Active Topics

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Here's a question (hope it hasn't been answered yet): will Nokia offer a developer discount program like they did for the N800? That's probably the only way I'll get one, and I'd like to assure that Maemo Mapper works on the N810, even if it's made obsolete by built-in mapping applications....
You, sir, should be a sure thing. Almost makes me feel guilty for applying. Almost.

http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...192708879.html

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Here's a question (hope it hasn't been answered yet): will Nokia offer a developer discount program like they did for the N800? That's probably the only way I'll get one, and I'd like to assure that Maemo Mapper works on the N810, even if it's made obsolete by built-in mapping applications....
Hardly, Maemo Mapper still has satellite imagery (a feature not found anywhere else) and free voice navigation.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Hardly, Maemo Mapper still has satellite imagery (a feature not found anywhere else) and free voice navigation.
Maemo Mapper is a very great software but its use of Google Maps and navigation directions is not very official/legal :
"The imagery is copyrighted and may not be copied, even if modified or merged with other data or software."

This is why I actively support OpenStreetMap a least for having mapping data ; I've not the material to contribute to OpenAerialMap !

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
@gnuite, they should give you a free unit, not a discounted one.
Maybe the included maps could be used by maemo mapper (thouh I doubt that'll be the case).

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Maemo Mapper is a very great software but its use of Google Maps and navigation directions is not very official/legal :
"The imagery is copyrighted and may not be copied, even if modified or merged with other data or software."
That is exactly why Maemo Mapper uses OpenStreetMap as the default map provider. Users can enter other map sources, but that is of course up to them.

Where I live, OSM is actually more detailed than Google Maps, so little reason to switch

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Maybe you missed my post few weeks back where I gave "go ahead" signal to keep developing MaemoMapper... The maps application with routing features will not be free, thus there is room for free MaemoMapper sofware...

My question about the 810 is will I be able to stream Sirius over wifi using the browser. The problem on the 800 seems to be that there is nothing on the 800 that can feed the stream to a media player. I get all the way to the end but nothing plays because the player is not accessed with the feed.

Could someone with either an N810 or the N800 with the new (2008) flash image post the following please? This assumes you have a working terminal - from the Nokia website it looked as though this comes installed.

I'm a bit surprised no-one's posted this information yet - is there some problem (legal? or is no-one able to get a terminal/ssh session working?).

Out put of dmesg as soon as possible after boot (i.e. as soon as the desktop comes up)
e.g. "dmesg > dmesg.txt"

Contents of /sys filesystem
e.g. "find /sys/ > sys_contents.txt

List of kernel modules
e.g. "find /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/ > kernel_module_list.txt"

List of DSP modules
e.g. "find /lib/dsp/modules/ > dsp_module_list.txt"

Thanks,

Simon

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Could someone with either an N810 or the N800 with the new (2008) flash image post the following please? This assumes you have a working terminal - from the Nokia website it looked as though this comes installed.

I'm a bit surprised no-one's posted this information yet - is there some problem (legal? or is no-one able to get a terminal/ssh session working?).

Out put of dmesg as soon as possible after boot (i.e. as soon as the desktop comes up)
e.g. "dmesg > dmesg.txt"

Contents of /sys filesystem
e.g. "find /sys/ > sys_contents.txt

List of kernel modules
e.g. "find /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/ > kernel_module_list.txt"

List of DSP modules
e.g. "find /lib/dsp/modules/ > dsp_module_list.txt"

Thanks,

Simon
Here you go... the "sys_contents" operation failed due to too big file size or something?

EDIT: These are on N800 having OS2008.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (15.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: txt dsp_module_list.txt (911 Bytes, 250 views)
File Type: txt kernel_module_list.txt (770 Bytes, 221 views)

Last edited by Mara; 2007-10-20 at 18:48.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Damn Mara. Beat me to the punch