Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Too lazy for a few clicks
No i'm not. I'm too lazy to calculate it seems.

Stopwatch mode, testing mode, adjusting mode .... from now on I will refer to "Continue mode"
That's what it is.

Long pressing the time picker button (the middle button) will now switch to stopwatch mode.
My first impression is that there's a lack of consistency with interaction of the other buttons. "Where am i?"

My proposal is not to introduce a new stopwatch mode but to use the continue mode instead:

Use the time picker button in general to toggle continue mode. If time is set to zero simply activate the start button and put the alarm icon next to the (still deactivated) time display.

This way no time is set to zero as it is now when toggling stopwatch mode, no lack of information when paused if it's countdown or stopwatch, no activation of the time counter bar before starting and no additional mode.

Agreed. It's hard to precisely start stopwatch at certain moment, when you need to long-press for it to start.

I know, I know, there are dedicated stopwatch programs, but why to use them, if cooktimer is much better et all?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Please try the functionality of the stopwatch first: there is no need for a long press to start.
A long press is only needed to set it in stopwatch mode. Then you can just press the start button to actually begin your measurement.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Please try the functionality of the stopwatch first: there is no need for a long press to start.
A long press is only needed to set it in stopwatch mode.
Yes, and when you do so, it overwrites the dish's timer. Switch back and you have your dish with no time set, hmm. It ****s up the look and feel like a sledgehammer.

You can't activate the "testing mode" earlier, as the buttons are disabled at start (you can set it when the time remaining color is red). As I like the disabled effect, I leave that as it is.
Now you have a stopwatch mode that activates the time counter bar before start. That doesn't integrate in cooktimer's previous look and feel, as a coloured time counter bar stood for a running (paused) timer.

Please rethink my upper suggestion. It would enable toggling the continue mode before starting a timer as well.

Why add such a thing when it could smoothly be done with an existing method and doing so would give an additional advantage (toogle without running the timer)? It's hard to comprehend for me.

peace, it's just a timer

Originally Posted by rasmarc View Post
Yes, and when you do so, it overwrites the dish's timer. Switch back and you have your dish with no time set, hmm. It ****s up the look and feel like a sledgehammer.
With look and feel I meant: cooktimer still has almost the same simple layout as it did when I started. No extra stopwatch buttons or any other buttons. That what I wanted to prevent.
And yes, the stopwatch resets old dishvalues, as it get's a new function. Makes sense to me, as a stopwatch usually starts at zero.

Now you have a stopwatch mode that activates the time counter bar before start. That doesn't integrate in cooktimer's previous look and feel, as a coloured time counter bar stood for a running (paused) timer.
I explain what I meant by look and file. The yellow bar is still inactive, but indicates the you are not in default mode.

Please rethink my upper suggestion. It would enable toggling the continue mode before starting a timer as well.

Why add such a thing when it could smoothly be done with an existing method and doing so would give an additional advantage (toogle without running the timer)? It's hard to comprehend for me.

peace, it's just a timer
As I have other purposes than you have (I just want cooking timers for 98% of the time and a stopwatch as additional 2% bonus), my reasoning will be different. But I will re-evaluate it for sure. At this moment it is time to give this project a bit of peace of it's own I think

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
yes, the stopwatch resets old dishvalues, as it get's a new function. Makes sense to me, as a stopwatch usually starts at zero.
It should be a 2% feature, but is able to reset cooktimer's default timer and work as a complete new function.

I explain what I meant by look and file. The yellow bar is still inactive, but indicates the you are not in default mode.
But it doesn't look inactive, more like an exalting gold-yellow robe like being the king of kings, indicating a new mode to have all to itself for a 2% feature.

I just want cooking timers for 98% of the time and a stopwatch as additional 2% bonus
100%.

I will re-evaluate it for sure. At this moment it is time to give this project a bit of peace of it's own I think
Thanks , 7th day is drawing to an end slowly. So here are some screenshots for transmission of information with the speed of light.

pic#1: start counting at zero in continue mode, indicated by default alarm icon
pic#2: stopwatch terror
Attached Images

Last edited by rasmarc; 2013-11-18 at 06:03.

@ade

Here's just yet my next post regarding long press actions, just for later consideration.

I usually keep cooktimer open all the time (along with other apps) for a quicker start. Thus it happens that i'd like to completely reset a timer (to "Choose dish" state) to keep the whole display clearly arranged.

In relation to my previous posts where i suggest using the "Continue mode" for starting a stopwatch it would be useful to reset a timer to zero with one tap as well.

Here is my summarized idea:

1. Long pressing the dish picker button resets the timer (no dish or time set).

2. Long pressing the time picker button toggles "Continue mode".

3. "Continue mode" special cases for stopwatch function:

3a. No time is set and "Continue mode" is switched on (off).
-> The start button gets enabled (disabled).

3b. A dish is selected whose time is set to zero.
-> "Continue mode" is automatically switched on (with enabled start button, see 3a).

Would it be possible you put this in your issue tracker? I'd really appreciate that.

The Following User Says Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by rasmarc View Post
Here is my summarized idea
I had to read this a couple of times to understand but here's my opinion.

1 - I completely agree with and would be very useful.

2 - correct me if I am wrong, is already implemented?

3 - I now understand and can reproduce.
You wish for cooktimer to switch on stopwatch mode keeping it's current time, if an item is selected (which currently it resets to zero). However if no item is selected (Choose Dish) stopwatch mode will start as current. Makes sense.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
2 - correct me if I am wrong, is already implemented?
Yes, but using a different button.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
3 - I now understand and can reproduce.
You wish for cooktimer to switch on stopwatch mode keeping it's current time, if an item is selected (which currently it resets to zero). However if no item is selected (Choose Dish) stopwatch mode will start as current. Makes sense.
Yes, partly.

I wish for cooktimer to switch on stopwatch mode keeping its current time in any case. If you want a stopwatch starting at zero in a set timer, reset the timer by long pressing the dish picker button.

When setting a time i want to be able to add a stopwatch. Currently this is only possible by starting the timer first and then long pressing the time counter bar.

This is because Ade implemented the Continue Mode first, which offers no chance to start a stopwatch at zero. Then he added the Stopwatch mode as a new operation (long pressing the time picker button which is always active). Thanks again .

i'd like to put any stopwatch function on this button and maybe automate one special case (picking a dish whose time is set to zero should automatically switch to Stopwatch mode).

In my idea the small alarm icon from Continue mode is used globally as indicator for an added stopwatch to a timer.

Last edited by rasmarc; 2013-11-20 at 11:42. Reason: complete new text, original post used different terms

I have been concentration on the button functions this time, given rasmarc's input.

The controls now follow these rules:
  • Long press the "choose dish" button will reset all item attributes to initial (so setting the time to 00:00:00 will no longer reset the dishname, as it's kind of obsolete)
  • Long press the "time picker" button will toggle stopwatch mode. No values are reset
  • If inactive, the time remaining bar will be dark green or dark yellow to indicate it's mode
  • Continue mode can always be activated

Edit: autobuilder has picked up things again, so it can be found in extras-devel

Last edited by ade; 2013-11-23 at 18:42.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooktimer, nokia n900