Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Morocco
Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
My hunch with the browser route is that it will be (much?) easier to get a clunky solution working, but impossible to get something *really* good. I'm shooting for simple and *really* good. :-)
Have you had a look at this? http://thegoan.com/firebible/ It's a Bible add-on for the Firefox browser. I don't know if this would be a good idea for the n900 or not. It doesn't require that you be online though.

Originally Posted by alaaji View Post
Have you had a look at this? http://thegoan.com/firebible/ It's a Bible add-on for the Firefox browser. I don't know if this would be a good idea for the n900 or not. It doesn't require that you be online though.
From the Website:
Technically, FireBible will work on any platform which supports Firefox and Java
Not a bad idea but the n900 does not currently support Java yet. Also when working inside a browser you are constrained to how the browser works. We have a lot more control over Gestures if we are handling the interface.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
My thoughts regarding an 'attack plan' is to first spend some time exploring Qt and what I can do within the confines of the Maemo5/hildon environment....then (as Nathan suggested) start digging into BibleTime to see where a clean 'split' can be made (hopefully the code isn't so gnarly that this is impossible!). There should be a layer of code that deals with interacting with the Sword API - we can borrow heavily from this - and above this should be some presentation layer code that we can hopefully find a way to 'massage' into a new hildon-style GUI.
This may well be the best approach. My only concern is that it may be difficult to reuse much code, while having a maemo interface that feels native. The SWORD api is actually pretty good; it's high-level enough that the simple stuff I'm doing now takes a couple dozen lines of code.

Small status update:
lib-ICU, Swig, LibLucene are all in the repositories.

Sword, and Python-Sword is not yet. The Packaging is DONE and working in my sdk -- but I am having an major issue with the buildbots and the wonderful optification.

I've posted to the dev list to try and figure out how we can get this issue fixed. Once it is fixed I can resubmit the sword library and then Pierre can submit his Rapier shortly afterwords.

Nathan.

This may well be the best approach. My only concern is that it may be difficult to reuse much code, while having a maemo interface that feels native. The SWORD api is actually pretty good; it's high-level enough that the simple stuff I'm doing now takes a couple dozen lines of code.
Xiphos, is supposed to have the Interface detached from their code base. Meaning we could get all the "hard" work they have done for effectively free. :-)

They have three layers

Interface
Misc
Sword Glue

If we replace the interface, we should be "good" to go, while getting years of development work for free.

But as I have stated in prior messages; I have not actually looked at the code. So starting from scratch might be better, I have no idea. ;-)

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind my asking what are you using, qt 4.5, 4.6, what controls are you using to do your infinite scrolling?

Nathan

Name:  Katana.jpg
Views: 4568
Size:  98.3 KB
Here's a quick screenshot of the work I've been doing. A couple of notes:
* Qt isn't quite ready for Fremantle, at least as far as I can tell. I'm using 4.5 from the repositories, but it doesn't look native. I tried the 4.6 alpha, but it crashes on startup. Anyone else have success here?
* I'm using the QTextEdit, and doing modifying the document on the fly to create the illusion of infinite scroll. I'm doing this instead of creating my own view so that finger scrolling works automatically.
* I used the Katana name here because I like it. Nathan, if you want to take your project a different direction, I'm happy to give up the name.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joshn53 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Wow! That looks So good! I'm amazed at you guys. Kudos all round.

Update: I figured out why the controls weren't themed correctly - I was running the app directly instead of using the run-standalone.sh script. It looks much better now.

Update: I figured out why the controls weren't themed correctly - I was running the app directly instead of using the run-standalone.sh script. It looks much better now.
I have to say I am impressed -- while I have been "playing" with libraries you have already got a early working version. Kudos!

Nathan.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
I've been playing around with the Sword API. From what i've seen so far, it does seem quite simple as y'all mentioned. I just got the Maemo 5 SDK running, so I'm going to be playing around with Qt4 within Maemo and reviewing the style guide :-D .

The Following User Says Thank You to flux41 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword