Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I'd say this needs some defining.

If "crash" = "system fully locked up or unable to use it with rebooting", then no, I have yet to see my n800 crash with daily use.

If "crash" = "an application locks up or exits" then that brings us into the world of individual apps, rather then the device/OS.
My N800 has never crashed either. I've had MicroB lock up a couple of times, but no crashes ever.

R.
==

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I'd say this needs some defining.

If "crash" = "system fully locked up or unable to use it with rebooting", then no, I have yet to see my n800 crash with daily use.

If "crash" = "an application locks up or exits" then that brings us into the world of individual apps, rather then the device/OS.

pwng!!! finally a superior answer to my doubt

see.. im not into linux other than that of either:
A) WORKING programs that are 90-100% in working order

and/or

B) first party programs/what the darn thing was built/advertised to do

so i shouldnt have any problems! and yes.. i got and answer to the video chat thing.. thus why im buying my gf one, too after she saw me checking them out

it works best via N800 <--> N800 connection. sweet; you'll be hearing of me and my uber rants on how much I love my N800 very soon

well, I just ordered one as well, worse case scenario, I sell it in a few weeks. I'm in Canada, so if anyone is interested in a new one used for a few weeks, keep in touch

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
It's compounded by the fact that for a device touted as having "Internet calling with web camera" (on Nseries.com), it still doesn't do either of the two most expected out-of-the-box experiences for that promise: Skype video, or the Flash camera APIs.
Is that Nokia's fault, or is the camera not being supported by Skype and Adobe? AFAIK, Skype has not yet implemented this feature yet. No idea why, but I'm guessing that Skype would rather be channeling it's resources to fix other revenue-impacting problems. NIT users make up like what, 0.2% of it's entire user base?

I'm just glad for now that I have Skype and Gizmo running on my iT. Video would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker right now since many of my buddies don't have webcams.

I've had my N800 for over a year now, no crashes after the first OS upgrade (the original OS version had a problem where occasionally a watchdog timer would see the DSP not responding, and auto-reboot the N800. Only happened when it was idle though, e.g. at night. Technically this wasn't actually a crash, it just looked like one until you learned the cause of it).

MicroB (mostly) and Opera (sometimes) have occasionally unexpectedly shut down. But it's been a year, and the number of browser crashes less than a handful. Not bad at all really. The metalayer-crawler sucked my battery dry on two occasions a few months back (after that I disabled it and nothing like that has happened again).

My N800 has been and continues to be a superb companion.

Well, I got mine this week. I've been off all week so I have spent quite a few hours with it already. I spent an hour or so on 2007 before I upgraded to 08. I wasn't happy with the performance I was seeing in 07 so i was hoping for a bump in 08....that i never really got.

I can certainly see where some of the complaints in this thread derive from. The device is not consumer ready in my mind either. Luckily, I'm a geek as well, and I got things running on it fairly quickly.

My main purpose for this device was for home theater. A remote to control a PC for music. My original plan was to use Winamp/browse amp, but that hope was shattered when I seen how slooooow the browser was loading pages. If my song folder has lots a few hundred mp3's in it, it takes forever to list. I tried every skin I could get my hand on, and while "I" can use it, I don't think any other lesser user will be able which defeats why I bought it in the first place. I tried Slimserver, wawi, Signal and a few more i can't recall and they all had their flaws....mainly surrounding the slow browser. The same browser which likes to hang and crash from time to time...lovely.

Actually, the entire catalog of programs I've gotten so far all seem to have some issues with something, somehow.

Luckily, there is one little Gem that gets around this devices little quirks....rdesktop. When rdesktop does run, as sometimes it takes a few tries, I can do anything i want, much MUCH faster on my Windows MCE machine. Browse the web, control itunes, control winamp, check email, use MCE.....all much faster.

So, why is the browser in MAemo so @#$@#$ slow? This is an internet pad right? wouldn't it be critical to have a speedy internet browser? It seems to have issues with even basic text type pages at times. And no, it's not my internet, 6 meg dsl line.

If it wasn't for rdesktop...this thing probably...might still, go on ebay. I don't understand it really, it certainly has potential, besides the camera, it seems well built. The screen is nice, speakers are ok, mic even works ok. To me it's a little too small for my purpose, but that is pref.

All I know is that if Nokia doesn't pull this thing together...NOW, they are going to be left in the dust with all of the upcoming Mids and umpc's coming, heck even the touch/iphone.

I do like it ...i think, don't get me wrong.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by newf View Post
[ ... ]
All I know is that if Nokia doesn't pull this thing together...NOW, they are going to be left in the dust with all of the upcoming Mids and umpc's coming, heck even the touch/iphone.

I do like it ...i think, don't get me wrong.
Understand and I am with you on this, but I would NEVER have an Apple anything *ever* again :-(.

One reason I have avoided that thread on what one would like to see in the n900. If Nokia keeps up like this I, for one, will not be participating.

The n810 impressed me *not at all*.

I am also very much in love with my n800, but most of the positive feelings I have for it came from the community and most of the hostilities and disgust come from what came from Nokia, sad to say.

I was a GREAT proponent of Nokia before this experience :-(.

Only thing that keeps me with this is the fine job the community is doing supporting it. Were it not a linux device, it would have already been history.

Next device, unless something changes seriously and soon, is probably going to be the EEE PC.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I wasn't happy with the performance I was seeing in 07 so i was hoping for a bump in 08....that i never really got.
Two words: unrealistic expectations.

This is not your Core 2 Duo desktop.

My main purpose for this device was for home theater. A remote to control a PC for music. My original plan was to use Winamp/browse amp, but that hope was shattered when I seen how slooooow the browser was loading pages.
mpd + mmpc

mpd requires linux box yes? i need windows based, but the idea of mpd/mmc is what i am looking 4

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
mpd requires linux box yes? i need windows based, but the idea of mpd/mmc is what i am looking 4
No, mpd runs on just about anything.