Active Topics

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
i wont get it unless it has a hw kb. :/

hope it does.
According to FCC raport it does. Don't worry. I think that people even at Nokia read these forums and know how important hw keyboard is for people

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
I am currently an android user and from my perspective maemo 5 was more complete and with less bugs then android. So yes I really think that :P

Might be wrong thread to ask but from what I've recall there was someone saying that harmattan will have a hw accelerated ui a year ago or something. Is this a fact by now?
Could be atleast halftrue the QtQuick team is working hard to optimize nextgen QtQuick and use OpenGL and replace QPainter with QSceneGraph if I remember correct.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
you guys heard of the „rumor“ that the meego device which you can buy hasn’t got a KB. The Candybar one is for the public.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Dual core is a hardware feature.

Not sure how being optified compensates for a slower processor.

Seriously. Do you remember life BEFORE Titan? It sucked Big-TIME.

Again, all fine and dandy, how long will that take. With the N900 performance and battery life was one of the main drivers for Titan and other optimizations. Innovation born out of frustration. Why not start with good hardware and save ourself the frustration? I'll pay more for a device if that means less frustration for the first year or so.

You're saying there would be no difference between a single 1 Ghz process and a 1GHz dual core processor? Hmm.... I think there is.

Except everyone keeps saying that all optimization problems will be addressed by the MeeGo collective and OVI Maps, one of the worst offenders on the N900 can only be addressed by Nokia and not anyone else. So if there is any chance OVI Maps for N950 will be as resource intensive as on the N900 then dual core would again be beneficial.
1) Yes, dual core is a hardware feature, you went on to talk about Ovi Maps and stuff.

2) because it's less resource hungry...

3) Yep, got a new N900 last month and was completely amazed at how fast it was. When you take up 70%+ of root space, it's gonna slow down.

I think you're missing my point on all this. I'm not suggesting Nokia give us subpar hardware, i want big upgrades from the N900.All i'm saying is i don't want the band-aid approach - if we have an OS that runs nice and fast and smooth with a lower processor, great. If they put a 1.2GHz processor in anyway, great. But don't have a bloated OS that needs a huge processor. That's all i mean. This is like the difference between Windows XP and Windows Vista.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Are you saying Android/IOS has fully optimized coide for DualCores hahaha you have to be kidding...
No, but at least it will have support for years to come. Who knows what MeeGo will bring.

No, but at least it will have support for years to come. Who knows what MeeGo will bring.
Do you even know what your last post was before you make a new one? You said Android and iOS are optimised for dual core, then said no but they have support for years. Android isn't optimised for much of anything, it runs like crap on single core, people are now ejaculating over the spec sheet of the SG2 and it isn't optified for dual core. It's just this endless circle of ********. I don't know about you, I want MeeGo to be different, i want it to stand above Android by being able to claim that it's not fragmented, that it works well, and it's optimised.

If something is chasing Android, it might as well pack up and go home

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Apparently it's European law that they must support a device for 24 months, so no, June 2012 would be at most only 12 months
That just means that they have to fix it if it breaks within 24 months, it doesn't mean they have to keep developing the OS for 24 months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I think you're missing my point on all this. I'm not suggesting Nokia give us subpar hardware, i want big upgrades from the N900.All i'm saying is i don't want the band-aid approach - if we have an OS that runs nice and fast and smooth with a lower processor, great. If they put a 1.2GHz processor in anyway, great. But don't have a bloated OS that needs a huge processor. That's all i mean. This is like the difference between Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Whether or not MeeGo is like XP or Vista remains to be seen, but it will be because of the engineers decide that's what they want to do and can do not because of the processor in the N950.

Historically software has been the long pole in the N900 and N8. Do you really think with Nokia's lack of support they're really going to get ahead of this one? I respect Nokia engineers for what they can do but let's be real. Harmattan won't be optimized. And if I had to wait for MeeGo proper to give me the fully optimized MeeGo experience, when will that be?

I was about to go with the HP Veer but I think I will hold out for this. This is what I've been waiting for. Hardware keyboard and bigger screen than the 3.5" the n900 has. Hope the N950 will have the camera of N8 or better.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Whether or not MeeGo is like XP or Vista remains to be seen, but it will be because of the engineers decide that's what they want to do and can do not because of the processor in the N950.

Historically software has been the long pole in the N900 and N8. Do you really think with Nokia's lack of support they're really going to get ahead of this one? I respect Nokia engineers for what they can do but let's be real. Harmattan won't be optimized. And if I had to wait for MeeGo proper to give me the fully optimized MeeGo experience, when will that be?
Ok, seriously, buy the LG MeeGo if you're already sure you'll hate Nokia's

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland