seems to resolve the no-sync state problem:

1.) Disconnect from T-Mobile internet
2.) Connect to known-good wifi AP w/ internet
3.) /etc/init.d/as-daemon-0 restart

Edit: Looks like MfE is closed source. I'll see if I can test the tmobile issue another way.

Originally Posted by SpRoOoOo View Post
Yes I am with Tmobile . And yes I am using that for my APN, For IPv4.

Last edited by shoonmcgregor; 2011-12-13 at 20:34.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
I can confirm on my n900 the same scenario. I've tried using the default tmobile apn epc.tmobile.com, and the wap.voicestream.com apn. I have no issues with mfe synch when on WiFi networks. On a side note, using the same sim card (yes its been trimmed to fit) I have no synch issues with mfe on my n9.

edit: I'm using T-Mobile prepaid 4g service, not sure if that would make any difference.

Last edited by joeD; 2011-12-29 at 07:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to joeD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Bree (B)
Anyone on the forum having a solution how to emulate a provisioning device on N900?

I think the trouble I'm having is that the new policy for our corporate servers has changed to allowing only provisioned devices.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4475

Any ideas or directions are welcome.

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!