Active Topics

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The power adaptor is an AC-10 (MicroUSB).
fantastic news.

i've held off owning anything but the dumbest of £15 pay-as-you-go nokia phones for the last 10 years, this year i may finally crack and get a maemo 5 smartphone.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, Nokia's plan seems to be to release soon or immediately after an announcement. So, no, there shouldn't be any significant waiting periods (assuming no staggered global releases ).
I'm really hoping you're right... but if the N810 experience repeats, then the French AZERTY-toting version will be way behind the rest :-)

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I'm really hoping you're right... but if the N810 experience repeats, then the French AZERTY-toting version will be way behind the rest :-)
I don't remember where I read it, but I think that europe was last (with many months of difference) in the release plan.
But don't worry, we'll have to pay much more than everyone else for the privilege of being last

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
No doubt about that The supposed release plan is now clearly way off (said June announcement with July release). On the other hand every source said this year, so even if the availabilty will not be global from day 1, there can't be much of an offset between markets.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
ARGH...

(small rant time, caused by a few years of frustration with thumb keyboards designed by complete idiots)

Do mobile phone thumb keyboard designers have any clue whatsoever? Are their heads firmly lodged in their butts? Do they ever even bother to actually USE the devices they design? (this isn't just Nokia, I've got a Samsung with a similarly brain damaged keyboard layout; and neither the nokia's nor the samsungs that I've used with control keys have them as toggle keys, which would at least make them usable)

How the F are you supposed to do a control-C on this thing? Or a control-D? Control-X or V?

The most common control key sequences are all RIGHT thumb keys. Having the control key on the right side works for full sized keyboards because you've got MORE THAN ONE FINGER to use at a time. THAT DOESN'T WORK FOR THUMB KEYBOARDS. IT'S F'ING ASININE TO PUT A CONTROL KEY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF A THUMB KEYBOARD.

*****s.

(end of rant)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
However, one of the comments said:

"It's already denied, the patent was already filed by another company that is contracted by Symbian and Nokia and it's valid till 2020..."

but either the comment was BS, or my Google skills are lacking 'cause I couldn't find anything about Nokia being involved with hybrid capacitive/resistive screen technology.
The application hasn't even been examined yet. It's status is "Docketed New Case - Ready for Examination", meaning it has not yet been looked at by the examiner.

http://portal.uspto.gov/external/portal/pair

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
OK, the screen is really slick, no bezel and all, but... am I the only one who fails to see the home/esc buttons ? The mini-rectangle on the left of the face looks more like a speaker (in line with the voice functions).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Ok, maybe not
http://www.interlinkelectronics.com/...apacitive.html
Something I've never thought about occurred to me when I was reading this list. "Capacitive screens: Activation: Requires direct skin contact." So someone with a prosthetic hand or arm would not be able use a capacitive screen device. Just a random thought.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile